Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo The Big 5-0 | Review of the Bronx Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 24 Dec 2022.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After hinting at it a few times via photos and mentioning it in other threads, here are my thoughts on this superb attraction. Keep in mind that I visited back in mid-August, so some of this may be a bit out of date. Otherwise, sit back, relax, and enjoy this early Christmas present! :)

Review of the Bronx Zoo

Saving Wildlife and Wild Places - Bronx Zoo

Of the five zoological facilities in New York City’s Wildlife Conservation Society, the Bronx Zoo is the largest (265 acres) and probably most well-known. It opened in 1899 with the goal of zoological study, education, and conservation. Overtime, the Bronx achieved some notable firsts, whether that is the zoo world’s first animal hospital (1916), or housing never-before-seen animals in America, like shoebill stork, snow leopard, and James’s flamingo. It has also made significant strides in wildlife preservation, many of which will be further described, and designing several cutting-edge animal habitats. It has even found fame on television via the Animal Planet show “The Zoo,” which not only covers Bronx, but the rest of its WCS brethren as well. Today the huge animal collection consists of over 10,000 specimens, making up more than 700 species.

This is it. All my life, I have visited my hometown zoo that is Milwaukee County; I have gone on vacations, usually consisting of at least one new zoological facility for me to take in; and even got a fresh taste of what the zoo world was like overseas with Edinburgh. And now, I’ve hit a major milestone: #50. The Bronx Zoo has always been on my bucket list for its groundbreaking exhibitry and almost unmatched conservation ethos. I was amazed when I saw and heard about the hard work this Zoo put in on TV (and yes, I am a major fan of the show), giving a new perspective in some areas I hadn’t thought before. All these traits made for what I felt was the perfect candidate for this zoo and animal fan’s landmark. Let’s see how they do it here in the “boogie-down Bronx!”

Animal Exhibit Complexes

Tiger Mountain – Amur and Malayan tigers share a pair of habitats that opened in 2003. These are nice for the striped cats, with a good amount of space (though not huge), the terrain is green and hilly, and the shaded forest setting sets the tone for a memorable experience of viewing tigers. A couple other bonuses include a fish-filled pond with underwater viewing, and a training wall. I only saw a single Amur sleeping on top of a hill, but it was still neat to search the eerily empty forest for these apex predators. The strongest element of this complex has to be the conservation signage and presentation. Before I continue, I’d like to mention one of the Bronx’s biggest strengths: some of the Zoo’s exhibit complexes pick a certain theme or story and tie that message, whether that is conservation, natural history, etc., with the exhibits presented. In the case of Tiger Mountain, the main theme is the affect that poachers have on the species’ delicate wild population; what purposes they see in the tigers, and how some of that is a myth; and how conservationists and researchers are tracking the felines to find clues on both their behavior and how to conserve them. Littered throughout the dirt trail, which in itself is a great touch of immersion, are research tents, and crates seemingly filled with tiger parts. There is even the bed of an abandoned truck that can be climbed on. One must side-step more crates, discovering more details about tigers’ fate in the black market. This all served as a grim reminder of the plight the magnificent predators are facing in Asia, and how both in-situ and ex-situ conservation are their main line of defense and best chance for their survival.

Zoo Center
    – What was once a pachyderm building (previously housing all three elephant species, hippos, babirusa, among others) has been dramatically overhauled in recent years. Now, the north end contains a pair of white rhinos (arrived in 2011), while the south side is home to Komodo dragons and Aldabra giant tortoises. The tortoises have standard average-sized yards; while the rhinos share a narrow but fairly lush enclosure that is surprisingly very shady (if the pool area were filled, this would be perfect for pygmy hippos). However, the main attraction, in my opinion, would be the lizards. The Komodos have a pair of excellent outdoor habitats, for they’re a nice blend of being rocky and lush, and are a good size. The interior is also great, with a rocky and elevated land area, coupled with a small pool right in front of the expansive viewing window. Surrounding this exhibit are even more monitor lizards, all in lush terrariums with deep pools; the species include blue tree, Mertens’ water, and western spiny-tailed. Considering how active these animals can be, and how I often find myself enjoying watching these reptiles, this part of the building was a sweet bonus!

