Join our zoo community

The Gardening Thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by AverageWalrus, 8 Mar 2015.

1. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

Does anybody else here enjoy gardening? If so, what are you doing in your garden, what's growing (this if for those in Warmer climates at the time of posting this, such as Florida)

For me, all I'm doing so far is Growing Bell Peppers (indoors) and trying to amass a small collection of seeds (Sunflowers, Lupine, Zinnia, Cucumber, and Pumpkin so far)

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Our strawberries are getting bigger, and we recently got a bumper crop of tomatoes from a single tree (which we then uprooted). The aubergine/eggplant has about 6 veggies at the moment. The mint is growing like a weed, and the rosemary is coming along nicely. Oh, and the lime tree has some buds, and we just picked some Habaneros from a small tree. My wife is the gardener, and I contribute by watering them. :D

3. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Tomato Tree......is that planted near your spaghetti bushes? :confused::p

I have just been given a greenhouse 4.5m x 2.5m, its going to be home for our tortoise (Mediterranean Spur Thigh) for who I need to make a little house to sleep in, he will be coming out of hibernation in a few week probably. Hoping to grow in pots in the green house tomatoes, cucumber, chillies and possibly melons.
    Outside I grow runner beans on a trellis, leeks, courgettes, marrows and parsnips direct into the veg beds. Growing pumpkins and courgettes quite close together gives rise to some interesting shaped veggies once they grow after pollination! I'm going to try my hand at celery and sprouts too for 2015. also, always have a decent sized patch of wild flowers most of the flowering season, it keeps the neighbours bees happy and gets the plants pollinated quite successfully too.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

Gonna be honest, I'm legitimately a little surprised that nanoboy was not the one who started this thread when I saw the title:p

~Thylo:cool:

5. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I have yet to receive my seeds, and also my garden is under a foot and a half of snow still. I do have a fancy new grow light though. And don't ask about my cactus and succulent collection. I am however slow getting around to pruning my fruit trees. The snow is hindering it. Maybe its because I'm not in Florida.

6. dean

dean Well-Known Member

What sort of fruit trees are you growing W ?if it's stoned fruit Plums, cherries, apricots etc you should wait until they are in full leaf before pruning, but I'm sure you will know that.

7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I like plants as much as animals. I collect succulents having many species, overall of Aloe, my favourite succulent genus. I love more the bulb plants and I tried several species of rare bulbs and rare aroids - many of them recent additions waiting for sprouting. Now are in bloom Ipheion uniflorum, hybrid daffodils, Hyacinthus orientalis, Lobularia maritima, Prunus dulcis and Prunus armeniaca. Yesterday I had a bad thing, my most valuable plant died - a Geissorhiza radians - with no apparent reasons. Maybe it only started the resting period much sooner than expected - it's a recent addition (received on 6th January this year) and it should be in bloom now. Since good weather started a couple of weeks ago, all my succulents are already outdoors - only the most frost hardy species, such as some epiphytic cacti, tropical Aloe, some Kalanchoe, etc- pass the winter indoors. There is a terrific plant that is a true pest, Allium triquetrum (also just starting to bloom now). They're very nice, but I planted a pair of tufts caught in Barcelona years ago, and now they invade all the garden despite my constant efforts for erradicate them. At least they're good in soup or omelette :)

I will add some pictures of my garden. The pics are not recent, are from other years. They show how my garden will look like in about a couple or weeks or so. The succulent collection is a very old pic, now is approximately double larger, hehe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 12 Mar 2015
  8. AverageWalrus

This Morning, I discovered that My Blanket Flowers have finally Germinated! There is one that sprouted overnight (and grew alot fast too!) and then, after I got home from School, discovered 2 more sprouting seeds while watering, Still no Bell Peppers growing though (Altough I have been told that they are notoriously slow getminators, so thats most likely why)

9. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

When I saw this thread, I thought - "I don't do any gardening so I'll ignore it" but I've just realised that I do a lot of gardening:p.
    I live in a flat so don't actually have a garden but I have a few fish tanks and I do a lot of gardening in those.
    My tanks are all heavily planted tanks (of course with fish as well) and I keep and grow at the moment 13 different plant species and they grow very well so I am constantly having to trim them and split the plants.
    In fact, today I set up another small planted tank and bought three new species of plants for it. Those being Echinodorus red flame cultivar, Cryptocoryne wendtii green cultivar and Ludwigia sp.

