Join our zoo community

Beijing Zoo The glorious history of Beijing Zoo

Discussion in 'China' started by Deer Forest, 23 Dec 2014.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This is also tristis, and another photograph of an "ocelot" morph animal which I had never seen before :) of the three subspecies, only the Tibetan displays this pattern. Even animals which are not true "ocelot" morph tend to display faint rosettes on the legs and part of the body, however.

The Chinese Golden Cat (dominicanorum) is a *lot* more robust than the Tibetan Cat, and occasionally displays faint rosettes on the legs and belly-freckles - but overall has much plainer and more solid colouration. The subspecies always puts me in mind, in terms of build and colouration, of a puma.

The Indochinese Golden Cat (temminckii) is about as gracile as the Tibetan subspecies, but like the Chinese subspecies it is much more regular in pelage - although the fur colour tends to be brighter than either of the other subspecies. I do not believe this subspecies tends to display rosettes on the legs at all - but I believe the belly is sometimes covered with freckles as in the Chinese.

I've always thought that the "ocelot" morph of Golden Cat is the form in which the close kinship between the taxon and the closely related Marbled Cat (Pardofelis marmorata) is most visible - were it not for the robust facial build of the second photographed animal I could almost imagine it to be a Marbled Cat! Conversely, the nominate Indochinese is the taxon which most resembles the sister species Pardofelis badia, the Bay Cat - which for all the world looks like a pygmy form of Indochinese Golden Cat!

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This breeding should have been in 1980.

3. FrancoiseLangur

FrancoiseLangur Well-Known Member

I wonder what the Francois - White-headed hybrid looked like.

4. Deer Forest

Deer Forest Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't find any records about this uo to now, but I will keep this in mind and told you at once if I saw any information related.

5. Deer Forest

Golden takin (Budorcas taxicolor bedfordi)
    [​IMG]
    Beijing Zoo got the first one-month-old male from Zhouzhi, Shanxi province in 1974, and several wild individuals after that. They didn't began to breed until 1992.

Sichuan takin (Budorcas taxicolor tibetana)
    [​IMG]
    Beijing Zoo got the first one-year-old male from Sichuan Province in 1963, and several wild individuals after that. They didn't began to breed until 1981.

6. Deer Forest

Tufted deer (Elaphodus cephalophus)
    [​IMG]
    Beijing Zoo began to keep tufted deer in 1960, and bred successfully in 1972.

7. Deer Forest

Crested ibis (Nipponia nippon)
    [​IMG]
    Beijing Zoo began to keep crested ibis in 1981, but only one. Beijing Zoo established the Ibis Reserch Center in 1985, and catch several individuals from the wild then. In 1988 the eggs firstly hatched, and the breeding succeed in 1992.

8. Deer Forest

Black-necked crane (Grus nigricollis)
    [​IMG]
    Beijing Zoo used artificial insemination to breed black-necked crane firstly in the world in 1987, and successfully bred more than 30 nestling cranes from 1987-1992.

Siberian crane (Leucogeranus leucogeranus)
    [​IMG]
    Beijing Zoo began to keep Siberian crane in 1957, and bred successfully in 1990. Beijing Zoo used artificial insemination to breed Siberian crane firstly in 1989, and bred about 10 nestling cranes up to 1992.

9. Deer Forest

Chinese monal (Lophophorus lhuysii)
    [​IMG]
    Beijing Zoo began to keep Chinese monal in 1955, and bred successfully in 1980s.

10. Deer Forest

Chinese crocodile lizard (Shinisaurus crocodilurus)
    [​IMG]
    Beijing Zoo began to keep Chinese crocodile lizard in 1978, and bred successfully in 1979.

11. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1980..a few other rarities listed are 1.1 Dziggetai,0.1 Mongolian Gazelle,2.0 Sumatran Serow.

12. Deer Forest

some other important things of Beijing Zoo in 1980:

Gave Ueno Zoo, Japan a giant panda "Huan Huan" as present, got 2 orangutans, 3 Japanese Sikas in return.

Orangutan "Luo Bole" gave birth to a female baby "Qiang Qiang".

Got the female Indian rhinoceros "Bondi" as a gift from the king Birendra of Nepal.

Exhibit the elephant seal from Ocean Park Hong Kong.

Got two pairs of nine-banded armadillos from a company (American Natural Resources Limited?), USA.

Fur seals bred successfully for the first time.

The house of African elephant was completed and opend to visitors.