Join our zoo community

The EU/Brexit vote and zoos

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Lemurs, 20 Jun 2016.

1. Lemurs

Lemurs Well-Known Member

Not to get into a political discussion, but if we to leave the EU would that make it harder to transfer animals between UK zoos and mainland Europe? I guess EU nations would at least have stricter quarantine procedures for animals arriving from outside.

Would any other potential/hypothetical problems arise?

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It will all depend on the deals UK would make when they have left the EU. For exportinganimals to Switzerland the same rules apply as with exporting animals to another EU country. If they do not make such a deal, it will indeed be a hell of paperwork for every animal transport...

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

UK zoos already have that when dealing with the United States.

4. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

whether we stay in or out i dont think it will make a lot of difference to be honest

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The effect it might have on our wider environmental regulations is a much bigger issue than the effect on zoos, I'd say.

A lot of our wildlife and environmental protection laws come from the EU and whoever was in goverment when we were extricating ourselves would be entirely at liberty to set the agenda on which we keep, what replaces those we don't, and when.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is exactly the reason that Brexit could quite possibly have major impacts and -potentially - might negatively complicate transfer and exchange where this pertains to zoos and conservation-breeding.

As Maguari quite rightly has pointed out there is a lot more to the EU than just regulations and all efforts and endeavors that have for the most part positively changed all our outlook.

How or whom you vote for is indifferent to us Continentals, but I sure as hell hope you lads and lasses know what the hell you are doing and what you would be letting yourselves in for either way.

7. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I thought that there must be a lot of paperwork already. Don't animals have to go through a very strict quarantine period when they enter the British Isles?

8. Lemurs

Lemurs Well-Known Member

It depends on the animal and where from. An aye-aye was sent from Japan to Durrell last year and was in quarantine for “up to 4 months.” For primates from mainland (EU?) Europe it’s more a case of doing some standard checks and potentially being cleared within a week.

I know the EU banned animal testing for cosmetics. For climate change and renewable energy they’re more pro-active as well.

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As an American tourist with a fondness for European travel, I have a mild interest in this. I just happened upon this thread and as I type this the polls have just closed in England. Survey shows "remain" with a lead but nothing is certain yet. Just as I favored Scotland remaining in the UK (as the vote turned out), I favor England staying in EU (which I hope the vote will turn out). As a traveler, I just wish they would adopt the euro like most European countries because figuring out how many pounds and euros to get on a trip is annoying.

10. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

...but, hopefully, still attached to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland!

Sadly, it looks as if the ****** might have their way, and the leave campaign may triumph.

The biggest impact this will have on UK zoos is that the country's economy will be damaged massively, which will have an inevitable knock on for zoos (and for many other businesses, many of which will be destroyed by an 'out' vote). Alas, an appeal to a rather nasty xenophobia, tied in with a nebulous desire by some to return to a Britain last seen, if ever, in about 1954, may very well win the day against generosity and openness, and against economic good sense. I hope I'm incorrect, and the early indicators, from such places as Sunderland and Hartlepool, are not indicative of the way the country as a whole has voted.

11. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It now looks increasingly likely we will be leaving the EU. If that's true, the economic implications won't become clear for some time, but it could be beneficial to Britain's zoos, just as the 2008 recession led to less holidaying abroad. (Not that it would be beneficial to business as a whole!) It's still too early to tell, of course, but the punditry is fun.

12. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

This was my thought as well, but even if gate numbers are up the wider economic situation could have a negative impact. Is it not the case that the 2008 recession killed Chester's Heart of Africa?

Punditry IS fun, but at the moment it feels like a very powerless game. Living outside the UK at the moment adds a strange disconnect and frankly a sense of voyeurship.

13. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Currently the vote is incredibly tight, and has swung back to Remain (for now). Definitely edge-of-your-seat stuff, and I think it will be hard to predict for a while longer.

Great procrastination for me on the other side of the world :D :eek:

14. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

No the crash did not kill Heart of Africa at it was the winding up of the regional development agency.

15. Giant Panda

To be fair, the loss of regional development agencies was strongly linked to the recession and subsequent change of government.

Incredibly tight, indeed, but the Remain vote should have been more ahead at this point. It's nice to hear you're enjoying our teetering on a cliff edge, though :p

16. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I am enjoying it, its rather scary really. Especially as its now back to Leave (50.2)! I think I also have less of an idea of how it will all play out (increasing my anxiety!) than those in the UK - given I don't know how places were expected to vote and relative population sizes. For now it seems NI and Scotland are strong remain, while England and Wales more Leave, so should swing more that way given their larger overall pops. But if London is more Remain, with its large pop might swing the whole thing back the other way.

17. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@ Sooty Mangabey - Yes indeed thanks for the correction. I meant UK not just England, an ignorant mistake on my end. Here in the USA (and maybe elsewhere) England is often used to refer to the entire country. I know better of course, but that's what I get for typing too quickly.

18. Giant Panda

You're scared?!

Scotland and Northern Ireland were always going to be a strong Remain, but turnout appears to be low. Wales is Leave, with the notable exception of Cardiff (possibly not by as much as hoped). In England, Leave has a good showing, particularly in the Northeast, Northwest and the West Midlands. London is currently more strongly Remain than expected, but it's Outer London that'll make the real difference. Brexit wouldn't be a bad bet at this stage, though.

19. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I'm listening to the R4 commentary, which gives a lot of commentary and context. Basically it seems that LEAVE is in a hugely dominant position, despite the current level pegging. It would take a big upset in the areas left to declare to give REMAIN the victory.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I tend to think / feel the general mood is a sharply divided nation, rural and countryside versus urban London and working class versus the establishment and a tendency towards a LEAVE vote. The final result might well have some further unexpected spin-off effects (think Scotland ...).

I would say perhaps also the negativity Cameron mode during the campaign has been a huge defining factor in how people vote.