Madagascar! – 2008 saw the opening of this complex, which is an overhaul of the former lion house. One thing that is immediately noticeable is how this stands out compared to most others of its kind. Usually, just a few lemur exhibits, and maybe a few additional animals like fossa, serve as a representation of the island nation; the Bronx goes above and beyond by not just displaying Malagasy wildlife, but the incredibly diverse biomes and ecosystems that make up the island. This is evident right from the get-go with the “Tsingy Reserve,” represented by a seemingly small but tall Coquerel’s sifaka exhibit, followed by a hognose snake terrarium, and then a gorgeous cave setting where huge Nile crocodiles and cichlids reside in a land/pool area that looks absolutely amazing, yet would benefit from an expansion. Next, there is a large and dark room with a fascinating display. It’s a spacious and circular area, with smaller terrariums filled with animals (sakaramy killifish, tomato frog, and grey mouse lemur just to name a few) set within well-detailed hollow tree trunks against the surrounding walls. The majority of the wall is plastered with a video capture of the Madagascar forest, which gives an interesting perspective, as if one is coming across these usually unseen species while hiking. Then, there is the stand-out of the building; “Spiny Forest” is dominated by an authentic representation of one of Madagascar’s most famous yet little known biomes. Two species of lemurs (ring-tailed and collared brown, the latter of which was only visible from what I recall) bound from branch to branch, while radiated tortoises lumber across the landscape below. What makes this exhibit so fantastic is that it embodies an environment that very few places offer with lemur enclosures, with the wonderful blend of dry yet plentiful vegetation and desert rocks, sandy terrain, and large logs to gain some climbing space. This awesome habitat is complemented by several more species as well: several Madagascar hissing cockroaches in a hollow trunk; ring-tailed mongooses (a first for me) in a lush exhibit; and a sandy mid-sized exhibit for reptiles like the Madagascar swift (another first). Finally, the “Masoala” room comes into view; it’s dominated by two large habitats. On the left is a superb red ruffed lemur habitat that evokes the natural rainforest well. Tons of foliage and vines draped around artificial trees give the primates lots to do. There is even an area where a small rainstorm was showering down drops of water into the large space; whether this was part of the exhibit to give it that extra edge or unseen enrichment I’m not sure, but it added to the experience. Across the path, dozing at the base of a large tree trunk, is the island’s largest and most famous predator – the fossa. Unlike the other large exhibits in the building, this one was dimmed to create a more nocturnal environment. The enclosure itself, while only so-so in size, is nice and naturalistic, making for a nice finale to this complex. Overall, other than some species that could benefit from more space, this is a superb structure that showcases the Earth’s “eighth continent.”

Aquatic Bird House – If I did have to pick a section of the Bronx I’d consider the least successful, it would probably be this section of birds. This is certainly not to say that it isn’t worth visiting, it is still an overall nice area. Although the overall design and layout of the building, both inside and out, is more on the old-school side, the exhibits themselves are still nicely done overall. They all represent their respective natural ranges well, whether that is a lush rainforest, a rocky oceanside cliff, or even a nocturnal alcove. The viewing is also fairly nice, varying from glass windows, to harp wire, and even open air. As there aren’t any walkthrough enclosures in this building, this was a surprise especially considering the size of some of these bird species. Some examples of bird habitats include the following: kiwi and tawny frogmouth; little blue penguin, Forster's terns, smew, common terns, and more; scarlet ibis, black oystercatcher, anhinga, etc.; roseate spoonbill, blue-crowned motmot, painted stork, black-billed whistling duck, among others (this was my favorite exhibit in the building); Guam kingfisher and Guam rail; Sulawesi hornbill; and Atlantic puffin. Several outdoor enclosures showcase water-loving birds as well, the most notable of which is the “Seabird Aviary.” This is a humungous and excellent aviary home to such feathered residents as Magellanic penguins, Inca terns, and Coscoroba swans. What makes this habitat so great is the number of opportunities for each species. The penguins and swans have a good-sized pool to take a dip in, while the flying birds can take advantage of the artificial cliffs for nesting on top of the plentiful room to stretch their wings and take flight. It is a beautiful and thrilling sight to see several Inca terns almost dive-bombing through the air close to one’s head! Elsewhere, there is a lovely pond for American flamingos, and a series of cages for species like black-faced ibis, white-crested laughing thrush, and lesser Bornean crested fireback.

