Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo The Giraffes are coming & £55m make over

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jane Doe, 28 Mar 2015.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am just glad giraffes will be back at Twycross Zoo. I do feel the need for a more general zoo feel aside from the wonderful primate park ethos. I suspect most visitors will applaud the move too.

Whether it should have been hybrids or not: perhaps you have a point, but I assume the studbook keeper has made his terms known and zoos willing to come in from the cold need to start with whatever he / she is willing to provide from other collections.

I rather suspect that TWZ has already indicated they wanted a breeding group, but this may take some time. Allthough, I would say supply for pure-bred reticulated or Rothschild's and even Kordofan is not that bad anymore. All these captive populations are increasing exponentially.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It was my feeling that the old Giraffe House could have been renovated quite satisfactorily and the paddock extended too, instead of them building this completely new enclosure and house, given that the outdoor area is scarcely much bigger than what went before. It is rather sandwiched behind the Elephant enclosure too. They actually have two giraffe houses now, one defunct, and one brand new. But it is still good they are returning obviously.

3. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Whilst I'm overly fond of the new, less extensive, menu (and don't get me started on the queuing system) I really don't think twycross food is any more or less exoensive than other zoos I've visited. The breakfast is great value.

Jane Doe - what food did you have when you visited? what zoos are you comparing it with? I Always eat at the zoos I visit so I would welcome some cheap but tasty recommendations.

4. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Yes I agree it seems to have changed in the last 5 or 6 years. I miss the good choice of books in zoos

5. Pertinax

I'll wager Jersey still sell good books. They used to be in a different league entirely to all other zoos in that respect- as they are in many others...;)

6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

They also sell better quality zoo paraphernalia. And delicious fresh food in the restaurant.

7. Pertinax

The only Zoo food outlet I know that genuinely deserves the term 'restaurant' I think. Maybe we should form the JZAS( Jersey Zoo Appreciation Society).;)

8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I'll sign up for that :) 'What would Jersey do?' is my new mantra at zoos ;)

9. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I remember getting quite a shock at Bristol!

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is land availabe to extend the giraffe paddock towards the A444.

11. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On my last trip to Chester I was shocked to find the book section has effectively vanished!

Deplorable.

(Many years ago I recall buying an International Zoo Yearbook at Marwell!)

12. Pertinax

I did notice a considerable gap between the narrow end of the paddock and the road. Perhaps it will be extended in due course. I had presumed that a new enclosure was being built to give a lot more space. I seem to remember that was the reason given as to why the Giraffes left the Zoo and went to (was it) Blair Drummond, but that's not the case as it is.

13. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

I'd assume that's a space that is being saved to build an indoor area for another species to eventually introduce into the paddock area. Perhaps the zebra/nyala that the zoo already have, or maybe something a little more exciting.

14. GillP

GillP Well-Known Member

I went to Chester for the first time in 3 years on Saturday and noticed the dearth of books - other than a few children's titles. I think the last time I went their selection had reduced considerably but was still much better than it is now. The first time I went I remember being delighted - as an avid reader - by the huge choice of books to browse through. No doubt those titles are still available on Amazon etc but there's nothing like looking through a real bookshop and very few - if any - would carry such a wide choice of zoology related books like Chester once did. It sometimes feels that each and every time I go to a zoo I'm familiar with (usually Colchester, but others too) the 'quality' of stuff in its gift shop gets worse - more and more cheap tat - but I suppose they've found that this is what sells in greatest quantity.

I also went to Twycross yesterday (last visit 2013) and completely missed the new giraffe area (probably due to running through awful wind and rain from building to building) - though of course noticed many other changes/improvements (and some alterations I wouldn't call an improvement at all - like the monster soft play area in the canteen) which on the whole, were positive. It's good to hear they're coming back very soon though - will have to go back much sooner to see them.

15. Pertinax

If the new Paddock were a large field I would say quite possibly, but it isn't. At its current size its big enough to hold say, four Giraffe and that's about all. Also, if they removed the Zebra and Nyala from their existing enclosure in the middle of the Zoo they would have to fill that with something else too. I quite liked the extension to the old Giraffe paddock, though the Zebra and Nyala do still look rather dwarfed by the old Giraffe building.

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I suggest ye all look at the new planning document drawn up by the Brummie architects for the masterplan. I should hold some answers to all these queries and perceived inconsistencies.

I - for one - am so so glad TWZ seems finally to be emerging from deep inside the woods and - really - honestly most recent changes have been good if not huge improvements on the rather stagnant and warfare Boardman era ...! :

17. Pertinax

If you are talking about the plan that shows various coloured 'Zones' on it, the writing is so faint and indicipherable that I can't really make anything out from it and remain none the wiser to the proposed longer term developments there.

The plans for the Ape developments( and gibbons) on the other hand are more clearly shown on the montage of photos which accompanied the recent Press release. From that there seems no doubt about where Phase 1- 'Chimpanzee Eden' and Phase 2. the other 3 Ape species will/would be situated.

18. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

A giraffe has been transferred today from colchester, not aware of any more info but I was driving behind it on the M25 this morning!

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Excellent news :)

20. Pertinax

House and enclosure must be ready then, or as good as. No doubt they want them in for Easter.

This one must be Colchester's Reticulated male.