Join our zoo community

The Golden bellied capuchin

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 30 Jan 2021.

1. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any idea why the crested capuchin program is not succesful ? Lack of breeding success or lack of interest from American institutions ?

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

No idea @Therabu but it would be interesting to find out, maybe a US based zoochatter knows the answer to this.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

In terms of Callithrix I won't make a secret of the fact that I would really like to see the buffy tufted marmoset and Weid's marmoset arrive in a small number of Europe zoos and to be successfully established.

Fingers crossed this could happen at a future date and particularly with aurita, but lots of work to do here in Brazil before anything like that could transpire.

In terms of Saguinus I think the species that really strikes me as being in need of an ex-situ programe in European (and North American?) zoos is the white footed tamarin but the ministry of environment in Colombia regrettably do not share that view.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2021
    Sausagefingers likes this.
  4. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

There could be a few reasons from a regional exclusivity agreement between the AZA and EAZZ or two many species or a lack of interest. The regional exclusivity could be like the AZA having Matschies tree kangaroo and EAZA having Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo in efforts to preserve both. They might have decided conservation would be easier if they both took different species. America could also have enough species. They already have: Tufted (sapajus apella), tufted (sapajus apella apella), white-throated, and Crested (only held in the US). And people/AZA zoos might just be fine with the current capuchin species and don't need new ones.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yep could be, a la Baird tapir and lowland tapir.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  6. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sapajus capuchins often forage by looking into bark on branches, vines, cervices, accumulations of dead leaves etc. seeking hidden insects. So in human care, they often tear apart everything what could be torn.

Perhaps fast growing, thin bushes or bamboo would hold better.

Also it could be especially good enrichment to give them something to pick apart for hidden food, like bags or containers filled with straw or paper etc.

Overall, it is a group which has several very rare forms, thrives in human care and which is regularly captured locally for pets or as crop pests. It is a pity that confiscated capuchins are not used to make breeding groups.

7. Pepe

Pepe Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Mainly lack of space (too many other capuchins around), and for some zoos zoos a green "natural" looking exhibit might be more important than the animal that is in it, and with capuchins it is difficult to keep the enclosure lush and jungle-like.

But there are also less zoos; AZA has 240 members, EAZA 300+ members. That is an advantage for the EEPs. there are very few populations of primates that really do well in the US (AZA) zoos.

For the Larger New World Monkeys, there are the following populations in AZA (numbers of 2018):
    S. sciureus 250 ind. (in Europe 750 ind + 750 boliviensis)
    P. pithecia 135 ind., (in Europe 350 ind)
    S. apella 55 (1000 in Europe)
    C. capucinus 35 (100 in Europe)
    A. caraya 135 (150 in Europe)
    A. fusciceps 45 (225 in Europe)
    A. geoffroyi 200 (20 in Europe)
    A. hybridus 2 (80 in Europe)
    A. paniscus 5? (50 in Europe)
    P. donacophilus 65 (100 P. cupreus in Europe)
    A, azarea 50 (20 in Europe)
    A. griseimembra 20 (75 in Europe)

8. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you Pepe !

Indeed, AZA have less institutions and they usually hold less species compared to European counterparts. It is really disappointing to see that in this context, efforts are not made to focus on endangered species because they harm vegetation...The amount of space occupied by saimiri is impressive even though I am aware that one cannot simply replace squirrel monkey by capuchin or spider monkey.
    I am diverting from the original subject but what is the subspecie status of the A. geoffroyi in AZA ? Zoo-mix or do they all belong to the same origin ?

9. Pepe

Pepe Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Concerning your first remark: indeed it would be better to focus on more endangered species, but we also have a moral and ethical responsibility for the other animals, and it is therefore not easy to replace species. They should be transferred to non-AZA zoos, but I am not sure if the rules allow this.

Concerning the A. geoffroyi, the population is split in "dark phase" animals (currently lumped by taxonomists as A.g. vellerosus) and "light phase" animals (taxonomy complicated, currently lumped as A.g.geoffroyi).

10. CrashMegaraptor

CrashMegaraptor Well-Known Member

My mother loves capuchins, and I'm pretty sure the Golden-Bellied is her favourite. Luckily, with Colchester Zoo being one of our closest zoos, we get the chance to see them fairly often.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

That is great to hear @CrashMegaraptor !

They are a beautiful and engaging species and I'm glad people appreciate them in zoos though I really wish people here in Brazil would also appreciate them more.