Mouse House – Out of all the Zoo’s exhibit complexes, this was the unexpected hidden gem! After passing a few small cages for pudu (didn’t see), agouti, white-eared titi monkey (with a baby), white-faced saki monkey, and golden-headed lion tamarin, a large, older-looking building beckons. While appears to not offer much on the outside, it turns out to pack quite a punch and quality on the inside. In what is essentially a more focused version of a small mammal house, rodents are the stars of this complex. There are terrariums on both sides of a lengthy corridor, teaming with groups of scurrying little mammals. The staggering amount of rodent species alone is worth checking out, but what I was most surprised to see is how excellent these habitats are. Not only are the enclosures very large, but they are jampacked with naturalistic features, each representing that animal’s natural habitat. Some examples are tall grasses to peek through for tiny field mice, rocky ledges for chinchillas to bounce up, down, and all around, or numerous branches amongst lush plants for tree shrews. Just when it couldn’t get better, the building suddenly turns into a nocturnal hall. On the way, a hallway showcases several silhouettes of rodent species, which get bigger the further one goes down the hall. I also like how the signage links all the exhibited species together via their common traits, like teeth structure. The exhibitry here maintains the same strong naturalistic quality and spacious areas to roam. There are even a few additional details to evoke a more immersive experience, such as human boots to clamber over. It’s honestly hard to find much to not praise here – I think this is an excellent building, and a major delight that shouldn’t be missed. Majority of the species list (asterisk are firsts: Damaraland mole rat*, common degu*, North Luzon giant cloud rat*, Northern tree shrew, black-and-rufous elephant shrew, zebra mouse*, Eurasian harvest mouse, African pygmy mouse*, chinchilla, bushbaby, Eastern spiny mouse, bushy-tailed jird*, lesser jerboa*, pale gerbil*, cactus mouse, California mouse, North American deer mouse, and Western European house mouse*.

Congo Gorilla Forest – The zoo world was in for an incredible surprise when this complex opened in 1999. About 40 years of field research in the Congo were brought into light, along with the most sacred treasures to be found in nature. The result turned out to be a ground-breaking, award-winning, and significant achievement that many strive to match. Angolan colobus monkeys serve as the welcome wagon, and they have a large mesh enclosure full of climbing branches, vines, and more. The lush jungle beyond calls, and before one knows it, there lies a huge, hollowed log ahead, which must be entered to continue. This log is one of the many immersive elements that truly give a sense of being anywhere but the USA’s most populous city. Numerous holes are present to peek ouside, and upon doing so, one will catch their first glimpses of the okapi. The single male had a long and narrow enclosure surrounded by greenery, dwarfed by the towering trees that offer ample shade. This is possibly the best okapi habitat I’ve ever come across, as no other enclosure I’ve seen goes to such lengths to display these reclusive animals. Even the ground evokes a dense rainforest, consisting mostly of dirt and fallen leaves. Down the trail, one will come across a mixed-species habitat that is equally impressive; red river hogs and mandrills share a large area reminiscent to a riverbank, with sprawling branches and dense foliage all around. The species can be seen either through a small exterior viewing area, or from large windows within the “Living Treasures” section. This building plays host to several smaller creatures including fish, amphibians (such as African bullfrog), reptiles (Nile monitor for instance), birds (like the Congo peafowl), and invertebrates, all in nicely designed displays. The highlight of this area is the all-indoor exhibit for Wolf’s guenon, which I have to admit seemed as if it were exposed to the elements at first glance. Even if the monkeys can’t access the outdoors, it doesn’t change that their enclosure is fantastic, with lots of vertical space combined with branches and vines weaving all around the artificial trees for great climbing opportunities, and the glass allows for super-close viewing.

