Join our zoo community

The Best American City For Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 23 Jun 2019.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen some discussion in the past regarding what state is the best for zoos, though I haven't seen much discussion regarding the city. There are dozens of great city's in America, and pretty much every major city (Ignoring Vegas and Austin) has at least one great zoo. I've compiled a list of what I think to be some of the greatest American city's for zoo nerds based on the quality and quantity of zoos present.

San Diego, California
    This ones a no-brainer. It goes without saying that the city home to the worlds most famous zoo is on this list, and there is no denying that the San Diego zoo is one of the greatest zoos out there. Half of the zoo is enclosed within a natural tropical rainforest environment with countless species in (mostly) high quality exhibit areas. What other zoo can you experience that? The Safari Park also is equally brilliant with its multi-acre field exhibits and and up close encounters. This duo of zoological powerhouses alone could make San Diego the premiere zoological destination. SeaWorld San Diego, as controversial as it may be is also an extremely popular park and when it comes to rare species, is a must see for many zoo enthusiasts. Where else can you find killer whales, pilot whales, emperor penguins and pacific walruses all at the same park, not to mention some of the only Guadalupe fur seals anywhere in captivity. Other smaller locations include the hidden gems of the Living Coast Discovery Center and Birch Aquarium in Chula Vista and La Jolla respectively. Overall, San Diego is of course a fantastic city for zoo nerds for the two big parks alone and the rest of the additional facilities are just the cherry on top of it all.

New York, New York
    Another fantastic, if predictable location for zoo nerds. Without a shadow of a doubt the Bronx zoo is the highlight here, easily one of Americas top five zoological parks. Of course the Bronx zoo is only one of the many parks operated by the WCS. Alongside the impressive looking New York Aquarium which could certainly be argued as being in the top 5 Aquariums in the USA, there are a trio of very small, but relatively high quality looking parks. The highly regarded Central Park Zoo is only five acres making one of the smallest major zoos in the nation, but has also become an iconic location in New York. There are also the lesser known Queens Zoo and Prospect Park Zoo, which are also owned and operated by the WCS. Bronx may be leagues above the rest, but Americas largest city is of course one of its greatest for zoos.

Chicago, Illinois
    The city I've seen for as long as I can remember has a trio of excellent parks. The suburban giant, the Brookfield Zoo, may not be at the head of the zoological pack anymore, however it's still a must see for enthusiasts none the less. Though almost exactly contrary to the large, spread out grounds of Brookfield is the Lincoln Park Zoo. One of the oldest zoos in the nation which despite its small size, has some of the most beautiful historic buildings you can find alongside high quality exhibitry. Though Chicago peaks for most zoo fanatics at the Shedd Aquarium. With roughly 1500 species in a spectacular set of habitats Shedd is considered to be the nations greatest aquarium. Chicago's trio of zoological behemoths all provide a different experience.

Saint Louis, Missouri
    Home to yet another zoo that is in the nations top 5, the Saint Louis Zoo has everything anyone could want from a zoo. Rare species, excellent exhibits, great history and it's free. It also has the smaller, more stylized Grant's Farm, which caters to the much more casual visitors. There is also the much less well known Endangered Wolf Center which from I heard is the best of its kind. This is all well and good, but once the upcoming Saint Louis Aquarium opens in the coming months Saint Louis will only get better as a top spot for zoological attractions.

Tampa, Florida
    Florida has over 100 zoos, and it happens that two of the most well know parks are both located in the city of Tampa Bay. Zoo Tampa is of course a very well balanced zoo with no real weak points and is consistent throughout the park. Then of course there is Busch Gardens, the second most visited zoological park in the US for rather obvious reasons. Both of these facilities has something to offer to both zoo nerds and the casual visitor. Combine that with the Florida Aquarium and you already have a trio of solid parks. There is also the Clearwater Marine Aquarium home to the dolphin that inspired the story of the film "Dolphin Tale".

There are certainly some others I missed, the Dallas/Fort Worth area is of course a hot spot. Would be curious to see any other thoughts on this.

2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

New York Aquarium being ranked so high is doubtful - with how much of it was destroyed and a major exhibit only recently reopening, there’s still much work to do. However, the Staten Island Zoo and Long Island Aquarium are also part of the area, and should contribute to this city.

I would consider either New York or the DFW area the best.

Pleistohorse and nczoofan like this.
  3. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

Surprised Atlanta, GA wasn't included in your list, considering the Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta Botanical Garden, and Zoo Atlanta are all located there. All three are world class facilities.

