Join our zoo community

Wildlands Emmen The Birds at Rimbula

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by vogelcommando, 14 May 2018.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rimbua is Wildlands large tropical hall in which the indoor-elephant enclosure, some monkey-islands, an indoor-boot-ride, a show-area and several souvenir-shops and restaurants are located. It's also home to a good number of free-living birds and on my visit yesterday I tried to find as many as possible of them.
    On my first visit the hall was still quite new and the number of species was very small ( I only saw 3 species ( - Swainson's lorikeet, Victoria crowned pigeon and Java sparrow ) but now, 2 years later, the number of species is much larger and I was able to find 17 different species :
    - Swainson's lorikeet - see Swainson's lorikeeet | ZooChat
    - Victoria crowned pigeon - see Victoria crowned pigeon | ZooChat
    - Blue-faced honeyeater
    - Crested wood-patridge - see Crested wood-patridge - female | ZooChat
    - Java sparrow - see Java sparrow | ZooChat
    - Red-whiskered bulbul
    - Long-tailed glossy starling - see Long-tailed glossy starling | ZooChat
    - Superb starling - see Superb starling | ZooChat
    - Hamerhead
    - Cattle egret - see Cattle egret | ZooChat
    - Hottentot teal - see Hottentot teals | ZooChat
    - Speckled mousebird
    - White-winged wood-duck - see White-winged wood-duck | ZooChat
    - Pied imperial pigeon
    - White-cheeked touraco - see White-cheeked touraco | ZooChat
    - Emerald dove
    - White-naped pheasant pigeon - see White-naped pheasant-pigeon | ZooChat
    On Zootierliste a number of other bird-species is also listed which should be living in Rimbula but I was unable to find them and I don't know how accurate Zootierliste is so if anybody has information about species still living / not anymore in the hall, please update the list.
    Species not seen but mentioned on Zootierliste :
    - Luzon bleeding-heart
    - Red-crested touraco
    - Violet touraco
    - Black crake
    - Snowy-crowned robin-chat
    - White-faced whistling duck
    - Asian blue quail

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the info, vogelcommando.

But I'm a little confused now: Is the name of the hall "Rimbula" as in the headline or is it "Rimbua" as in the text. Also: Has this term a meaning (which language) or is it just fantasy?

Although I must confess that I haven't seen the new Emmen Zoo in person yet (only the nice old one), I am not really happy about the setting of the hall. A wild mix of exotics. The theming in the old zoo with animals of tropical America only and the adjacent aviary with South American birds is more worth copying imo.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Made a typ-failure in the text, the name is Rimbula.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@zoomaniac, I do think a few locals do share your reservations too! I for one loved the old Emmer Dierenpark zoo concept. The new zoo ... well let us just say a "big adventure" theme and a bit low on substance. I would say too big for their boots and (bound to fail ...). It somehow fails to draw me into it, it is a good way out travel from where I live and - alas - consequentely since its opening I have yet to make my first visit!

Visitors do complain from time to time about lack of (visible) animals, lack of attractions and long lines to enter an area or get onto a boat and the like. I also wonder whether a central plaza from where you can visit the various themed areas was a really brilliant one in terms of visitor flow and being able to control the crowd numbers.

I really should visit some time to finally make up my mind on this one.

zoomaniac likes this.