Join our zoo community

The animals who more suffer in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by FelipeDBKO, 25 Mar 2016.

1. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Yes, I know :)
    Elephants in big safaris should almost not notice the difference between captivity and nature, and some polar bears (though few) live in large enclosures in some zoos in Russia.

Unfortunately I don't know if I can say the same of cetaceans. Usually they are created as show attractions, and not for simple but wonderful admiration in a large tank.

J-K likes this.
  2. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

EVERY animal in a zoo is a SHOW ATTRACTION, not only polar bears. The only reason for zoos is to DISPLAY wild animals for show,thats why they are founded for..

By the way-people wouldn't know NOTHING about Cetaceans if they wouldn't be kept in CAPTIVITY.I guess, tehy are doing better in captivity than alltez dogs and cats at private homes and, of course, the animals what are eaten by animal gentle people....

Large polar bear exhibits in Russia-where ? I thought, you think polar bears suffer in zoos ? So it makes no diffrecne if they are kept in small or large exhibits, they suffer....

And why are you visit Zoos ? To see Wild Animals, I guess ? So you pay entree fee to see animals suffer in captivity...;) Zoos can only exist from the money humans pay them to see the captive, suffering animals. So the only way for you to help these poor creatures is to avoid any zoo....:)Instead of supporting Zoos, give this Money to Peta., they use it to close all zoos and make the suffering of all captive animals an end.

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Doing so, will eventualy end up with zoos don't having enough funds to buy food for their animals, and to pay sallaries for employers, and you'll make zoo animals to suffer, or to suffer even more; at the same time they can't be returned to the wild, and what will happen with them?

Altough that will never happen... as zoos besides other things (conservation, education, research, raising funds for in situ conservation), are also companies who employ a large number of workers, and have big economic and cultural/recreational influence in the local areas.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are three species currently being kept in the U.S.

~Thylo:cool:

5. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For those that responded about quetzals in captivity, is it just the resplendent quetzal that is not in captivity?

6. ThylacineAlive

Resplendent Quetzal is kept in Mexico as well as off-exhibit at the Dallas World Aquarium.

7. Nikola Chavkosk

In Europe in captivity, there were: Crested quetzal, Pavonine quetzal & Resplendent quetzal, and the currently kept Golden-headed quetzal. This is from ZooTierliste.

8. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why are they off exhibit in Dallas?

9. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For elephants, those zoos which have big, stable social groups have happy elephants.

It mirrors history of chimpanzees and other primates in captivity, where behavioral stereotypies practically disappeared when zoos started keeping primates in social groups similar to the wild. I seen many rather basic but big cages where monkeys and apes behaved normally and bred well, because their main mental need was to have enough company of their kind.

Interestingly, activists often overlook it, simply because they project their own species (humans can live happily in a single apartment) to animals.

For elephants, important is also to have soft surface and good emotional connection (trust) to their keepers. Elephants are happy with strict keeper, as long as they know they can trust him. It mirrors natural situation of elephant herd.

But as within the lifespan of an elephant, 50% of wild elephants were killed, even ones in worst zoos and circuses still suffer less than average free elephant.

But it was discussed on this forum several years ago.

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Please check your information before you place such comments - I've taken care for 3 myself, the oldest of them died at an age of 26 years in captivity and now-a-days they are even bred succesfully at some Mexican collections !

11. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

DWA is the only place with resplendent and crested in the USA. 1.3 resplendent, at least 1.1 crested. They have golden headed both on and off exhibit. The owner was awesome enough to show me the resplendent- there's a photo (though a horrible phone quality) in the gallery. They're off exhibit for breeding. All four resplendent are captive bred- 2 from ZooMAT, 2 from a private breeder. All three have bred, but offspring number is unknown. No offspring from the resplendent yet, but they are exhibit serious nesting behavior now.

12. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most animals kept in good zoos lead healthy lives with reduced stress. Those that are most likely to suffer are the most intelligent species that are kept under inadequate conditions.

The highly intelligent species are those that are long lived, social, have long developmental periods, and have the greatest cerebral development. The animals that fall into this category are the larger primates, cetaceans, elephants and the larger parrots and cockatoos. There are other species that are prone to behavioural problems especially the bears.

All of these groups offer challenges in their captive care that we must continue to address. Priorities are to keep them in appropriate social groups in stimulating environments.

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

IMO one of the species that still raises major problems in captivity, both in housing and environment is the Bornean Orangutan. Less social than its Sumatran counterpart and with a tendency to become sluggish and inactive if not offered sufficient stimulation to exercise, many zoos still struggle to offer them what they need.

14. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All the larger primates offer challenges in maintaining them happy and healthy, and behavioural problems are very common. In the last 30 years I have seen huge improvements in the way we keep primates but there is still a lot of room for improvement, and we need to develop creative ways in which to keep them. I recall the first time I saw gorillas in the wild they were so much more animated, and interactive with the environment, and each other, than the captive animals I have seen.

Orangs offer particular challenges because of their arboreal habits and their social structures. Many zoo orang enclosures are akin to deprivation chambers.

15. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member

Various zoos such as Bronx Zoo and other Mexican zoos keep quetzals.

16. Nikola Chavkosk

If I had mine zoo, in wich I would keep chimpanzees, or I would love to keep also bornean orangutan(s), I would keep them in multi-parts enclosures planted with a lot of trees, high grass, and one enclosure with pool. Every two days, the apes will be in different enclosures, and every time there will be a new novel thing(s) in the enclosure. I plan for example four enclosures each 225.0 square metres (15x15 metres), for about three male chimps or small chimp family. Enclosures will be planted with fig trees, olive trees, willow trees, and some ever-green broadleave non-toxic trees as many seen in cities. There will be true forest floor made of bark, leaves, small plants, sand, grass. I will put and hang fruits (food) on the trees, so the apes could spent a time while searching them. I will use strange smells for them (eg. leopard hairs), will grow high grass, and plus there will be tunels from the enclosures, to around periphery of the zoo, so the apes could investigate the filed pretty faraway from their enclosures. I will ,,shower'' them in hot days, if they like that. I will try to cope with the social groupings as in the wild (particular for bornean orangutans), if possible. I would give them also sweatened powdered cocoa boiled in water (I must research whether the cocoa may be toxic for apes, as it is for cats, dogs), as the cocoa is excelent antioxidant, rich also in magnesium, copper, and manganese, good for hair coat, and plant product from tropical regions, among other foods as part of their diet.

17. ThylacineAlive

Please keep the fantasy in the fantasy forum, please. Thank you:)

18. Nikola Chavkosk

I just wanted to present some ways for stimulation of behavior in apes, and ask for more possible solutions, wich will make the apes not feel borring. That is.

19. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Who said that all zoos are malicious (you? :p). The only difference between zoos and sanctuaries is that in zoos people can see the animals. And the money that guests pay to visit the zoo helps to keep the animals.