Join our zoo community

The Big Year movie

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Stefka, 31 Mar 2012.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yes. If you do not see a bird you sought then you "dipped". The bird itself is a "dip". The person I guess would then be a "dipper", unless the bird is also a dipper and you did see it in which case you did not "dip" on the dipper. But there's no point trying not to "dip" on a dipper in Australia for there are none.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2012
  2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Wow. I can't imagine those doves, rainbow lorikeets and bronze wings being dips in Victoria.

I don't suppose that they published their itineraries? We have a lot of time over Christmas, so I really would like to try a 24 hour private twitchathon - but, of course, I want to plan my route/times before hand.

3. Chlidonias

details of the route of the second-placers, the Gang Gang Gang (again from Birding-Aus: you know, if you join the email group you'll get regular news and updates for sightings in Victoria and elsewhere....)

4. nanoboy

Cheers. You did not provide a web link, so I am guessing that you copied that from the newsletter. I searched for Birding Aus, by the way, and all that comes up is stuff for proper tour companies. You are referring to 'Birdlife' right?

5. nanoboy

We also visited Grants Picnic Ground over the weekend. We used to be able to feed the birds with our own sunflower seeds and almonds, but now you must buy seeds and be given a tray so you don't have to worry about being bitten by overly exuberant cockatoos. They also limit the amount of food that they sell per day. Contrary to what she wrote, I quite like the arrangement as it used to be a free-for-all before. There was a PhD student doing research about feeding the birds there a few years ago, so I assume that the new procedure is based on her findings/recommendations. We didn't pay $4 and we did not feed them our own seeds - it was cool to just see them though. Long billed corella, sulphur crested cockatoo, crimson rosella, king parrot, galah, kookaburra, red wattle bird, and a few tiny birds we couldn't identify.

6. Chlidonias

it was on an email.

If you go to Birding-Aus this is the home of the group. On the right side is a link for subscribing. It is free, and you receive all the emails that are sent to the group (including state round-ups for what has been seen/happening each month or fortnight [I forget which]). You can read the emails on the site but cannot post if you aren't a member.

7. nanoboy

I signed up for the group, and after a day, I unsubscribed. I thought that I would be forwarded newsletters every few days, but it is basically a hidden mailing list that you 'reply all' and end up with dozens of emails a day. Great discussions, but not my cup of tea for the method of communicating.

8. nanoboy

9. Chlidonias

for those following the Big Year of John Weigel which I have been feeding to this thread for nanoboy, he ended the year with 745 species (a new record for Australia). There were only three mainland breeding species he missed out on: Australasian brown bittern, western ground parrot, and night parrot (that last one's not so surprising).

10. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Makes my total of 135 species look pretty paltry - and that total includes some introduced species I saw in Hawaii, and some native to Samoa and Niue. Counting only Australian species seen in Australia, and the total is only 102 (but I only started keeping track of what I'd seen in August).

I'll see if I can do better this year. Found a Whitefaced Heron in my backyard today, so maybe that's a good omen.

:p

Hix

11. nanoboy

Man oh man. 745 is a crazy number. Thanks for sharing. Let's see how long the record stands for. I am sure there are a few people who started their own big year yesterday. I am on about 20 species for the year, but they are the usual suspects of galah, magpie, and a whitefaced heron too.

12. Chlidonias

a bit of a round-up of Weigel's final days of his Big Year: Birding for Devils

13. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've heard that a lot of people thought it was very boring. It was a box office bomb. One thing I noticed about the movie is that it does not fall into just one genre. I personally enjoyed it, but it could definitely have been funnier.

14. Chlidonias

it bombed at the box office because it was about birding. As a movie it failed somewhat because it didn't seem to know what it wanted to be: comedy, drama, relationship piece.....

15. nanoboy

Very enjoyable read.

For the benefit of you and Hix :p, here is an excerpt from the article:

"Michael Morcombe’s smart phone app version of his field guide was a fantastic companion in the field – except when I drowned or lost my iPhones. The birdsong recordings of David Stewart and others are game-changing, in that one can not only learn what calls to listen for, but on occasions when appropriate, attract the interest of birds by responsible and measured use of playback."

16. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, I read that (and I'm sure Chlidonias did too). I have a recollection I made some comment about using calls to attract birds.

:p

Hix

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just watched this movie for the first time and can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Aside from one ID mistake (calling an Indigo Bunting a Blue Grosbeak), this is a wonderful film for any birder. But probably not anyone else.

Jungle Man, MRJ and Pleistohorse like this.
  18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the UK they also talk about being 'gripped' or 'gripping'. I never understood the meaning quite- the same as 'dipped' but even more frustrating? Or something else entirely?

19. Chlidonias

No, that (at least as far as I understand it, because we don't use it over here) is when someone sees a bird and the other person doesn't. The person who saw it "grips off" the other birder.

So Birder A dipped the bird, and Birder B then gripped Birder A off because Birder B did see it.

Pertinax likes this.