Join our zoo community

The Best American City For Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 23 Jun 2019.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That is what I was intentionally thinking with the opening post. Though of course it has to reasonable. A scenario like the zoo and safari park is one thing, but if someone said, say going to Tampa to visit Disney that would be a different story.

Arizona Docent and TinoPup like this.
  2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One could also argue for Emerald Forest Bird Gardens to be included as well.

3. MurphyFox

MurphyFox Well-Known Member

Boston is also a very good one. They have the Franklin Park Zoo, Stone Zoo, New England Aquarium, and Museum of Science (which is accredited by the AZA). The EcoTarium, Capron Park Zoo, and Roger Williams Park Zoo are also nearby (And maybe the Buttonwood Park Zoo)

Hammy and Pleistohorse like this.
  4. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’ve been messing around with a map site, being inspired by this thread. I pick a Zoo and place a circle with a radius of 60 miles from the center. I tried Stone Zoo and got a pretty good collection of other zoos within the circle. But then I placed it over Southwicks Zoo in Mendon, Massachusetts...we end up with the following:

Southwicks Zoo
    Stone Zoo
    Franklin Park Zoo
    Capron Park Zoo
    Buttonwood Park Zoo
    Roger Williams Park Zoo
    New England Aquarium
    Mystic Aquarium
    Lupa Zoo
    The Zoo in Forest Park
    The Ecotarium
    And the Woods Hole Science Aquarium (just outside the circle). You also end up with a couple farm/petting zoos, and three small city Parks and Rec Zoos (mostly farm animals, Fallow Deer, Emus, and Peacocks). Plus three zoos that have closed in the last 40 years of so...mercifully the New London Bates Park Zoo and Norwich’s Mohegan Park Zoo...and sadly....Benson’s Wild Animal Park. The Boston area is not bad for Zoo buffs. The zoos are smaller, the Aquariums world class, and Roger Williams and Southwicks each have pretty nice collections. You also end up with four Natural History and two Whaling Museums (of differing quality).

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What about San Francisco?
    San Francisco Zoo
    Oakland Zoo
    California Academy of Sciences
    Aquarium of the Bay
    Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
    CuriOdyssey

Pleistohorse likes this.
  6. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While maybe not as prominent as some others listed, I think it presents a good case. I'm not sure I consider Six Flags to be San Francisco, they're across the bay and up. Their collection has been slowly spiraling downwards as it is.

ThylacineAlive likes this.