Join our zoo community

The following species in the United States

Discussion in 'United States' started by ungulate nerd, 3 Jan 2013.

1. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

Are there any of the following species in zoos, aquariums and wildlife parks in the united states and has there ever been any of the following species in captivity in the united states, like most Zoochatters, I have a very strong interest in animals and zoos and I would like to know the history of these animal species in zoos, aquariums or wildlife parks in the united states

Visayan spotted deer
    Carpathian red deer
    Manitoba elk
    Manchurian wapiti
    Spanish red deer
    Mischies tufted deer
    Black muntjac
    Marsh deer
    European moose
    European roe deer
    Siberian roe deer
    Mountain anoa
    Gayal
    Four horned antelope
    Golden takin
    Tadjik urial
    Macro polo argali
    Cyprian mouflon
    Putorana snow sheep
    Altai argali
    Bokharan argali
    Sumatran serow
    Amur goral
    Red goral
    Mountain gazelle
    Chinkara gazelle
    Balabac chevrotain
    Vicuna (didn't San Diego have them ???)
    Cokes hartebeest
    Salts dik dik
    Southern grysbok
    Selous zebra
    Mongolian wild ass
    Red forest duiker
    Syrian brown bear
    Sri lankan leopard
    Javan leopard
    Carpathian lynx
    Altai lynx
    Indian desert cat
    Yellow mongoose
    Indian gray mongoose
    Slender mongoose
    Ring tailed mongoose
    Gambian mongoose
    Narrow striped mongoose
    Japanese badger
    Crab eating raccoon
    Iberian wolf
    Chacma baboon
    White naped mangabey
    Hecks macaque
    Quagga (Extinct so none right now, but has there ever been any ???)
    Ussuri sika deer
    Caspian red deer
    Thai elds deer
    Indochinese hog deer
    Philippine brown deer
    Kashmir stag
    Mountain nyala
    Apennine chamois
    Himalayan goral
    Himalayan serow
    Water chevrotain
    Indian spotted chevrotain
    Beira antelope
    Indian wild ass
    Cape mountain zebra
    Crawshays zebra
    Pygmy hog
    Indian wild boar
    Javan warty pig
    Caspian wild boar
    Anatolian wild boar
    South china tiger
    Marsh mongoose
    Erlangers gazelle
    Arabian tahr
    Guiana tucuxi

2. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The only one that I know that has one of those species presently is the Bronx Zoo with 1.1 Ring-Tailed Mongooses.

3. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Water Chevrotain = The Bronx Zoo held a specimen between June 1949 and December 1952 (which is said to be the captive longevity record)

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some of these are likely to be found in Lee Crandall's book 'The Management of wild Mammals in Captivity'. Suggest you read it.

5. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Detroit had a Syrian brown bear when I was there in 2009. Not sure if it's still around.

6. ungulate nerd

Where can i buy or at least find this book ?

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It is worth adding that Bronx Zoo actually received seven water chevrotains on 15th June 1949; two were sent to Chicago soon afterwards, the other five remaining in New York. As Mike has mentioned, the specimen that died in New York on 31st December 1952 is still considered to hold the longevity record, sixty years later.

I saw ring-tailed mongooses in the National Zoo, Washington, during the 1980s.

Agreed; this excellent book would be the first place I’d search for such information. It is essential reading for anybody seriously interested in zoos. I’m rather busy this evening but, over the next few days, I’ll check to see if it provides any details about the other species on the original list.

There are copies of Lee Crandall’s “The Management of Wild Mammals in Captivity” for sale on-line at Abe books.

EDIT Just noticed your original list includes mountain nyala; none have been kept in the USA. Berlin Zoo, during the 1930s, is the only collection to have exhibited this antelope.

8. FBBird

I've just had a look, some of these species are recorded, but I won't spoil your fun. One of the best books you'll ever read.

