Join our zoo community

Elephant Sanctuary The Elephant Sanctuary Tennessee

Discussion in 'United States' started by UntBwe, 2 Apr 2008.

1. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Two recent deaths at TES:

March 11, Asian elephant Delphi died after suffering for some weeks. She died amongst friends like Misty and Dulary, and of course the caregivers who did everything they could to make Delphi as comfortable as possible. Delphi was 62 years old.

March 29, Asian elephant Queenie suddenly died. She was a healthy elephant, and her death was totally unexpected. Queenie was 49 years old.

More: The Elephant Sanctuary : Hohenwald, Tennessee

Last edited: 2 Apr 2008
  2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

omg queenie- tahts a huge shock

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This sanctuary is very similar to PAWS in California. Many ex-circus and zoo elephants have been placed in these establishments, and of course have access to much more space then they would have had in their former homes.

4. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

5. Zoo Visitor

Zoo Visitor Well-Known Member

It is sad to hear about these deaths.

Fortunately, though, when an elephant death occurs there, everyone seems to realize that elephants do die, even when they are receiving wonderful, loving care. The same applies when a zoo elephant dies, but animal-rights activists don't understand that.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you care to take a deeper look into their website 4 main issues come to mind:
    * Elephants, well at least the Asian Elephas maximus, are endangered with a total population of only ca. 45,000 individuals across Southern and SE-Asia. Yet Hohenwald makes no effort to increase their numbers, neither in the wild nor in captivity (it even frowns upon zoos investing in captive-breeding or increasing their elephant habitats).
    * Its main goal is to accomodate elderly elephants on animal welfare grounds (their policies in that respect are sometimes rather dubious and the method of pressurising individual zoos to send off their eles to them through the media I find particularly distateful), yet their management system does not replicate any natural elephant behaviour patterns nor their social structure (this happens when you put non-familiar elderly and sometimes socially mal-adapted eles into groups of non related elephants. I can not see the welfare aspect in that! It is just all about space, if that in itself would be significance (as even these sanctuaries cannot hope to provide the space sufficient to pretend they live in the wild, no they remain captive. So, if you are going to name it, then tell it like it is ... yes, CAPTIVE!).
    * The Hohenwald Sanctuary and most other ele welfare institutions are off-show facilities and I cannot see what benefit the few ele adopters will have on the perceptions of the wider general public on elephant conservation. Besides, adoption is well overpriced and gives you the right to visit for a mere couple of 1,000's of dollars.
    * The Hohenwald Sanctuary and most sanctuaries like her make no substantial financial or other contributions towards elephant conservation in situ. Zoos on the other hand, particularly in European and US zoos, do so substantially and also invest in methods and policies to improve in situ conservation and research important aspects of elephant biology and conflict resolution (if you exclude people from nature conservation you will end up with dead elephants only) and alternative income generation from generally poor populations in Third World nations living in close proximity of wild elephants (and they are not CUDDLY, I can tell you)!!!

Well on these grounds I find these places not worth looking into much. Besides the resident attitude to anthropomorphise the elephants in their care and provide them with names as if they were discardable cuddly toys "thingies", I find so demeaning for elephants as taxa representative of fascinating wild animals that they are!!!

K.B.

Neil chace likes this.
  7. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I also find "demeaning" their habit of calling keepers "caregivers" - as if keepers aren't good enough.

Let's face it, at the end of the day some of these places are fund-raisers with elephants as the product.

8. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

Bunny's died :( And apparently, Ned has too, according to Bunny's page on Ele Encyc, but I can't find any other mention on either the Hohenwald site or his page though :confused:

9. CritterBlog

CritterBlog Well-Known Member

The Elephant Sanctuary is not one of them. It is a wonderful facility and the employees are devoted to the elephants. They received a four-star rating from Charity Navigator.

10. Ungulate

Ungulate Well-Known Member

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does not mean zilch from an animal welfare or zoo management point of view. Only AZA is eligible and able to make that kind of judgment, not some charity ISO trademark ...

And for what it is worth, no absolution over my 5-pointer issues (LOL)! ;)

12. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

They must have released that article after I checked the website. Not good, loosing two elephants in twelve hours :(

13. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited: 21 Dec 2016
  16. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, it won`t. This is a new place in addition to the sanctuary in Hohenwald, Tennessee. The co-founder of the Hohenwald sanctuary, Carol Buckley, left in 2010 (or rather, she was forced to leave due to problems with her management style). The last years, she worked with elephants in Asia, but now she wants to build another sanctuary in the USA.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  17. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oops - thanks for the correction. I fixed it. ;)

18. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Elephant Sanctuary just received certification by the AZA. This is different from places being accredited (a program most people are more familiar with). I wonder what this means for the sanctuary. Are they becoming less radically anti-zoo?

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  19. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Well to receive certification they must have not only requested it of AZA but taken all necessary steps to meet the criteria

Wisp O' Mist and Ituri like this.
  20. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the AZA certification can be a good thing. It should prevent the sanctuary from blasting zoos and saying all breeding should cease. It should give AZA a sanctuary to send elderly elephants to which will appease rights activists and will be a nice alternative to PAWS.