Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo The Islands development - planning, development and build (2012-2015)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by gentle lemur, 7 Mar 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prawnie1975

prawnie1975 Well-Known Member

I forget there was 2 different ones ... i didn't see the sign myself but its the ones that are near the female cheetahs i was told by someone

2. ChesterZooFan

ChesterZooFan Well-Known Member

Only the warty pigs have moved and this is the only enclosure with a sign. I didn't see any rhinoceros hornbills ( even though they are part if phase 2) but apart from that all other animals are still in their original enclosures as of yesterday.

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I went today, 2 Javan Rhinoceros hornbills were in the Tropical House, didn't see the one in the elephant house.

I also noticed that there was no sign saying the macaques had moved and they were still in the Monkey house, seems like they changed their mind.

Two onagers and a buffalo look ready to give birth.

I saw 1 Spectacled Owl chick, and another 4 Red-breasted goslings. One of the original two youngsters was not on show.

The path to the meerkats was closed, I don't know why.

There is an enormous crack in the glass in the tapir inside viewing building. The tapirs are now in the old vicuna paddock.

A large wooden building is under construction near to the entrance, it has a glass front and a wide wooden ramp leading up to it. I don't know what it is.

A new history plaque has been erected on the north side of the Europe on the Edge aviary.

Met two lots of visitors who were lost and could not read the map. Chester really needs to do something about this.

4. ChesterZooFan

There is also another of these exactly the same erected next to the snack shop overlooking the one horned rhinos. Inside are a number of brightly coloured plinths....?? Have NO idea what these might be for....??

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

:D:D At least it didn't show 'ShavingtonZoo' hard at work filling in a compulsory questionaire....:rolleyes:

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am grateful for small mercies! :)

7. bongorob

Z magazine says 8 mammal species have moved over, at the moment thay are only 7 out.

8. ChesterZooFan

I suppose they don't need that much time to get used to their new surroundings before the public is allowed access. They are not exactly having to endure long journeys and I assume they will not need to be sedated.

In other news, where have the oryx gone? They have removed the fence between the oryx paddock and Mandano Town and I saw no sign of them this week?

9. ChesterZooFan

Just seen the online ticket prices for the coming months.

Looks like phase 2 may be launching on Thursday 27th August ready for the bank holiday weekend. The zoo have reduced their ticket prices from 13th July as a result of the phased opening, but they have increased them back up on 27th Aug. I guess 6 weeks isn't too long to wait and to get the snagging sorted.

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What location do you mean by Mandano Town?

Or should it read: Manado, Sulawesi / Indonesia?

11. bongorob

I don't think that opening at one of the busiest times of the year is a good idea.

12. ChesterZooFan

Yes sorry Manado Town - it is. The restaurant / shop area in Islands

13. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought that was Sumba :confused:.

14. bongorob

The oryx were on the hardstanding on 1st July.

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It might be worthwhile looking at a map some time. Manado is definitely one of the most important cities on Sulawesi and capital of Minahassa Province, NE Sulawesi.

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

but they aren't talking about locations in Indonesia - they are talking about locations in Chester Zoo....

17. Macaw16

I just remember reading somewhere on here that the restaurant area was going to be called Sumba, and that some people on here thought it would cause confusion with zoo visitors.

18. ChesterZooFan

Sumba is the Island where the Lazy River Boat Trip leaves from, and also has a large educational building which will be used for school parties and private functions. There will also be a recreation of a Sumba village market with mocked up stalls and lots of decorative bird cages "for sale" to highlight the extent of the wild bird trade, and the risk to local bird life.

Sulawesi will be home to Manado Town, which is the end of the Islands journey. As well as the animals there will be: Manado Permit Office - where 'explorers' will hand in their findings (i.e. the completed worksheet handed out at Coral Sands), Manado Street Kitchen (i.e. Restaurant serving authentic Asian street food), an outside under cover seating area, children's mini playground, toilet block and finally a shop (selling authentic S.E. Asian products sourced from the original Islands).

19. Macaw16

Thanks for the clarification :).

20. Chesterchamp

Chesterchamp New Member

I think the simple reason the prices change is becuase its a bank holiday weekend rather than anything to do with any new part of Islands

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.