Continuing down the hall there is a huge artificial tree; this is the beginning of the “Conservation Pavilion.” The half-cut tree is the centerpiece of this exhibit complex’s message and story it is telling: how destroying the Congo rainforest not only means the loss of trees, but the loss of biodiversity. Without understanding the biodiversity, we cannot properly understand how to best protect them. The Zoo conducts extensive in-situ conservation projects, focusing on several threatened animals. At one point, when the complex charged admission, those fees went straight to a certain conservation effort of one’s choice; it’s great how a zoo can connect with its audience and ultimately help tie them into the greater good. I’d also like to take this opportunity to highlight some of the additional educational features. Tons of little details or displays are implemented throughout the complex. Along the trail for instance, pawprints in the dirt signal the presence of leopards with nearby signs explaining how tracking contributes to conservation efforts. In addition, the “Living Treasures” contains lots of signage about life all around the heart of Africa. Whether it is highlighting adaptation to life in the rivers, the relationship between animal populations and breeding strategies, or even energy use and conservation, this complex leaves nothing behind in teaching guests about how life thrives in the jungle – even the smallest species that are exhibited just beneath these signs. After that enlightening experience, the grand finale is just down a corridor. Two gargantuan habitats contain several gorillas, and they are without question the best I’ve seen for the great apes. The blend of grass and dirt makes for an effective jungle substrate; lush, hilly terrain that blends seamlessly into the forest backdrop; a plethora of branches, ropes, and vines that allow the primates to get surprisingly high off the ground; and even the fact that these exhibits are open-topped add that touch of realism. One of these habitats even allows the gorillas to climb over the guests, for a visitor tunnel cuts through a portion of the area, resulting in an awesome immersive experience! To top all this off, across from the gorillas, is a pygmy marmoset exhibit that, while geographically out of place, is still nice and allows a unique comparison between the world’s largest and smallest primates. I feel it almost goes without saying that Congo has just about everything that makes an exhibit complex as close to perfection as possible – an all-star cast of animals, beautifully naturalistic habitats that blurs the line between captivity and the wild, strong messages that connect the Zoo to its conservation and research work, and lots of attention to detail to make the experience as authentic as it can be. It’s easy to see why this often makes, if not tops, most lists of top zoo exhibits, and I can confidently say that my list is now among them. :D

African Plains
    – It’s often said that something holds up best when it stands the test of time. This complex from the 1940’s is, for the most part, one of those examples. A small herd of giraffe and ostriches share a mid-sized, lush habitat that is set within a forest clearing, with a giraffe feeding deck set off to the side. It was reminiscent of North Carolina’s Forest Edge, and gave this exhibit a fresh feel when compared to several other savannah habitats. This trend continues with the African wild dog and spotted hyena habitats, which also employ a more open woodland design that is similar to the African scrublands. As the trail descends a hill, the landscape opens more into the grasslands, revealing a large pasture for Grevy’s zebra, followed by a grassy pen for slender-horned gazelles, which also have a large sandy pit. Looping around the other side of the complex, one will come across a herd of nyala in an enormous grassy habitat dotted with bit of foliage, rocks, and a pond. These beautiful antelope aren’t alone though; gazing from a small overlook is a pair of male lions, which occupy a lush exhibit that is a bit on the small side. The set-up is simple yet very effective, and is possibly the highlight of this complex. The final exhibit I saw was a separate pen for nyala and red-flanked duiker, the latter of which was nowhere to be seen. On a side note, according to the map, there are Thomson’s gazelle located in an exhibit too, but I seemed to have bypassed this.

