Join our zoo community

Ark Wildlife Park The Ark Wildlife Park - News Thread 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Sand Cat, 5 Jun 2018.

1. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member

There doesn't seem to be a news thread for this new(ish) collection at Boston, Lincolnshire, so I have decided to create one as the park has just announced some interesting new arrivals on Facebook.

The new additions comprise: two Rusty Spotted Genets called Keer & Marvel, a Common Genet called Cadier, a Haussa Genet named Mosi, and an American Red Squirrel named Japie. All are rescued animals and all have come from the Netherlands. They have all been moved in to their respective enclosures, but the park is advising that they are unlikely to venture out much, if at all, at first whilst they are settling in.

Very exciting new arrivals and further proof that this collection is definitely one to watch!

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

Arizona Docent likes this.
  3. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I spent a couple of days in Lincolnshire last November / December time (was around the UAE GP time) and I visited Ark and had a good chat with the gentleman who owns the place. (His wife makes amazing homemade food in the cafe, the cakes were lovely).

They are effectively a rescue centre and all their animals are rescues or former pets. They had a few good reptiles as well, and a Morelets Crocodile in its own small exhibit.

The collection is very small but space is also limited. Trying to find the place is a nightmare as there are no sign posts on any of the main roads and it is pretty much in the back of a housing estate.

There were a lot of domestics there, but also a few cool smaller animals like a Kinkajou, Palm Civet and Jaguarundi's (One with only 3 legs).

The owner was saying last November they were building a larger area to the side of the park as they were in talks about getting a pair of rescue Wolves from somewhere but I don't know if anything had come of that.

It was a small place which took no more than 45/60 minutes to go round, but it's close to Woodside and also the Seal Sanctuary so you could easily pair it with another place and make a day of it.

A wouldn't really say it's a collection to watch though, as it's very small, a bit farmy and no real space to expand and it is mainly domestics and reptiles. All the animals are rescues so it's unlikely they will ever get any bigger attractions and it is certainly not big enough to have any large Zoo type animals.

The Lynx they had there was a pet of the owners who he had, had since she was a kitten and she was very voice responsive to the owner, she looked pretty much tame !

4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Scroll down to July 23 post
    "The start of a large new habitat for another rescue project, a massive thank you to Sage roofing for there generous donation towards this project."

and then 26th
    "It won't be long before we can announce our big new arrivals, in the mean time however we're pleased to announce the arrival late next week of a group of yellow mongoose who were looking for a new home."

5. Zooreviewsuk

Were they not alluding the Genets that they announced weeks ago ?

6. Sand Cat

The genets are already on display I think!

7. littleRedPanda

The news about this project was posted after the Genets went on display. The photo looks like a section between the Fox enclosure and the little wallaby house

8. littleRedPanda

there is something else about new inhabitants for the island too (posted Aug 3rd)

"Following months of preparation we are almost ready to announce the arrival of the beautiful new residents who will be coming to live on the island in the middle of the wildlife lake."

9. Zooreviewsuk

I can't remember seeing any lakes there ! Place was barely big enough to have a pond !

10. littleRedPanda

It wasn't accessible when I visited, but is just a small lake the other side of the Llama/Alpaca goats etc.

11. Zooreviewsuk

Flamingo's a given then ......

12. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member

If you go up past the goat enclosure (near the play area), there is a gate that leads to another field, that has a lake and an island. I was given told to what was planned to go there when I visited early this year, but whether it's still the same or not I don't know, so I won't speculate.

13. littleRedPanda

Another teaser on facebook, with "another species of fabulous feline" due to join the existing lynx and jaguarundi

14. littleRedPanda

The island will be open on sunday from 11 and it's inhabitants revealed. No idea if the new cat or the other rescued species will be ready though.

15. Sand Cat

They've posted on Facebook now that the island inhabitants are Ring Tailed Lemurs.

16. littleRedPanda

I think i'll wait to see what cat they are getting then.

17. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

Flamingos are too valuable IMHO to ever come on the rescue 'market'.

18. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member

The feline that the FB page was referring to was a pair two servals the park are expecting to receive soon.