Join our zoo community

Elephant Sanctuary The Elephant Sanctuary Tennessee

Discussion in 'United States' started by UntBwe, 2 Apr 2008.

1. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree, I think both sides will find it beneficial!

2. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree that this is a good thing, I am just so surprised that it happened since it always seemed like the Elephant Sanctuary was very anti-zoo and anti-captivity, and that the only reason they have elephants in the first place is because it is in their opinions the closest thing to actually living in the wild.

Wisp O' Mist and StoppableSan like this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Probably, the notion sank in that antagonising the zoo community and without cooperation from zoos elderly non-reproductive elephants their vision of a good home for elderly elephants will also not be a reality. I am glad at least one sanctuary has opted to work with rather than against AZA on elephant management.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

5. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

After an 11 year legal battle between the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee, Ms. Buckley has won. The court of Tennessee as granted ownership of Tara to Buckley and since then Tara has moved to her facility in Georgia.
    Tarra the elephant moves to Georgia refuge, reunites with owner

After Tara left, Nosey the African Bush Elephant was moved to the Asia habitat to live with Sissy. Nosey did not get along very well with the other African Elephants and was always somewhat of an outcast. This opportunity allows for both elephants to live in a healthy social group. All of the other Asian Elephants have been exposed to TB so to stop the risk of Sissy catching tuberculosis it was decided she would not join them.

On another note, Zoo Knoxville has announced that Tonka, Jana, and Edie will be moved from Knoxville to the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee.
    Zoo Knoxville on Instagram: "Zoo Friends, we have some important news to share with you. Zoo Knoxville announced today that African elephants Tonka, Jana, and Edie will be moving to @theelephantsanctuary in Tennessee, located in Hohenwald, Tennessee. Elephants have complex social needs and thrive with companionship. All three of Zoo Knoxville’s elephants are senior citizens by elephant standards. Realizing that Knoxville’s herd will be facing inevitable losses in the near future, Zoo Knoxville began exploring options to ensure their social needs would be met for the remainder of their lives. Zoo Knoxville and The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee are both accredited members of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), assuring the continuation of the highest standard of care for them. A lot of thought and consideration about what they needed to ensure their wellbeing at this stage of their lives went in to this decision. In addition to the high standard of care that is assured at an AZA-accredited facility, continuity of veterinary care in close consultation with U.T. College of Veterinary Medicine, the range of companionship they can provide, and the short amount of travel required for the move were decisive factors. Zoo Knoxville remains committed to our long legacy with elephants, however. We will be sharing a new master plan soon that includes a vision for the future of elephants in Knoxville with the support of the community. The moves will not be immediate and are ultimately dependent on the elephants themselves. Our expert elephant caretakers will begin training Jana, Edie, and Tonka to voluntarily enter and stand in a travel crate with positive reinforcement. When they are comfortable with this routine, females Jana and Edie will make the first moves accompanied by their care staff and veterinarians, and be followed later in 2023 by male Tonka. Zoo Knoxville will keep the community up to date on their departure so there is time to wish them farewell. #aza #elephants"

7. Yazziel

Yazziel Well-Known Member

Nosey has been at the Asian Habitat since ver arrival because she has had exposure to TB and the other African elephants have not. In fact the first elephant she ever interacted was with Tarra.

“Due to Nosey’s history of exposure to Mycobacterium tuberculosis — as noted in her health records since 2012 — it has been recommended that Nosey remain separated from other African elephants at The Sanctuary who have no history of exposure to TB. Consideration of her health and well-being as well as the health and well-being of the other elephants is a priority.”

The Elephant Sanctuary is Granted Permanent Custody of African Elephant Nosey - EleNotes

8. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

Elephantelephant and Mai Thai like this.
  9. Blackleopard207

Blackleopard207 Well-Known Member

Smaggledagle likes this.
  10. Blackleopard207

Also, does anyone know if Zoo Knoxville has transferred their elephants here yet?

SwampDonkey likes this.
  11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Not that I have heard. They mentioned them in a solicitation for tree trimmings a couple of weeks ago and they still list them on the website.

Blackleopard207 and StoppableSan like this.
  12. ZCChip

ZCChip Well-Known Member

it will happen later this year. The African bull elephant habitat is not complete yet. Artie is at the original barn. I forgot what they call it now.

Blackleopard207 likes this.
  13. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is he really in one of the original barns? I think they said he is in the new elephant care center which is a new faciliy with barm space for 2 elephants, a small paddock and lab space/ rooms for vets/ vet techs.

14. ZCChip

ZCChip Well-Known Member

That’s the only barn I am aware of that has two stalls. It was where Lota l, misty and Ned were.
    I thought the elephant care building was bigger than that?
    I haven’t been on their website i a while so I will have to look.

15. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No the elephant care center is a totally new building and not the barn where Lota and Misty and later Ned were housed.

16. ZCChip

ZCChip Well-Known Member

Cool. I wonder where it could be?

17. Blackleopard207

Ok, well if the African bull barn only has space for two elephants, it must be reserved for Artie and Tonka.

18. Blackleopard207

It would be really cool if the Elephant sanctuary could eventually prepare an area for a breeding herd. Or have a female/calf herd and breed one of their bulls with the females.

19. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Highly unlikely. From their website:

Does The Elephant Sanctuary breed elephants?
    • The organization does not support increasing the number of captive elephants.

• There is no assurance elephants born in captivity will ever be released in the wild.

FAQ

20. ZCChip

ZCChip Well-Known Member

it is not going to happen. All of the cows are too old and I believe both bulls are infertile/non breeders.