Wild Asia Monorail – This is a leisurely ride that takes one into the dense forest to look at some animals from Earth’s largest continent. This works to the complex’s advantage in several ways; for example, all the exhibits range from decent to excellent for their occupants, since they are essentially the pre-existing natural landscape surrounded by fencing. It was amazing to watch elephant and rhino in a more forested setting in comparison to the open spaces I’ve mostly seen for these species. The size of these habitats is also great, as almost all of them are among the largest of their kind, with the tiger, rhino, and markhor/tahr standing out in particular. The only exception to this is the babirusa, which have a pair of lush enclosures that looked to be about average-sized. I also loved how I was viewing huge herds of horses, antelope, and deer as opposed to only a few individuals that make up a herd, something that seems more common at open-range facilities or safari parks. Now, to address a hot topic here on this site: many are opposed to seeing animals via a time-crunching ride. I do understand the sentiments, especially for highly popular species such as the pachyderms, red pandas, or tigers, the first of which can’t be seen on foot anywhere else in the Zoo. On the other hand, for how enormous the Bronx is and taking into account the land that is utilized, I feel this is possibly the best approach that could’ve been taken. It was a relief to sit back for a while after trekking through the hilly property in the hot summer sun. Additionally, I can see this approach working well for animals that may not draw as much attention from the public such as the hoofstock, which in turn may benefit from being set in a mostly quieter setting. Overall, while it would be nice to see some of these animals at one’s own pace in a different location, the unique elements and animals on display provide an astonishing experience one doesn’t see often these days. Species list (in approximate order I saw them): Bactrian deer (including a fawn), barasingha, Przewalski’s wild horse (including a couple foals), gaur, Amur tiger, babirusa, blackbuck, Asian elephant, Indian rhino, Sri Lankan sambar deer, Indian hog deer, nilgai, muntjac, tufted deer, markhor, Himalayan tahr, and red panda.

JungleWorld –
    This large, indoor rainforest complex opened its doors in 1985. After passing a number of elegant cultural displays, the feeling of being in a lush Southeast Asian jungle immediately engulfs guests, as the humidity hits relatively quick. This is also where two habitats greet visitors; these are for Asian small-clawed otter and Matschie’s tree kangaroo, and while on the small side, they look nice with a riverbank design and numerous branches respectively. Next, a dark hallway beckons, where a few terrariums in a darker hallway house animals such as snake-necked turtle and giant cloud rat (didn’t see). The main feature of this hallway is the interpretive signage that describes how the jungle supplies its organisms with the means to thrive and survive, with a general focus on human natives. There is even a display that covers what resources can help cure illnesses. The presentation is similar to Congo’s information, but it was unique enough to help distinguish the two so that they each have a certain focus. This hall is briefly interrupted by a pair of Javan langurs (another first – are these the last ones in the AZA?), which inhabit a lush island. Heading back into the greenery, the first of two major highlights of the building come into view. A troop of silvery lutungs reside in a really unique mangrove-like habitat that is excellent. Huge, artificial trees stand proudly like columns, supplying the monkeys with branches and vines for ample climbing space. Below them, green plants pierce the surface of a large body of water, topped off by an amazing view from a cave setting through a waterfall. It surely is a fantastic sight!

