Join our zoo community

The Bavarian Adventures Of A Tea-Loving Dave - April 2015

Discussion in 'Germany' started by TeaLovingDave, 3 Mar 2015.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed. Given your enquiry, it appears you were not satisfied with my reply. Why haven't you addressed me directly on this behalf?

Vogelpark Olching was founded and is managed by a group of private bird lovers. What started as a small collection consisting of standard species and colour morphs with a focus on psittacines has grown over the years to an institution including an Andean condor, Bali mynahs, Common kingfisher (both wild and captive), Lesser yellow-headed vultures and São Tomé Barn Owls.
    Vogelpark Olching - ganz nah bei München - Unser Park
    Vogelpark Olching

Take the S3 to stop "Olching"; from there, follow the signs.

You're welcome.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

São Tomé Barn Owls sound exciting to me. Are these common/rare in Europe (or even in the UK specifically, seeing that's closer to TLD)?

3. Batto

@Chli: ZTL lists three husbandries in Europe, all in Germany; two of them have been successful in breeding them.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

thanks for that. I know TLD likes a rare owl....

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Well, I wondered if anyone else had more to say on the matter :) as your reply gave the impression you didn't have any opinion on the collection. That said, I rather suspect most people on Zoochat have not visited, as it *is* a bit of an obscure collection :D

These are, in fact, one of the reasons I am looking into visiting :p though not the sole reason; another is the fact that as the previous two days (Stuttgart and Innsbruck) will be quite hectic, a sedate collection might be helpful to keep Helly's mental energies at a healthy level, and her anxiety levels low :p

If we don't do Olching on the Sunday we will probably do Augsberg, and have an extra day of wandering around Munich seeing the sights later in our trip.

6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hate to point this out Dave but we're still waiting on your Leipzig and second Tierpark visit to be posted, it's getting close to 12 months now buddy... ;) :p

7. Batto

Well, I stated my opinion regarding Olching quite clearly, didn't I?;)

As already pointed out, your general trip will be quite hectic. I don't know your gf personally, but why not ask her what she wants to do to relax?
    Maybe a trip to Europe's largest spa would be more to her liking?
    THERME ERDING-Home

You're aware that visiting Augsburg Zoo won't leave you a lot of time to visit Munich the same day?

As for culinary attractions, see my first post.
    Regarding Bavarian restaurants in Munich:
    Restaurants in Mnchen - Die zehn besten bayerischen Lokale - Mnchen - Sddeutsche.de

8. TeaLovingDave

Very true :D

Oh, I don't mean the same day :) to clarify: currently my plan entails doing Olching on Sunday 12th April, and Augsburg on Wednesday 15th April, the day prior to our returning home. However if we choose not to visit Olching, we'll probably do Augsburg on the Sunday instead - this would give us a spare day to wander around Munich seeing the sights. Either way, as we arrive into Munich very early on Wednesday 8th April we will also be doing some sightseeing on that day.

Helly is very much not a "spa" type - but I will suggest it nonetheless :p if she is not interested, her parents and Claire might well be!

This list of restaurants in Munich is very interesting and helpful, thanks :)

9. Batto

Keep in mind that getting from the airport to the inner city of Munich will take a while. As your hotel is near the Viktualienmarkt, take S8 till stop "Marienplatz". The Mariensäule, Neues Rathaus, Viktualienmarkt, Theatinerkirche, Peterskirche, Frauenkirche...are all within walking distance. You can do the dumb thing all tourists do and watch the Glockenspiel at 11 am, 12 and 5 pm. After that, you can walk up one of Germany's most expensive shopping streets, the Kaufingerstraße, till you reach the Karlsplatz (and one of Germany's oldest and largest McD's ;) ). On the way past the Museum of Hunting (whose array of historical weapons should be of interest for any historian), take note of this statue; it's based on a local legend of an unlucky goldsmith & thievish magpie and depicts one of the original towers of old Munich.
    https://quizzymuc.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/der-goldschmied-im-turm/

Say hello to the European medicinal leeches kept in a fishbowl at a pharmacy window on the way. ;)

Or go to Dallmayr's Cafe for some deli food and coffee.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANijCl4QGgE

Hopefully, you still have some money in your wallet after visiting...

Last edited: 10 Mar 2015
  10. TeaLovingDave

Very interesting :D will be sure to bear this in mind.

36 hours until my flight - anyone got last-minute advice?

11. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

I wish you safe journeys, visible animals, and keepers who aren't unwilling to take you behind the scenes! :D

~Thaumatibis

12. TeaLovingDave

In Munich now :) flight went smoothly and Helly and myself have just had a very nice walk in the Englisch Garten north of Marienplatz, where many waterfowl taxa and crested tits were sighted!

13. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Very nice, Munich is a great city which I'm sure you'll enjoy.
    Have fun :)

14. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Have a great time! :)

15. TeaLovingDave

Back in the UK now :) the trip went very well, although Salzburg was scrapped to allow Helly to recharge her batteries somewhat. A full report will start to be posted once I have finished the final few chapters of the Berlin report - until then if anyone has any questions about the collections I visited I will happily answer.

16. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Glad to hear your trip was safe and smooth!

17. Brum

So what collections did you end up seeing Dave? Were you bothered about dropping Salzburg?

18. TeaLovingDave

It would have been nice to have gone there - and the museum there - but there is always another time :)

I did Munich Hellabrunn, Stuttgart Wilhelma, Innsbruck Alpenzoo, Vogelpark Olching, Tiergarten Nurnburg and Zoo Augsburg, in that order.

19. Brum

That's still a mighty impressive selection! :)

Any zoo stand out as a particular highlight? I'm going to say Stuttgart was probably your favourite? ;) :confused:

20. TeaLovingDave

You'd be wrong - I think Alpenzoo just about edges in front of Stuttgart. They were all good collections, though :) faults in all of them but much to be praised too.