Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo The Islands development - planning, development and build (2012-2015)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by gentle lemur, 7 Mar 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are not getting lorikeets, it will be a Bali Starling and Java Sparrow walk-through. Please try to contain your excitement.

I feel let down that the Monsoon House will not be open for member's previews:mad:, and I'm sure the public will not be impressed. It's had enough hype.

2. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

I wasn't having ago at you I was being a little sarky.

3. ChesterZooFan

ChesterZooFan Well-Known Member

Have to say I am also really disappointed that the full opening has been put back with such short notice. They must have known for a while that it wasn't going to be ready in time....

I wonder what the issues have been? It has already come in 30% over budget and several months late opening in its entirety. Don't get me wrong - I am a supporter of the zoo and understand that a lot of this is out of their control. They have employed architects and contractors to deliver on the project and they have clearly not been able to do this within the agreed timescales. There are clearly some major snags to iron out ....

The Islands blog states:

"As our opening date gets closer our priority is to ensure that the animals are offered the best possible experience of their new home. We’re undergoing rigorous testing to ensure the safety and comfort of the animals and sequencing any snagging work accordingly.
    Now that we have a better idea of our timetable for completion we’ve decided to open Islands in two phases".

I wonder how the contract has been agreed - I'm not an expert in these matters but I hope the contractors have to burden the additional cost of completing the remaining works and not the zoo? The more money being spent on Islands the longer it will take to invest in future projects.

Anyway - nothing anyone can do, and it does mean we have another exciting event to look forward to later in the year. Any bets for how long it will take to get Monsoon Forest and Sumatra ready? Mid August? September?

In other news what does anyone think of the TV ad.....?

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Sorry what are you getting at here? People with Dyslexia cannot write? :confused:

I really don't understand the problem with giving a leaflet to people who have dyslexia. (Oh and I know what it is, as I was tested for it).

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I am very disappointed with this and wondering whether it will be worth attending now. I wanted to see the whole thing and get the whole experience first time. Now I have to do it in two trips. :mad:

Very late in the day to announce this....I hope who ever the fault lies with the appropriate action is taken. As no doubt there will be alot of disappointed visitors when they turn up and cannot see it all.

6. dcfc21

dcfc21 Member

From a purely public relations perspective it seems a bit disingenuous to have half the TV advert be about tigers and then not have any tigers there for potentially several months after the stated opening date.

7. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd agree if it were a new stand-alone zoo but since you can see the tigers and orangutans back in the main zoo until they move I don't really think the average zoo visitor will really care too much.

8. OrangePerson

I think you'll find adrian1963 is lamenting the fact that people won't be having a go at the zoo, not complaining that they are!

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm wondering if he is confusing Dyslexia with illiteracy. If not, his post makes no sense.

10. OrangePerson

Actually this is a good point, the average reading age of the British public is not that high - about "Sun reading age". I once saw a lady by the tapirs, child said "What is it?" she studied the sign for a while and then said "I don't know".

Where I work people recognise that "I've not got my glasses" when forms need to be read and signed can often be a cover for being unable to read.

What about the people who can't read & write, will there be help for them?

11. adrian1963

Correct I must count myself as slightly illiteracy sorry for any confusion

12. adrian1963

13. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Its getting a bit random this don't you think Adrain1963?

The zoo cannot afford to have a member of staff on stand by in case some visitor is dyslexic!, and more so, I'm sure those folks with dyslexia just want to enjoy their visit like everyone else does, you know....go zoo, see animals, have fun, go home.

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

That said, I imagine there would be some time lag between the animals moving and the relevant area of Islands opening to the public, so as to give the animals a chance to settle.

As such, there will still be a (possibly significant) length of time where the tigers and orang-utans will not be visible - which may well cause complaints.... especially if the move happens soon.

15. OrangePerson

I can see that but animals can move to a different institution and still be on-show relatively quickly so not sure how long they'll really need to let them settle for with much less disturbance, very short transfer time, same staff, same geographical location.

16. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ironically, as I look at this thread I get a pop-up advert from the Zoo about "Molly" who is hunting for Sumatran Tigers.

Well she won't find them in Islands!

:)

17. prawnie1975

prawnie1975 Well-Known Member

i noticed today that some of the current enclosures do have signs saying that they have been moved to the Islands

18. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Which enclosures are those?

19. prawnie1975

prawnie1975 Well-Known Member

one was the Visayan warty pig that are under the bridge near the Bat cave and i believe the Sulawesi crested macaque as also moved across

20. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So the lion-tailed macaques move next I expect. Into the old Sulawesi enxlosure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.