At the same time though, this section is also where the building’s least successful features are. Two Malayan tapirs are looked down upon in a sandy riverbank habitat that looks nice, but is quite small for the strange mammals. It is, however, stronger in comparison to the Amur leopard exhibit across the bridge. A single cat lives in what is essentially a glass cage filled with greenery (formerly the home of black panthers). While the exhibit does look nice on first glance, plus the arboreal viewing is a nice touch, the all-indoor environment for a species that would do well in New York winters is unfortunate. o_O This is not even mentioning the tiny size of the space for the leopard - I could see this enclosure being a better fit for clouded leopards. Another dark corridor beckons, this time the majority of the terrariums contain invertebrates. I was intrigued by the number of stick insects (like giant Malaysian and Annam), leaf insects (such as Philippine), Huntsman spider, Atlas beetle, and many more. The last viewing area in this corridor gives a sneak preview of the final jungle room in the building, dubbed “Lower Montane Rain Forest.” It is a large, lush enclosure for greater chevrotain (didn’t see), and is apparently also where gibbons are found too, but I didn’t see any on my visit. One corner later, and one will find themselves in this jungle room, which is also the second major highlight of the complex. Tons of fruit bats and birds dart in and out of the sea of greenery, while below is a two-level lagoon with a small waterfall. Gharials are the main attraction of this oasis, lurking through the calm waters or enjoying the flow of the splashing waterfall alongside an assortment of turtles (such as Mary River and pig-nosed) and fish (like giant gourami and filament barbs), making for a nice and authentic mixed-species habitat. This wondrous enclosure can be seen either from above or from a small underwater viewing area before exiting. Lastly, as one departs the building, a digital counter reveals that as time goes on, the acres of trees that get cut down is continuously increasing – a tragic reminder of the delicate state the animals one just saw are in. What I’m going to say may cause a bit of debate, but this in my opinion may be on par with, if not a little stronger than, Omaha’s Lied Jungle.

Gelada Reserve – At the time of its opening in 1990, this was the largest primate habitat in the United States. A troop of geladas, one of two in the U.S. with the other being San Diego, share the gigantic, grassy hillside with Nubian ibex and rock hyrax. The views, whether they are across water moats or behind glass, are absolutely gorgeous – this gives off a great sense of immersion in the African highlands. The rocky cliffs that protrude from the pastures are coupled with a tree-filled background, making it seem like the monkeys could wander down the hills without any barriers. A nearby African village adds a nice touch of detail as well; it’s also where this complex’s story is told. The evolution of humans from primates is touched upon through interpretive signage and props such as fossils and skull comparisons. It’s a neat tie-in to how Ethiopia is often considered to be the “land of origins” for our ancestors.

Himalayan Highlands – Snow leopards are the stars of this complex, and they have a trio of habitats that reminded me of Minnesota’s set of Amur leopard enclosures. Although one exhibit is a tiny yard mostly made of rock, the other two are above-average in my opinion. One exhibit is a steep, rocky ridge that was a decent size, and the other is a lush pine forest that I felt was the best of the three. The latter housed a highly active cat, which was scent-marking, bounding from rock to tree trunk, and was a joy to watch. Next door, there is a small red panda exhibit (none seen) with an average amount of branches to climb around on, while across the pathway is a beautiful, naturalistic pond setting for white-naped crane (didn’t see). To be honest, I was hoping for a stronger experience here; having said that, I did myself rushing through this area as it was right before closing time, so I probably didn’t get to see this complex at its fullest potential.

Other Exhibits – There are several exhibits all around the Zoo that aren’t part of any specific area. American bison (including a few calves) inhabit a huge pasture across from World of Birds; across from Tiger Mountain is a magnificent Pere David’s deer habitat that is basically a slice of the surrounding forest and pond, but sadly no deer to be seen; brown bears and dholes (formerly polar bears), which were both off-display for the day by the time I arrived, live in a pair of grottos that are decent in naturalism though a bit on the small side; a California sea lion pool is pretty nice with a large pool, close views, and, oddly enough, a good amount of grass; the always elegant Chilean flamingos reside in a naturalistic pond near the “Dancing Crane Café;” Northern bald ibis and dromedary camels have their own exhibits near JungleWorld; next to the Aquatic Bird House is a row of bird of prey aviaries that range from small to good-sized depending on the occupants (which include bald eagle, burrowing owl, king vulture, among others), and on the whole decent quality; finally, in an isolated section of the Zoo is a vegetated lagoon for Peruvian pelicans (another first).

NOTE – Because of time constraints, I missed out on the following: World of Birds, Children’s Zoo, World of Reptiles, and a few separate bird exhibits. Also the “Carter Giraffe Building” was closed off at the time; I assume a new giraffe was being introduced, as when I peeked through the glass door, there was a single animal in the stalls.