The Chicagoland area also has a couple smaller "hidden gem" facilities. The Cosley Zoo in Wheaton, IL is an AZA-accredited 5 acre facility focused on Illinois wildlife, there aren't any big flashy species but the exhibits are pretty solid and expansions are planned soon. The Wildlife Discovery Center in Lake Forest, IL is a small free facility with a very impressive (and largely rescued) reptile collection. They actively work with the AZA, Crocodilian Advisory Group, and IUCN.

Hipporex likes this.
  4. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Although I haven't been to America, my top destination will be San Diego, Dallas and New York.

Pleistohorse likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Don't forget the wonderful Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum!

World Bird Sanctuary is filled to the brim with rare birds, some of which it is the only holder on the continent. Lone Elk Park is pleasant as well.

6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Turtle Back zoo is only 20 miles from Manhattan so that’s another one in the New York City area.

jayjds2 likes this.
  7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In that case, the Bergen County Zoo is also a part of it.

nczoofan likes this.
  8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't count the Long Island Aquarium as being part of New York City, it's pretty far outside of it. Staten Island does indeed count, though, making six solid collections for New York City. The American Museum of Natural History also displays live animals here and there as well.

~Thylo

nczoofan likes this.
  9. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What counts for this? Is it zoos in city limits because in that case San diego zoo safari park would not count. Or is it zoos in the metro area (which given America’s sprawling cities makes more sense)?

10. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is a really awesome post!

If the San Diego Safari Park is included as a part of San Diego(which I’m not sure is the case), I think it’s hard to argue with San Diego being the best American city for zoos(possibly the worlds best?).

I’m also not sure which American city should take the number 2 spot, I think it’s between Chicago and New York, But I don’t know which of them is better than the other. New York has one excellent collection in the Bronx and then a lot of smaller establishments while Chicago doesn’t have anything as good as the Bronx, but has 3 major facilities that are each highly enjoyable. It’s a tough pick but I’d probably go with Chicago.

After those 3 it’s a toss-up, with Cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Saint Louis and maybe Tampa all being great cities for zoo-goers

11. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Because of the Safari Park association with the zoo in only makes sense for it to be included. It's certainly not In the city limits but I believe its close enough for it to count.
    I remember that Wildlife Discovery Center, I used to go there all the time as a kid. Though I remember checking it out again (admittedly rather briefly) and the only animals still in the building that I noticed were the butterflies in the walkthrough area and maybe a few small reptiles. If where counting the nearby facilities in Chicago than the Willowbrook Wildlife Center in Glen Ellyn - a small rescue and rehabilitation center with an outdoor loop featuring birds of prey and small candids, and a building with small birds and herps - would certainly count. As would the crappy little Phillips Park Zoo in Aurora - a free but quite depressing and decaying establishment.

12. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

Technically, the Safari Park is within city limits as shown here: Screenshot_20190623-075231~2.png

Arizona Docent likes this.
  13. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

On the other hand, if we're in using metro areas we should include SEALife in Carlsbad.

14. ThylacineAlive

That doesn't make any sense... The WCS used to own an island off the coast of Georgia they used as a breeding facility, but I doubt that it'd still count as New York just because of the association with Bronx. You'd also have to count Prague's new center in Vietnam if that were the case.

I'd argue that the safari park definitely doesn't count as San Diego, the park's own website lists it as being in Escondido and it's over 20 miles from the actual city of San Diego.

I'd argue Berlin and Singapore will beat out any of the US cities for the world's best zoo city.

~Thylo

15. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Technically a city, but also a country? :p

16. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dallas/Fort Worth should definitely be included in the top five American cities. I’d argue for San Antonio to be in the top ten easily.

1. San Diego
    2. New York
    3. Dallas/Fort Worth
    4. Seattle/Tacoma (including Northwest Trek)
    5. Chicago
    6. San Antonio
    7. Tampa/St Petersburg
    8. Washington/Baltimore (a stretch maybe...but they do share an airport)
    9. Boston or Phoenix. Coin toss.
    I’m underwhelmed by Atlanta.

Arizona Docent, TinoPup and TZDugong like this.
  17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm not arguing for or against the inclusion of the safari park, but PP's post specifically mentioned association with the zoo as well as it being close to the city limits.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  18. ThylacineAlive

You are correct, of course. I suppose this would be easier if there was a more solid definition of how close the zoo has to be to the city limits to count as being a zoo for said city.

~Thylo

19. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As has been pointed out, technically the park is in the city of San Diego. You just have to go to Escondido to get there.

20. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I think one could read the question to mean which is the best city to visit for zoos, in which case having great zoos in proximate cities is an advantage. To give a non-US example, when zoo nerds visit Tokyo they always visit Zoorasia even though that is actually in Yokohama. So Zoorasia makes Tokyo better for zoos. Also, because the Tokyo and Yokohama subway systems are integrated it 'feels' like one city.