Join our zoo community

The Jungle Book

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by ThylacineAlive, 16 Sep 2015.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There aren't any Human characters in The Lion King so it wouldn't be anything other than a CGI animated movie, which I think would look really weird. At least here there are at least a few Human characters it seems and one, Mowgli, who will be around for the entirety of the film, whereas The Lion King would have nothing live about it.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tarzan is slated next if this is a financial success.

~Thylo:cool:

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, I guess it would be kind of weird to have an all-CGI "live-action" movie. (at that point, it's not really live-action, honestly) Maybe if they used real animals for most scenes, but you're probably right.

As for Tarzan... Eh, maybe. Not one of the most popular Disney movies. Sure, it made a lot of money, but it hasn't seemed to hit "classic" status like Cinderella and The Jungle Book. It doesn't get as much discussion as the other movies. Maybe it will with time, I do think it's a very good movie. (though the songs aren't very memorable, that's probably a big reason people don't remember the movie as well) I imagine if they make a Tarzan live-action movie, it'll be after they've done adaptations of their more popular films.

Then again, a lot of the live-action movies seem to be going for a darker, edgier, more "mature" feel, and Tarzan would be a good candidate for that. Plus, for the past few years Disney has been making more of an effort to appeal to the young male audience. They bought out Marvel and Star Wars, but they don't have a lot of Disney-made stuff that's super successful with boys. I could picture them using a live-action Tarzan to appeal to boys.

3. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The misplaced wildlife thing could be worse. The Jungle Book 2 had ocelots. Bugged the crap out of child me when I saw it.

4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the Jungle Cubs T.V. series (a show that followed a bear-cub Baloo, and orangutan infant King Louie, a snakeling Kaa, a panther cub Bagheera, a tiger cub Shere Khan, and an elephant calf hathi who are oddly all friends and live in Louie's temple aka their "club house") there were also sloths, lemurs, and hamadryas baboons. Unless a menagerie was in town, what the hell were those animals doing wild in India?

5. Loxodonta Cobra

New Trailer for the 2016 version out! It gives a greater view on the looks and voices of the other animals besides Kaa. Personally, the chosen voice actors are perfect in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qgAaxB_pc

6. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Seen it and I think I'll give it a miss. Looks like some of the CGI is suffering from the same problems (IMO) that befell Jurassic World. And why turn King Louie into some sort of Mafia Don?!?!? He could better as a disillusioned Kurtz-type character.

7. ThylacineAlive

We will have to agree to disagree then because I think it looks pretty good:p I was definitely not a fan of Jurassic World's CGI (which in my opinion was worse looking than some of the stuff in the original movie) but I don't mind this. I think the landscapes look pretty great and the animals aren't bad at all.

8. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

King Louie as Kurtz would be absolutely brilliant. Just reading it in your post, I now have a hard time seeing him as anything else.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

eww. The voices are terrible! The CGI looks alright - somehow not as good as in the previous trailer which was released - but the voices just absolutely ruined it for me.

And Baloo still looks nothing at all like a sloth bear!

10. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

It's just a nod to book canon, as well as that buffalo herd.

11. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Agree that most of the voices are terrible! But the CGI isn;t too bad, and I'm impressed with the variety of species.

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that latest trailer has a tonne of species! It looks like the setting is a boundary of northern and north-eastern India, so the only really out of place animals are the lion-tailed macaques (which are found only in southern India).

In the crowd scenes I spied out loads of nilgai and blackbuck, water buffalo, Indian rhino, wild pigs, even a peacock at the water's edge. I didn't manage to see any chital, but I bet they are in there somewhere (chousingha would be neat as well). There's a hoopoe at one point. The primates are mostly lion-tailed macaques, gibbons, hanuman langurs and I guess rhesus macaques. Some of them looked more like pig-tailed macaques. May be my imagination but some of the langurs looked like golden langurs, which is cool if so.

13. Elephas Maximus

Another upcoming movie (Jungle Book: Origins) has not escaped feministic influence, since Kaa here is also female, voiced by Cate Blanchett.

14. Elephas Maximus

Just watched, who else?

15. ThylacineAlive

It's not out in America yet. It releases on the 15th.

16. Elephas Maximus

Then I should add to the hype...
    A number of cool small species were spotted, such as Indian roofed turtle, Indian gray mongoose, some species of palm civet, somewhat jerboa (looks like long-eared), Indian pangolin, pygmy hog and giant flying squirrel.
    Biology fails: birds cleaning croc teeth, and cuckoo chick begging for food with adult's call.

17. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pretty good if you only saw two fails!

18. Elephas Maximus

Another fail (or tall talk): Baloo says that he must eat a daily amount of food equal to his weight prior to hibernation.
    Also, must say that most animals are terribly oversized.
    At one shot, Mowgli stays next to upright lion-tailed macaque and is shorter than the monkey! A 7 year old boy should be more than 1 meter tall.

19. Loxodonta Cobra

Mowgli's ten. And if you are raised by wolves, let alone raised alone with no human parental figure in a third-world country, you're going to have halting in human growth.

20. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Or you could just realize this is all a story and meant to be fantasy;):p