Visitor Experiences

With 265 acres at its disposal, the Bronx Zoo is the largest metropolitan zoo in the country. While the sound of it may seem intimidating, the property is laid out fairly well for the most part. There may be times where it is a little hard to avoid backtracking or even miss a few exhibits entirely, but thankfully this only occurs a couple times, mostly in the African Plains and Asian areas. Pathways are easily navigable with mainly flat areas, and any slopes are mostly gentle; there is even the occasional set of stairs to aid in a climb or descent which proved to be a great help. The grounds are situated in a forest that looks different with every turn one makes. At first, one could be walking along the scenic Bronx River, and then find themselves hiking up a shaded hill the next second. There are even times where the Zoo takes advantage of the forest scenery to create a gorgeous setting, like the cliffs before heading up towards World of Birds, or even utilizing them in their animal enclosures like Himalayan Highlands. Finally, as mentioned before, the historical buildings mostly give a nice ambiance, a reflection back in time to the Zoo’s origins, courtesy of the beautifully preserved exterior.

For all the praise I’ve been giving so far, from the diversity of species on display to the top-class habitats, there is one comment I have against the Bronx: the operating hours. For a zoo that has a huge amount of content on a large amount of space, the hours this facility is open is surprisingly short – only about 6 or 6.5 hours. Because of this, one may find themselves rushing through a couple exhibit areas without getting a proper experience, or just completely skip them. It would be great if a couple more were added on, like one at the beginning and the other at the end, to help give a little more time to fully take-in experiencing one of America’s largest zoos. Moving on from that, the Zoo has several amenities and other attractions on-hand for guests. Starting with the concessions, while several food and drink stands are conveniently scattered around the grounds, the two main areas are at opposite ends of the property; “Asia Plaza” is situated amongst JungleWorld and Wild Asia Monorail, while the “Dancing Crane Café” is in a lush clearing a short walk away from Zoo Center. Similarly, places to purchase souvenirs are also found in certain locations, the main one being across from the “Dancing Crane Café.” I feel it would be beneficial if one more major eating and gift area could be added near the World of Birds area, especially since that entry plaza is fairly empty. Visitors can keep themselves occupied with more than just animals as well, including “Treetop Adventure” and “Nature Trek,” which are nature play areas located near the “Bronx River Gate” and African Plains sections respectively. Next, children can get a good dose of creepy crawlies with the “Bug Carousel” and “Butterfly Garden” playground, both of which are near the Mouse House. Then, if one wishes to take a leisure stroll through nature, the “Mitsubishi Riverwalk” provides a peaceful hike alongside the Bronx River near the bison. Lastly, there is a shuttle that zooms around the establishment, picking up and dropping off guests at most of the Zoo’s hotspots. To top it all off, the facility has a whopping four entrance gates, all of which appear to be fairly basic in design and presentation.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: While I have seen active monitor lizards in the past (and what a sight that is), today marked the first time I ever saw them swimming! An adolescent Komodo dragon was soaking itself in the pool right in front of the indoor viewing window. Sadly, the angle was not the best for both photos and getting a proper view, so I mostly saw when the Komodo would go towards each end of the pool. Nearby, I had much better luck with the Mertens’ water monitor, which was gliding through the water before proceeding to climb back up its artificial branches.

OVERALL: I’ll just get it out of the way: the Bronx Zoo is my third favorite zoo I’ve had the pleasure to visit, surpassed only by Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo (#1) and San Diego Zoo Safari Park (#2). Just about everything that this attraction accomplishes is amongst, if not the, very best to be found in the zoo realm. The animal collection is diverse and superb; the level of exhibitry is for the most at legendary levels; the conservation and education messages are almost unmatched; its history is rich in presentation; and the grounds offer a pretty setting that is nicely taken advantage of. As long as one knows they have to pace themselves properly to see most, if not all of, the Zoo (or just give a two-day visit :p), then one cannot go wrong with checking this place out. This is a fabulous zoological establishment that I’d highly recommend, it is fully deserving of the reputation it has built over the decades, and it was without question worthy of being the “Big 5-0” zoo of my life.

