Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza The kingdom of Ganesh: opens 2009

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by forumbully, 10 Mar 2009.

1. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

anymore female elephants scheduled to arrive in the future?

2. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

they want a real herd, so yes, more animals will come.

but I'm not allowed to give you any more details...
    ;)

3. dragon(ele)nerd

thanks... but darn! left me hanging (what a bully!);)

4. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member

Are the two from the circus only on temporary loan or permanently? I just can`t imagine that Knie is giving them up, although I hope it.

5. forumbully

They're not on loan. they'll stay in paradisio

6. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

That is happend last weekend, with the 26 years old Warwar. ;) :)

Back about para:
    Are they going to give shows or presentations with them? Since they are ex-circus elephants, that would not be a big adjustment i think... :cool:

7. forumbully

this page, 6 posts up ...

8. Gorilla Gust

That way, my fault. I thougt you were speaking of the animals there previous "work", the circus itself.
    Sow it is only with the Circus elephants that they are planning (or doing already) to use close contact with the public?

9. forumbully

Do you think it would be a smart move to walk around a crowded park with a mature bull like Alexander?

Or with any other elephants that aren't used to hands on contact?

10. Gorilla Gust

No, that would be a very bad move. that's obivous... :rolleyes:

But there is never been said which elephants exactly are coming to paradisio later on. Sow everything was possible, even workelephants, etc... Since they now had choosen for circuselephants, almost everything seems possible. For them that haven't details. ;)

But ok, it was just a question. Because you can"t find easily park with an handson approach, and where there is close peoplecontac, in the benelux. Or maybe just the circus-Zoo Harry Malter park. (example, there they do walk aroudn with african elephants in the Zoo, not with a bull. But just for the example. You are saying that walking around with Alexander is not a good idea. Are you now suggesting that the two circus elephants would go around in the park itself? :) ). And it can be interesting. Even i had to confess that... :eek:

Is there a reason why Paradisio is staying with "hands on" for the circus elephants. In the past there are elephants switched from "hands on" to the safer "hands off". Sow i find it strange that paradisio doest not try that (for now then). Safetiy first? Or is it easier not to switch the method for these animals?

I don"t know what Paradisio thinks... ;)

11. forumbully

And in germany you hardly find anything else (just to name a few: hannover, hamburg, wuppertal, krefeld, ...)

I'm pretty sure you've seen pictures of that on your own forum, so don't tiptoe around it :p

But yes, last sunday the elephants took a short walk in the park (of about 200meters and back). I don't know if this is going to be routine. I guess not, because during holidays this will be a big risk to visitors.

12. Gorilla Gust

Sorry, i see it also now. :eek:
    I did"t noticed that it was outside the exhibit, when i finaly see the exhibit (and ganesh) meself, i can"t make such faults anymore. ;)

A good point, but i think it is a seperate discussiun. It is absurd that one country next to another has different manners/rules about animals. But back ontopic with this whole thing. :)

What is the best month to visit the park without running into a lot of visitors?

Last edited: 7 Apr 2009
  13. dragon(ele)nerd

This overall is so cool, a new elephant herd in an amazing exhibit like this. I as well am quite surprised that circus Knie gave up two of their elephants. Though zurich did recieve Indy from them, only because though that she was a misbehaving elephant and Zurich needed another breeding cow.
    When do they hope to get the herd fully established? I roughly predict perhaps Claudy will be the matriach?

14. forumbully

@ dragon (ele)nerd: I roughly know which animals are coming.
    but regarding time, that's for everyone a shot in the dark, including paradisio.

Regarding Knie giving up these elephants: basically they had no use for it. mother and daughter don't want to be separated and this was problematic during performances. the reason why they didn't perform anymore.

@ G. Gust: well, I'd advice you to wait untill the official opening of ganesh, so you can see the entire zone. opening is scheduled around 15th of may. and avoid summermonths, so go may, june, or september. then you'll have the best of wheather (hopefully, we do live in belgium after all) and not the summer rush all zoos know.

oh, and of course I don't have to tell you that weekdays are always quiter than weekends.

15. dragon(ele)nerd

Sandry in particular must of been quite close with Claudi than her other calves. Was she distressed at all when Lohimi died or when Boy was transferred?

16. forumbully

Absolutely no idea ;)
    I'm not the elephant man (and that includes the movie character)
    I just happen to know something about these 2, because I have very good contacts with paradisio.

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

I appreciate to hear in good time!

Regarding the Knie performing elephants: 2 other young females are present in the current Knie Circus herd which - by my own reckoning - would benefit from being sent out on breeding loan. I would still advocate that Circus Knie establish a breeding project of its own - both for the benefit of performing elephants and the benefit of European population management (to the latter Circus Knie has been somewhat cooperative).

SIM: This comment might form the basis of a new thread in the Swiss section!!! ;)

18. dragon(ele)nerd

I couldn't agree more Sabu, Rani and Mapalay would be great to have in the herd for breeding. But since their young must be why the circus wants to keep them and have them preform. They must be quite well behaved as well. I believe Indy also came with Mapalay and them Rani and Sabu came with each other, but got sent to zurich after she was found to have a mild temperament.

19. forumbully

something on the hornbills I hadn't posted yet.

there's some doubt on which species will be displayed in Ganesh, because the ones at the oasis have started to nest.

it's even possible a new species for the park will be kept in Ganesh.

regarding the elephants: not much news. there's no time set for alexander or any of the other animals as far as I know.

regarding the king cobra: he's still in England but will hopefully arrive in the park before the official opening of ganesh mid may.

20. dragon(ele)nerd

Thanks for the news, once I see photos of the completed complex I'm sure it will become one of if not my favourite exhibits of zoos in the world.