Join our zoo community

the aspect of zoos I like the least

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by cwenwyn, 29 Mar 2009.

1. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I went to Melbourne zoo on saturday, was in the butterfly house for about 45 minutes taking in the beauty of it, unfortunately I also had to witness two girls ( about my age or older) trying to get pictures with butterflies on their hands. I observed them, they ended up killing no less than 10. :mad:

2. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

That's terrible, the first time I've actually heard of visitors killing animals. :(

3. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

quite a few zoos have that probelm with butterflies :S

4. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

were the girls with a school group or just visiting?

what are you thoughts on having a supervisor in the butterfly house.

5. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Visiting,

and yes I feel having a supervisor in the butterfly house would be very good not only to watch out but on hand to answer any questions.

6. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

Chester has a group of volunteers in there at all times! easy and cheap way to man it ^^

7. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i've said before, children just need a good clip round the ear hole!

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Maybe we should start with you? :rolleyes:

9. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

very funny, but if i behaved at a zoo or anywhare else like some of the kids mentioned here thats what i would get!

Last edited: 24 Sep 2009
  10. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

Really? I hate to think what you get when you misbehave ;).

11. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

I hate it when information boards on animals tell me obviously wrong information.. for example I was at Thrigby Hall the other day and by some Red Crested Pochards it said 'the Red Crested Pochard is the only example of waterfowl, in the world, that offers food during the courtship display' I instantly said to the sign (weird I know) 'What about the Great Crested Grebe then?!' and walked off... Ha ha

12. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

In fairness, I suspect that's based on 'waterfowl' being defined as a 'member of the order Anseriformes' (ducks, geese, swans, screamers) rather than as 'birds that live on water' - a taxonomic rather than ecological distinction. It's possible there are still counter-examples within Anseriformes, but I'm not sure.

Your point, however, is a good one - it's oddly frequent for myths and half-truths to find their way onto signs. What I love are those alternative common names that no-one ever uses but always get put on the signs. 'Guppy or Millions Fish' is a classic - does anyone actually call them 'Millions Fish' these days? I also always raise a wry smile at Dudley's 'Yellow Mongoose (or Red Meerkat)'. Red Meerkat??

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

On the topic of school visits, and the requirement for anyone working with children to have a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check, I've often mused over the fact that the approved adults accompanying the school parties leave them unsupervised while they are at a zoo.Who knows what dangers lurk? But I hadn't reckoned on this:

London Zoo faced with closure as all animals fail CRB checks
    A top tourist attraction faced an uncertain future last night as it transpired that every single animal residing within the facility has an inappropriate past, rendering them ineligible to come into contact with the millions of children who visit the zoo every year. 'We were horrified to find this exalted children's institution awash with murderers, thieves and gross sexual offenders,' said a representative of Westminster Council, 'How on Earth can we possibly sanction the exposure of our children to a place where every single inhabitant boasts a public decency conviction for appearing naked in public? Except for Jim Lad the Parrot, of course, with whom the board was satisified that the roller skates he dons for his twice-daily show constituted suitable attire.'

A friend sent this to me so I have no idea of the source.

14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

15. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

wtf is this London Zoo thing?? It's not as if it's even April Fool's Day!!

16. taun

taun Well-Known Member

If you have watched the news recently there has been some new rules on extra activities outside of schools, this story is a mickey take out of the news story.

There are plenty of websites out there that do this kind of thing, I would also remind you that although you didn't write the word, you should refrain from swearing.

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Thanks for giving the explanation, taun! Maybe I should have added a ;). I didn't think anyone would take it seriously :)

18. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Me too :D:D:D this could be a thread in its own right