9. ungulate nerd

Which species ?, if you dont mind me asking

10. FBBird

From your list, the following forms are recorded in Crandall's book as being kept in the US up to 1964:
    Japanese Badger, Gayal, Manchurian Wapiti, European Roe Deer, Four-horned anteloipe, Marco Polo Argali, Red forest Duiker, Indian Gray Mongoose, Marsh Mongoose, Crab-eating Racoon, Cape Mountain Zebra, Kashmir Stag, Alpine Chamois, Water Chevrotain, Indian Spotted Chevrotain, Chacma Baboon, White-naped Mangabey, Vicuna, Coke's Hartebeest

Ussuri Sika Deer were kept if that's the same animal as Dybowski's Sika.

The following are not definitely stated to have been imported to the US, but may have been:
    Tajik Urial, Indian Wild Ass, Thai Eld's Deer, Southern Grysbok, Selous Zebra, Mongolian Wild Ass, Altai Argali, Bokharan Argali, Balabac Chevrotain

None of the others on your list is recorded as being kept in the USA up to 1964.

You may be interested to know two species not on your list, that did reasonably well at the Bronx in days gone by, were Platypus & Thylacine. You'll have to get hold of the book for more details.

As an ungulate buff, you might enjoy 'The Years of Transition' by one of the Dukes of Bedford. About a third of the book is devoted to the many ungulate species that lived at Woburn. If you can get hold of any of the London zoo 'Lists of the Animals' from the 19th century, they are a mine of information about what was kept & bred in London 150 years ago. Ungulates did particularly well in very restriced quaters on hard standing --no grass, no parasites.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  11. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I didn't have time yesterday but I had intended to help answer the original question by providing some details from Crandall’s book this evening; however FBBird has pre-empted me.

It might be worth mentioning that another useful book for listing early zoo animals in the USA is “Wild Animals in and out of the Zoo” (William M. Mann; 1930); this is volume 6 of the Smithsonian Scientific Series.

The appendix provides a list of all the species held at Washington Zoo between 1890 and 1929. It also lists the longevity record for each species at the zoo and supplies a list of all species born there.

I have a copy of this book but I believe that the full text is available on-line.

12. ungulate nerd

FBBird, I cannot thank you enough, you yourself are a wealth of information, In fact i am looking into buying that book !!!

13. FBBird

Tim: thank you, I sat up half the night reading that book on line. Great fun, but the wife thought I had died.
    Ungulate: you're welcome
    Anybody else here got any goodies about zoo history that I can access online?

14. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are no black muntjacs and golden takins exported from China, as I know. The red gorals had only been exported to Holland, and the south China tigers had only been exported to USSR, and maybe Eastern Germany.

15. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Golden Takins [called 'Shensi Takin' on Zootierliste] were exported from China in 2002 to Liberec Zoo (Czech Republic). They can now also be seen in Berlin Tierpark and Bojnice Zoo (Slovakia).

16. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

There is also a single male at Chomutov (or at least there was in August!).

17. ungulate nerd

The Zoo that had Red gorals was Rotterdam Zoo, and according to Zootierlsite there were Black muntjacs at the Halle Zoo, and also in some canadian zoo or american zoo, but i do not know which zoo, and also according to Zootierlsite there were South china tigers at zoos in Ukraine, Russia, Czech republic, and at Tierpark Berlin and Cologne Zoo, anyways I hope this information helps !!!

18. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

I seem to remember the Los Angeles Zoo exhibiting Crab Eating Raccoons back in the 1960s, but that's not a positive. Michael, a former curator there could probably be more precise.

19. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I vaguely recall crab-eating FOXES, but I could be way off on that....

20. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Los Angeles had crab eating foxes and raccoon dogs in the seventies. San Diego Zoo had a red goral in the late sixties and early seventies, I'm not sure how long it lived. I took photos of it in 1971 or early 72.
    I have a number of duplicate zoo/ nature books, pm me if you are interested.