Join our zoo community

The best zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Daphne, 16 Aug 2018.

1. Daphne

Daphne Well-Known Member

I have heard great things about Toronto zoo. Whenever I can get to Toronto I will add high park to my list of places to go

2. Daphne

Daphne Well-Known Member

I have never even been to Minnesota. I will be adding this on a list of ones to go to .

3. Daphne

Daphne Well-Known Member

I definitely want to go to the San Diego zoo whenever I can . It won’t be easy but it’s on my list .
    I have heard good things about the Bronx zoo
    Where is the Taronga zoo?
    I have been to the Detroit zoo . It’s been several years ago but I did enjoy it

4. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

San Diego should definitely be on your list, it’s brilliant. Taronga Zoo is located in Sydney, Australia, so it might be a bit harder to get too then the other zoos.

Daphne likes this.
  5. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Just to add my two cents; I always strongly encourage anyone to visit the Toronto Zoo (cards on the table, it is my local zoo). However, I don't think High Park Zoo should be mentioned in the same breath as any of the other zoos listed in this thread. The High Park zoo is an excellent community resource, and is charming. Yet there is nothing remarkable or noteworthy about either it's collection or its exhibits. You can easily see most, if not all of it's collection at other zoos and generally in superior exhibits. It is quite easy to see everything there in under 30 minutes (note though that it is a fair distance from the Toronto Zoo, and Toronto traffic can greatly extended the commute between the two making it a challenge to do both on the same day).
    I fully endorse a visit to the Toronto Zoo, but rather than High Park Zoo I'd suggest spending that time commuting to another city and zoo, or a visit to the Toronto's Ripley Aquarium.

Sarus Crane and TZDugong like this.
  6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The best zoo I personally have visited is the Saint Louis Zoo. Almost all of it is world-class, and the stuff that isn't is average or better. There was not one exhibit I thought was bad.

Daphne likes this.
  7. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't been to a long list of zoos (yet) But my list so far looks something like this
    1. San Diego Zoo, obviously, lets not kid ourselves here ;)
    2. Kansas City Zoo- Love the exhibits and idea that went into each of their exhibits (Except the Tigers of course)
    3. San Diego Safari Park- Its been a couple years since I've visited, but I hope to go back soon (once they get their platypus exhibit)
    4. Living Desert Zoo- I consider it my home zoo, even if the one below is much closer to me, it got me into zoos when I was in second grade.
    5. LA zoo- whats their to say that hasn't been said before? Still have passes though.
    6. Sea World San Diego- The faults are very well documented, but where else where I see a Emperor Penguins, Orcas, and false killer whales?
    7. Topeka Zoo- Ups and downs, love the tropical dome, but the rest of it was meh. Hopefully camp cowabunga makes it move up the list a little bit.
    8. Wright Park Zoo, Dodge City, Kansas- Multiple Tiers below anything else on this list. Don't even look it up. However its where my profile picture came from, and I didn't even have to zoom in to take the picture.

John Marchwick, Daphne and TZDugong like this.
  8. Daphne

Daphne Well-Known Member

Yes I enjoyed st Louis as well . Free admission makes it even better .

birdsandbats likes this.
  9. Daphne

Daphne Well-Known Member

Kansas City zoo is one I am considering going to in the future . Not sure when I will get to go to California but the zoos there are definitely something I want to see .
    I haven’t seen the North Carolina zoo mentioned in this thread . It’s one I am considering going to .

10. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Maybe the title of the thread should be updated to " North American zoos you want to visit"...

11. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, most lists are way too North American in a "best zoo" thread in the General Zoo Discussion section. Of the those zoos I've visited myself, Bronx Zoo would definitely be on such a list.

There are plenty of top zoos on other continents. Taronga, Perth Zoo, Territory Wildlife Park, Singapore Zoo, Prague, Zoo and Tierpark Berlin, Leipzig, Köln, Schönbrunn, Burgers, Rotterdam, Bioparque Amaru... and those are just the ones I've visited myself.

12. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My reply look so odd in this thread....

13. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I want to go to Ohio and do the major zoos there

Daphne likes this.
  14. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thoroughly recommend Zoo Miami, Toronto Zoo and Busch Gardens Tampa. Also, Jacksonville, Lowry Park (now zoo Tampa), St. Louis, Omaha and Philadelphia.

Daphne likes this.
  15. Daphne

Daphne Well-Known Member

I have now been to 3 of them . Columbus, Cincinnati and Toledo. I hope to go to the one in Cleveland at some point .

16. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If you go to Cleveland, it is a long haul, the paths are very long (though the zoo is ginormous), it's just the drastically different altitudes at the zoo. So you better be in shape!

Daphne likes this.
  17. Daphne

Daphne Well-Known Member

Which one did you enjoy the most .

18. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoos I mentioned are all quite different. Zoo and Tierpark Berlin are the most species rich zoos in the world, Burgers has the ecodisplays, Perth en Taronga are full of rarities for a non native visitor, and so on.

19. Daphne

Daphne Well-Known Member

I have never been to a zoo outside the U.S . Would love to someday . Is there a particular one you recommend seeing?

20. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You might want to have a look here for starters: Europe's 50 must see zoos

Batto likes this.