Join our zoo community

The Kaiju Thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Yi Qi, 6 Feb 2019.

1. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I don't know if there's a thread for kaiju/giant monster movies, so I decided to make one, where can discuss kaiju movies and make our own.

I'm not the only one to notice, but there's been a bit of an uptick in giant monster movies since Gareth Edwards' Godzilla, the most recent ones (or at least the most high-profile) being Rampage and The Meg. Between them, i'd pick Rampage; The Meg was generally a soulless shark movie, though the climax where the megalodon is defeated by sharks was pretty cool; Rampage on the other hand at least was more creative and had deeper themes to it, though still not the greatest.

Personally i'm psyched for Godzilla: King of the Monsters. The visuals look great, the action and cinematography look good, and the acting doesn't seem half bad. Now for speculation:
    • I think that given Michael Dougherty's previous works, I won't be surprised if it turns out the titans/MUTOs/kaiju turn out to be overtly supernatural in nature, hence why they're able to defy the laws of physics
    • My headcanon is that Rodan is a dinosaur rather then a pterosaur due to his head shape and talons
    I've also got several ideas for kaiju movies in my head and online. Among them are:
    • An adaptation of A Christmas Carol that replaces the ghosts with kaiju, creatively called A Kaiju Christmas Carol (see and read it here: A Kaiju Christmas Carol)
    • The Monster That Hollywood Ate - A satirical Robert Zemeckis movie replacing Death Becomes Her from an alternate history about four news companies that scramble to cover a giant crab-like kaiju after it attacks a Monterey Bay town.
    • Dawgs - Another satirical kaiju movie mocking society's treatment of black/latino people and to a lesser extent pit bull dogs (also see here Dawgs).

2. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I want Ebirah to be a good guy FOR ONCE!

3. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would like the kaiju to get more screen time.

TheMightyOrca and Ebirah766 like this.
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

SpinyLiving and Yi Qi like this.
  5. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

No, that honour in my opinion goes to Beaster Day: Here Comes Peter Cottontail. The cinematography and attempts at humour flat as a pancake, the acting's bland, and the puppet FX are jerky and inspired, having no weight to it (and not even in an Uncanny Valley way). Which is a shame, as I kind of like the Monster's design, particularly the head:

[​IMG]

6. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Back in my ute, when I was in college I made a super 8 movie called
    The Creature that Ate Gillette (Gillette was then a woman's dorm at the University of Missouri) It was actually pretty famous in its time and featured extensive special effects like ketchup for blood, hot wheel cars, and a giant paper mache claw. It was about an iguana (mine) that ate some radioactive
    food (University of Missouri has its own nuclear reactor) and grew to tremendous size and ran amok.

Ebirah766 and Yi Qi like this.
  7. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

@Daktari JG Sounds really cool. Do you have any stills of it?

8. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I too am a big fan of kaiju. I really like both The Meg and Rampage (While I wouldn't call The Meg a "soulless shark movie" I too did prefer Rampage (Lizzie's introduction was my favorite part)). And I too am super excited for Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Perhaps even more excited than I am for Endgame, and that's saying something). I can't freaking wait till May, and then in 2020 (when a God will fight a King).
    That sounds pretty cool.

9. Daktari JG

LOL no stills

10. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I am too. Never was much of a Marvel fan outside of Black Panther.

So anyway, who here has seen more then one Godzilla movie, and which are your favourite? So far, I've only seen Godzilla vs. Gigan and Kong: Skull Island.

11. Hipporex

I've only seen Godzilla (2014) and Godzilla (1998) (and Kong: Skull Island (2017) if that counts)

12. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have seen all of the godzilla movies, but I think the best is the first godzilla movie, 1985 godzilla or king ghidorah's first film.

13. Hipporex

I had a weird dream last night and I'm like ninety-nine percent sure it's because I read this thread. In it I was an astronaut and I arrived on another planet were the aliens were really tiny so relative to them I was like Godzilla-sized. The dream basically involved me going through there city and wrecking everything. So basically I had a dream were I was the kaiju.

14. Daktari JG

15. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

16. Hipporex

Ebirah766 and Yi Qi like this.
  17. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Toho hasn't made made a sauropod kaiju yet. Just imagine the potential.

In other news, a new Godzilla: King of the Monsters trailer (technically a TV spot) called Beautiful, which is an apt description of the whole film - seriously, every shot is simply poster-worthy in all the right ways (and this came from a guy who for most of his career mediocre comedies), though one with Ghidorah (whose suitably built up to be the devil) and a crucifix in the foreground is a little too ridiculous even for me.

Discuss at your own pace.

18. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

First look at Burning Godzilla guys!

19. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Ebirah766 likes this.
  20. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Last night I watched Godzilla (2014) to start prepping myself for Godzilla: King of the Monsters. It was really good, with some great cinematography and sound design, and made a wise choice to avoid Bayformers' pitfalls by delaying most of the action until the end. I did feel Aaron Taylor-Johnson's acting was a little flat and unmemorable though, especially compared to Bryan Craston's Joe Brody, who gave some amazing takes full of raw emotion. Not only that, I feel like the "scientific arrogance" that pops up on the marketing doesn't come in to play. I'd probably include your usual corrupt CEO/rogue general to make this more apparent. 7.9/10 for me.

Last edited: 6 May 2019