Join our zoo community

The best organization?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by savethelephant, 8 Apr 2015.

?

Which conservation organization does the best and most work

Poll closed 8 May 2015.
  1. WWF (world wildlife fund)

8.3%
  2. WCS (wildlife conservation society)

25.0%
  3. ABS (american bird society)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. DOW(defenders of wildlife)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other(post below)

66.7%
  1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Conservation organizations (most of the time) do a great job of protecting wildlife but which is best?

2. savethelephant

I may be a little biased because my home zoo is the Bronx:D, but I chose WCS with their work with tigers in Asia and elephants and Africa amongst more lesser known jobs.

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How is this poll relevant when you've missed off ZSL! :p

I'm no fan of the zoo but the Society has contributed so much to science that it's impossible to ignore. Their in-situ and ex-situ work is pretty good going as well, let's look at one example:- Arabian oryx! Nuff said! :p

And let's not forget a certain Fellow called Darwin... ;)

4. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I think that the best conservation organisation/charity will be a small organisation and none of the big ones that you have listed above. When I lived in Saudi I supported the Foundation for Endangered Wildlife Yemen because I was in personal contact with the director so knew where donations were being spent. I am somewhat sceptical of how much of your donation to big organisations actually goes to helping...

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

your poll seems somewhat biased towards the USA. I have never even heard of the Defenders Of Wildlife - I am assuming it is American, and the name makes it sound like a tree-hugger organisation rather than anything I would consider donating money to.

A poll isn't really at all the best way to determine peoples' opinion on the best conservation organisation because the options are far too limited for them to answer. (Just putting "other" doesn't really cut it, and having answers for "other" posted in the thread defeats the whole purpose of a poll, which is to accurately gauge an answer to the question by looking at the poll results).

6. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Preparing for my visit to Cuba i found that the international wildlife conservation group that is most active on the island is the Wildlife Conservation Society which carries out research in the zapata wetlands protected area to aid the cuban crocodile and the cuban amazon parrot. WCS is truly a global organization. Need i say who my vote is for ?
    Yes ZSL should be mentioned if the poll is to be truly international.

7. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

What's the American Bird Society? Never heard of it.

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For me it is without any doubt the Zoological Society for Conservation of Species and Populations, It started as a German conservation group and now also has a Franch branch.
    This Society ( English ) deals mainly with the "forgotten" species and also work together with many zoos.
    It was this Society which brought the Prince Alfred deer into captivity, works together with many breeding stations in the Philippines and other South East Asian countries, has done a great job on West African primates ( Diana monkey, White-naped mangabey ), has started captive breeding projects with several Amazones, and so on.

9. clm1950

clm1950 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The David SheldricK Wildlife Trust located in Nairobi, Kenya

10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agree one hundred percent.

11. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You are not going to get any consensus regarding your poll. Conservation is a broad term that can describe several different actions (research, habitat protection, monitoring, captive breeding, lobbying, etc.) The more you read into each organization, you'll find that the bigger organizations generally do lobbying and provide grants - things that are considered indirect. Small organizations choose having less responsibilities, greater focus, and provide more direct benefits.

Also not everyone agrees on what form of conservation is the best. There are organizations that cater to the different types of donors as well.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2015
  12. savethelephant

Very interesting answers here and I am glad to hear people are making fun of this(By the way there was no hidden agenda planned or anything like that) and are choosing more obscure choices(which showes you what I know;)) which could help wildlife in all different ways.

13. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

USA-centric poll and completely unrepresentative of the possible options!

I'd agree with LaughingDove that I'd go for a small really hands-on organisation.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

nobody has been making fun of anything. :confused:

Does this mean something different in America?

15. savethelephant

By making fun I mean correcting me and telling me I haven't been exactly correct with my options:)

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is not making fun, it is constructive critisism- not the same at all.;)

17. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Although I don't think this is the best poll, I think the Wildlife Trusts (a few different charities, but basically the same), do a great job, as well as many other less well known charities like Plant life International and actually Kew Gardens.

18. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Some (most?) zoos are charities as well.

19. savethelephant

Alright lets just think of this poll as...biased.(Or is it something else and I am just clueless:D)

20. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Durrell

:p

Hix