Join our zoo community

The Devils Juice!

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Brum, 12 Sep 2011.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

The two biggest, oldest NZ zoos each have a cafe that also sells alcohol (Auckland definitely does, not 100% sure on Wellington). Having said that I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually drinking alcohol at either zoo. I haven't because a) they don't sell what I like to drink, and b) it'd be ridiculously expensive.

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think bar prices depend on the establishment and what you're drinking. I've noticed that the more proffesional the bar, the more standard the price. If they sell beer over a counter with other refreshments or food then the price goes up.
    I thought the Australians on here would be able to shed some more light... Or is that stereotyping! ;)

3. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think it was Bush gardens which had free beer when I was there in 93. You were only allowed 2 though. I went back for a third without my hat (disguise) and had it poured when one of the other bar staff remembered me and poured it out before I got it.

4. kaytronika

kaytronika Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No free Budweiser at Busch now. We had to pay for ours last year. Still refreshing after a busy day trying to cram the rollercoaster and zoo elements of the park in.

5. Brum

Nice try! :D

6. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was a poor exchange student then, and never knocked back a chance of a free beer.

7. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

So you knock them back now? lol

Theres always a cold beer for friends here Monty!

Cheers Khakibob

8. Brum

I've just stumbled on to this thread after many years and it has reminded me of a zoo/alcohol related story. After the IZES meeting last year me and @devilfish stopped off for a bite to eat at a service station off the M42. After eating our food, (at KFC because we're that classy!:p), I noticed this service station was the only one in Britain with a pub. After some deliberation I ended up having a drink whilst my companion went and did some personal things. Whilst waiting I picked up the in-house magazine, opened it at random and found a story about Paignton Zoo selling their own brewed beers in aid of rhino conservation... Talk about a freaky zoo/alcohol based coincidence? :D

Absolutely 100% true! :)

Mr. Zootycoon, FunkyGibbon and Jambo like this.