Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza The kingdom of Ganesh: opens 2009

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by forumbully, 10 Mar 2009.

1. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

Alexander was supposed to stay longer in Amersfoort (NL) according to the rumors...

2. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

yeps, I posted those, on this very same forum
    :p

3. Gorilla Gust

Yes, but i posted it anyway for two reasons. One is that Alexander already has mate with WarWar at this moment. And the second reason is that he is (according to that rumors) is going to stay longer in Amersfoort Zoo than original was planned for now.

But you have a fact, he is supposed to do the same thing still, and there is still not a date. So there isn't anything news... So read quickly further to something interesting... :D

4. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Looks like he just keeps on getting out of retirement, at first his plan was to go to Antwerp then go to sevilla to be the patriach of the bachelor herd, then he went to aemrsfoort orignally he was just going to stay there for a short period of time then go to Sevilla. Now he'll spend more time at Amersfoort then go to Parc Paridiso.

5. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We`ll see if he will go to Paradisio at all - I can`t imagine that the Rotterdam Zoo is very happy about the free conztact/circus training that is going on in Paradisio.

6. forumbully

if he wouldn't come to paradisio, than it's for a totally different reason than the hands on-keeping.

I'm not saying blijdorp, as the EEP keeper, is thrilled about it. but they've visited paradisio multiple times regarding the elephant enclosure, the way of keeping etc. So they knew what the parks plans were, before the decision of sending alex there was made.

btw, the paradisio elephant keeper is an ex-Blijdorp employee. he's the one that worked with the elephants in the period they moved from the old exhibit to taman indah.

7. Gorilla Gust

I have been there, and here are some pics for you guys.

[​IMG]
    The Knie elephants during a demo.

[​IMG]
    Exhibit 1

[​IMG]
    Exhibit 2, where they were drinking at this moment for a while. They stand mostly in exhibit 1, next to the emergusboat

PS: the macaques exhibit is pretty nice, i am curious to the vieuw then we can have from the top later on.

8. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks Gorilla Gust. Now you have wet the appetite on this thread. That has always annoyed me. As It never seemed to open:p

Need more pictures pleeeease

9. forumbully

last I heard this should be may 18th, allthough this seems a strange date (it's a monday). It's not official, so as soon as I get confirmation (or another official date), I'll let you guys know.

meanwhile they're doing a lot of replanting. the harsh winter has cost several palmtrees and other plants.
    Ganesh will also open with a few non-asian inhabitants. this due to the fact that paradisio wants to show them, but their final exhibit isn't ready (the next big project)

Oh, another thing, Alexander won't be coming for the first couple of years (if ever, if were talking about such a long period). He'll be staying in Amersfoort. apparently there are some bulls switching between several european zoos and amerrsfoort bull Sammy won't be coming "home".

10. dragon(ele)nerd

Thanks for the photos gorilla gust.

yeah it's a bit a shame in the sense that Alexander won't come any time soon. Thought that all the females would be pregnant and sammy would go back home since Timber has proven himself the breeding bull at Rotterdam.

What other elephants are coming?

11. forumbully

Sammy is moving to another zoo, so he won't stay in rotterdam.

can't tell you anything about other elephants coming to paradisio.
    but I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure they'll get a bull...

12. Gorilla Gust

13. dragon(ele)nerd

Budapest zoo???

14. forumbully

I believe so, allthough, again, I'm not the elephant man.
    probably someone who is, will know for sure.

15. Yassa

Why are you asking this here again? You know perfectly well from the Rotterdam topic that Marjo Hoemaker from Amersfoort has announced Sammy will go to Budapest. Do you really think anyone here will have better information about Sammy`s whereabouts then the Amersfoort zoo itself?

16. dragon(ele)nerd

wow, sorry,

From what I know the post, it was posted by Gorilla Gust, who is located in Belgium, I didn't know it was posted by an Amersfoort zoo keeper. Just wanted to confirm here.

17. Yassa

It was not posted by an Amersfoort keeper, Gorilla Gust posted information released by the Amersfoort zoo, if you read her post.

18. dragon(ele)nerd

Well, sorry I was unaware of that post, as far as I know the first time I knew of a chance that Sammy will move to Budapest was from Gorilla Gust's post.

19. Gorilla Gust

I posted the headlines of an article of Marjo Hoemaker from Amersfoort here with that information. I think that Marjo knows it the best at this moment. So far as i know there are no zookeepers of Amersfoort itself that posted here about this. About the other elephant that is going to move with Sammy to budapest, i will tell you later on, in the Emmen topic...

For the record, you can call me "he" instead of "her" :D

edit:
    Back to paradisio? and perhaps one topic about the elephants itself? It is been told in many topics now (emmen-Blijdorp-Paradisio, and could stand in Amersfoort also)

20. forumbully

Do we have to? I kinda like the idea of "gorilla gusta"
    :D

bus seriously. so you visited this "little birdpark" last week?
    general impression after your last visit?