Join our zoo community

Berlin Zoo The Impact Of WWII on Berlin Zoo - as illustrated by maps of the time

Discussion in 'Germany' started by TeaLovingDave, 4 Oct 2020.

1. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems,in keeping with general Nazi policies,that zoos in Eastern Europe got a much worse deal than those towards the west. For instance Rotterdam`s current zoo actually opened in the war years. A friend of mine whose family owned the now defunct Wassenaar Zoo near The Hague in Holland ,says that the occupying forces were actually quite sympathetic towards the zoo. Im certainly not here to defend the Nazis but rather to offer a balanced and truthful picture of their activities.

2. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And to TeaLovingDave...many thanks for the translation of a guide book i have owned for years,without knowing it contained nuggets of information i wasnt aware of(even though ive stayed there as a guest on many occasions), such as the paragraph on currency problems. The total removal of the bunker wasnt completed until the early seventies incidentally, such was the size and heavyweight construction of the building.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm glad you found my translation enjoyable and informative - especially given how well-versed in zoo history you are! :)

4. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Where was the flak tower located in comparison to the zoo today?

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Roughly speaking, under the site of the current Hippo House and Bird House.