Join our zoo community

The Great British Circus attempts Elephant breeding?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by elephant400, 7 Jun 2009.

1. elephant400

elephant400 Well-Known Member

by now all of u will know that the great british circus has two asian cows and one african cow, but Martin Lacey and Lars the elephant trainer (former head of the elephants at some Zoo, not sure where) have disscussed and decicided to breed the elephants to have a performing calf/calves. This is what was stated on their site

We have decided that we should be attempting to breed elephants with our unique gene pool of two Indian and one African cows. I was therefore thrilled to receive a letter from the ECA telling me that the Animal Working Group have agreed to work on this project this year and are now collecting data on all European circus elephants as quickly as possible. I have also heard that Colchester Zoo have had some success with African elephants but the zoo world to date have been most unhelpful. I just wish zoos would realise how well kept circus elephants are, exercised and stimulated though training and walks around their circus site, unlike their zoo cousins, who are usually bored, overweight and in some cases cannot be handled by their keepers. Martin Lacey Jnr is joint Chairman of the European Circus Association’s Animal Working Group with Sonny Frankello. Both Alex Lacey and me are members of the group.

hate the horrible remarks about zoo's

2. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

They speak for themselves really. :rolleyes:

3. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That`s just ridiculous and shows that neither Martin Lacey, Lars Holscher (the elephant trainer) nor anyone at the Great British Circus knows anything about elephant reprodcution, the girls they have are all 3 WAAAY too old for breeding. Thabkfully most circus elephants in europe are too old, too. The circusses are wasting their money, ha ha ha. I like that zoos are "most unhelpful"!

4. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I actually agree with him about elephants in zoos, they are normally overweight and probably get bored much easier. Sounds like he's slagging zoos off a bit though, would do him good not to do that. I don't know why zoos wouldn't help them though, CAPs and the like hate zoos as it is, so I don't see that it would get them much more negative press than they already get.
    And elephant400, it's not really a horrible remark to be fair, all he said was that they're being unhelpful, which they probably are.
    Yassa: How old are they?

Last edited: 7 Jun 2009
  5. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Zoos generally don't like circuses either. Which I'm glad about, those places don't deserve any respect IMO.