10. wensleydale

I do have stone fruit. Unfortunately there is a brown rot infestation and I need to excise severely infected areas while the tree is still dormant. I also have blueberries and members of the raspberry family, and am seriously considering a member of the apple family in the near future. It is currently blueberry pruning season though, and I can hardly get to them which is sort of upsetting because I like to do things ahead of time.

11. AverageWalrus

Since I posted this thread, I have expanded my seed collection, a lot. Anyways, I decided to post it here, because why not?

Flowers

Velvet Queen Sunflower
    Autumn Beauty Mix (Sunflower)
    Sunflower (Vanilla Ice)
    Larkspur (Imperial Giant Mix)
    Oktoberfest Calendula
    Marigold (Burpee's Best Mix)
    Zinnia (Candy Cane Mix)
    Nasturtium (Jewel Mix)
    Blanket Flowers
    Strawflower
    Torch Tithonia (a.k.a Mexican Sunflower)

Vegetables

Bell Peppers (Carnival Mix)
    Watermelon (Orange Tendersweet)
    Tomato (Super Beefsteak)
    Ruby Queen Corn
    Early Bush Italian Bean
    Big Max Pumpkin
    Cucumber (Straight Eights)

Herbs

Cilantro
    Parsley
    Basil
    Oregano
    Sage
    Thyme
    Rosemary

I...I think I went overboard

EDIT- I am also expecting to get a shipment of bulbs, Mexican Shell Flower, Echinacea, Anemone, Harlequin Flowers, and Gladiolus

12. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Are you starting a seed bank for a post-apocalyptic world? If not, do you plan to actually plant them? The pumpkins and melons grow like vines I believe, and probably need a fair bit of space.

Over the weekend we planted coriander, 'summer coriander', pak choy, and lettuce.

13. AverageWalrus

For the Pumpkins, Im probobly going to only have 1 or 2 plants, since the cultivar I bought are bred for their Massive size (Why do I have giant pumpkins, because why not!) And for the Melons, I'll make them there own sepate raised bed.

14. AverageWalrus

Today while watering, I discovered that one of my Strawflowers seeds has taken root and popped its little head out of the dirt (although the seed is still attached, meaning it probably just did so overnight)

15. wensleydale

I may have seen a snowdrop bud today. Also, my snow crocus are slowly sticking their heads up.

16. AverageWalrus

At long last, I have finally seen signs of life in the pepper pots, two sprouts are coming up!:D Hoping to see more soon. Also, there is also a tomato sprout from 4 year old seeds, so that's cool

17. wensleydale

Peppers take a long time to sprout usually.

18. AverageWalrus

Today, I noticed that my Lillies are sprouting up, also, My Cilatro has finally germinated. Yesterday, in the morning, there were only one or two, only about a centimeter tall, after I got back in the night, there were about 6-8, with most about an inch tall, so yeah, dont underestimate the growing power of Cilatro. Also, everything is going nice, The Tomato is healthy and growing fast, the Blanket Flowers have new growth, the peppers are nice, with some new ones sprouting, and more strawflowers have sprouted

19. wensleydale

WE HAVE SNOWDROPS!

I worry I am oversharing even though this is very vague information and anyone walking by my house (good luck finding it) could see them in plain sight, and a million other people are likely making similar statements right now.

This winter may be heading towards its end in earnest. Other flowers are sticking their heads up as well. Buds are also beginning to swell on woody plants. This means I may soon be working the ground.

20. AverageWalrus

Im thinking of getting a Berry bush, either Raspberry (preferably Golden, because they just look nice) "Black Raspberry", or Blackberry, which kind would be best for Zone 7a (my Grow Zone)