Regarding the Zoo’s future, there was cleared land ready to be built upon next to the Mouse House; I read on here that a budgie aviary will be erected. Beyond that, I’ve also read a few possibilities, such as pygmy hippos, a South American area, and the revival of the nocturnal house.

2. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

You did a superb job at reviewing my favorite zoo of all time. I think one thing I love about the Bronx is how they keep their past intact without making the zoo look like it’s from the 1920s. Majority of the zoo is covered in dense forest which makes the zoo have a “new” feeling, even though that’s not at all the case.

Kalaw and Milwaukee Man like this.
  3. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

When I went, I also thought I had bypassed them, but I was able to seem them in a distance from the gelada exhibit.

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the informative review! Your list of Omaha, SDZSP and Bronx makes for an impressive top 3 American zoos.

ZooElephantMan and Milwaukee Man like this.
  5. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great Review. I spent two days visiting the Henry Doorly Zoo last month and really enjoyed it. I think I’d still put the Bronx Zoo ahead…but not by much…and mostly for reasons of nostalgia…and Wild Asia.

Really great review. Nicely done.

Milwaukee Man and Pleistocene891 like this.
  6. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you for your review!

Can I ask where in the zoo you saw the exhibits for pudu, agouti, white-eared titi monkey, white-faced saki monkey, and golden-headed lion tamarin? Your review made it sound like they were outdoors close to the mouse house, but I think I've always missed them when I've visited.

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  7. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bronx is my favorite zoo. Much like, you, it was a bucket-list goal of mine to see it. I finally made it there in 2003, then again in 2008. It didn't disappoint.

I still am a huge fan of Jungle World. It may have it's shortcomings, but it's still a really breathtaking exhibit IMO. I had the same feeling with Tropic World in it's heyday, but I always found TW to be much less intricate and nuanced than JW. Tropic World is a big box, whereas Jungle World is more of a winding path with more delineated exhibits. I feel like covering one zoogeographic region gives JW and advantage over TW.

If Jungle World would have gone as planned, it would have housed proboscis monkeys, gharials, muggers, and Komodos at it's opening. That would have been a mind-blowing combo for me. I've at least seen 1 of the 4 in there.

8. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw proboscis monkeys at Jungle World in 1991

groundskeeper24 likes this.
  9. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't believe I ever saw them there. I didn't make it to the Bronx until 2003. I did manage to see them in Cincinnati during the opening of Jungle Trails waaaay back in 1991 or so.

10. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Zoo center was weird to see when I was there in August. The first time I had visited Bronx the Zoo Center had Asian Elephant, Sumatra Rhino and Malayan Tapir. Interesting to see the White Rhino. Seems out of place at the zoo especially not being in the plains area

11. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

They live in the small cages in front of the Mouse House, but only when the weather is warm. Usually May to September/early October. The rest of the year they’re offshow.

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  12. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I appreciate all the replies! :)

@ZooElephantsMan Yes, as RatioTile mentioned, those animals are found in those cages alongside the Mouse House. Are those primates leftovers from the Monkey House that’s been closed for a decade?

@PSO Putting the white rhinos in the African Plains area sounds like a great idea. I can see them sharing the largest enclosure with the nyala with the right modifications. Their current exhibit would also work great for either pygmy hippos or moving the tapirs from JungleWorld.

@groundskeeper24 The fact that JungleWorld focuses on one region and thus executes it so brilliantly on the whole is one reason I may give it the edge over Lied Jungle. With Bronx being the last U.S. Zoo to house proboscis monkeys, and an attempt by that primate zoo in the Netherlands about ten years ago to house them, is it possible that a population of proboscis monkeys in the U.S. of Europe can be attempted again if enough zoos were interested? I know their diet is a major challenge for instance, but zoos have progressed greatly and some “codes” with animals like elephants, gorillas, and (to lesser extent) cetaceans have been broken in the past - maybe a similar thing can happen with these unique monkeys.