Join our zoo community

The change of zoos in Brazil through time (Belo Horizonte zoo)

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by David Matos Mendes, 7 Aug 2020.

1. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Ah, and also, unfortunately zoo BH is not open yet, corona cases in MG are quite increasing :(

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I see what you mean, I would actually say that the situation at BH zoo that you have described is very similar to that of the Sorocaba zoo.

Sadly I would say that most small cat enclosures or areas in Brazilian zoos need to be renovated. The problem is that these changes often get put right at the bottom of priorities to be addressed and are typically secondary to changes made to big cat / exotic megafauna enclosures.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Quite sad to see these pictures even with the knowledge that these events are no longer continued by Brazilian zoos.

However, it is worth mentioning (to put things in historic perspective) that during the 50's, 60's, 70's and even up to the 1980's zoos in capital cities in Europe (like Rome, London, Berlin, Paris, Madrid etc) were having events like "chimpanzee tea parties" and "penguin parades" and giving elephant / camel rides to children.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2020
    Jungle Man likes this.
  4. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, things like these were quite common in these times, right?

Now that you said, I realized that almost every small cat exhibit I've seen in our brazilian zoos are really forgotten... Not saying about maintenance, painting, nor fence integrity, but, as you said, the diserved atention is not often given to these animals... The only small feline enclosures that I have seen and considered proper were some at Brasilia zoo, and I know São Paulo zoo also has some good ones; but in general, our country doesn't pay enough atention to these small guys...

This is the small cat corridor in Brasilia zoo. Quite nice enclosures (compared to most of the others)
    DSCN0982.JPG

Now the Aracaju zoo small cat corridor. we can see a big difference. All right, zoo Aracaju is definitely not an object of comparison in general (it's the worse zoo I've ever been to) but we unfortunately know that this is the most common model of small cats exhibit in our country :(:(:(
    IMG_20170725_115524367iiiiiiiiii.jpg

Attached Files:

AWP, Jungle Man, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I think small cats and small cat areas/enclosures are definitely a forgotten group / focus in Brazilian zoos. This is such a shame in my opinion because Brazil as a country has one of the highest diversities of small cat species in the world and I think this is definitely something to highlight / generate interest in and to be proud of.

I agree that the small felid enclosures at the Brasilia and Sao Paulo (a couple of the small African cats like caracal and serval are kept there) zoos are definitely better than those at many other zoos in the country but in my opinion they are still definitely lacking some decent improvements and more attention.

To add a further comparison I think that most of the small cat enclosures in the three zoos of Mexico City such as San Juan de Aragon, Chapultepec and Los Coyotes are definitely better designed than those in Brazilian zoos (more well planted, more space, areas to hide away from public view, more enrichment and better information signs for public etc) but even these are lacking.

In fact the sad truth is that in zoos in most countries around the world small cats are just sort of forgotten about.

6. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the nice postings about Brazilian zoos!

Untill a few years ago, I had no idea how good South American zoos can be. I was surprised to see the high quality of the two zoos I visited in Ecuador and I have photos of beautiful enclosures here on Zoochat, that can truly rival those of well known zoos that are considered world class elsewhere in the world.

Which species are kept here?

In Europe there were a couple of zoos with a great collection of small cats, like Rotterdam Zoo, Tierpark Berlin and Zoo Wuppertal. Rotterdam Zoo had an huge collection with rare species like pampas cat, African golden cat and black-footed cat. They were kept in a long row of cages, more or less comparable to that on the photo of zoo Aracaju. Changed views on animal welfare meant a strong reduction in collection size and the cages for small cats are now replaced by a large enclosure for gelada baboons.

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, there are definitely a few decent zoos in this part of the world (lots of bad ones too unfortunately) and its a shame how many people automically assume that they must be of poor standards because of stereotypes of poverty or backwardness etc (not saying you currently do but many people do have this attitude).

Two of the species you mention that were kept at Rotterdam I would love to see: African golden cat and black footed cat. I know that the golden cats you mentioned eventually went to the Aspinall parks as I managed to find this out and post about it on zoochat quite some time ago.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2020
    FelipeDBKO and AWP like this.