Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza The kingdom of Ganesh: opens 2009

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by forumbully, 10 Mar 2009.

1. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

story....

It is the worst birdpark ever, with a language that i didn't understand, i will never go there again... It is a crowed place with only birds...

Ok, so far i fulfill your expectations i think.
    So now a real description of my day there. :D

The Park itself is now at this moment at his best to my opinion. Not to many visitors (one of my big disappointments of two years back), only a army of schoolyoungsters that visited the park. If you can stand the noise of them, or wait a minute (longer they don't need to look at an animal, i sometimes ask myself why they visit a zoo...)

My other setback of last time was that they could"t understand the Dutch language there. (belgium has 3 languages, Dutch, French, German, but the official languages are mostly Dutch and French) Now they did understand us clearly at the register and the entry of the park. The only 'part' of the staff that we encountered that speaked no Dutch at all was in the restaurants. Lucky i speak a few words french (with a massive accent), but i get whatever i wanted. For my only Dutch speaking girlfriend (from Holland) it was not easy to order something, so i have to help. But that is not something i blaim on the adress of Paradisio. It is more a situation that has been born out of the belgian politics.

Some peoply don't like the road the Paradisio, but it is not a really bad road in that part of Belgium to my opion. I have seen much worser, so that is also not a setback for me...

So what dissapointment i still have, and is really something from Paradisio? That is one fact about the monkey's there. About Madidi and Nosy Komba part. I still see a lot of visitors take up the animals, and only one zookeeper around the islands. I am more for the approuch like in Apenheul or Gaia in this case, if the animals are to much focussed on humans. Then the animals get back more to be an animal. But that is a complety other discussion, just like with the handson approuch of Elephants. Maybe a disscusion for later or an other topic. But i am not a fan of it.

So far the status about my major setbacks i had about Paradisio. It is still a fact that i wouldn't visit the park whenever it is croudy, that is not worth it, you miss to much then. And the language is still a bit annoying, but that has other reasons to me like explained. So endconclusion about the bad things? ----> Only about the contact with animals i am still not happy.

Further?

The threes and the flowers are nice now. The look of the park also.
    From far Ganesh looks good and it is an eyecather.

The new exhibits for the elephants are not ready i think, so i will not give a opion about that (that is the most fair i think).

But what is done in Ganesh looks good. The Cows (which species where it again?) looks to have a giant exhibit, while it is much smaller, but enough for the animals. So that is a great job. The Maquaqes are beautifull in there exhibit. But a look from above (like they are building now) is needed to a full vieuw of them.

And a lot of birds, but that is obviously :D

And it stays a park that is big thanks his rich nature. There for you can spend easily a day there. I you like the nature offcourse. ;) I think if you would put the animals of Paradisio in a stereotype cityzoo, it would not even be a big zoo. But that is a good point i think.

Ow, the new guide looks good also.
    Did't isn"t work of artist Frank Pe like it would be first i think?

PS: i hope i did't make to many mistakes in my text here, i did't typed so much in one post untill now... :eek:

2. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

the cows are asian waterbuffalo.

the monkeys and elephants, I partly agree. in regard to the elephants, it's cool to see an animal like that up close with hardly any restrains. but it's completely the opposite of what zoos try to achieve.
    the close contact with the monkeys is great for the people and in general not to bad for the animals wellbeing. but 1 supervisor is not enough for these islands. animals are fed candy, chased, ...

Frank pé did some early designs for ganesh, but he didn't participate in the book.

oh, and you're right about crowded days, but I think that goes for almost all zoos.

3. forumbully

the official opening is the 18th of may.

4. forumbully

the Kingdom of Ganesha: official inauguration

Last night, after 3 years of construction, "Ganesha" was (finally) inaugurated.

After opening hours there was a big ceremony hosted by paradisio owner Eric Domb, the Indonesian ambassador, the Indonesian minister of tourism and culture and his Wallonian (the french part of Belgium) counterpart.

And of course we were invited too :cool:

We all gathered at the main gates of the park at 18.30 and had a walk through the rose garden and down the big garden stairs to the "kingdom of Ganesha".

Here, we got the traditional speeches by Eric Domb, the ambassador and the ministers. after that, there was the signing of the official plaque and the ribbon cutting.

The ribbon was "cut" by 2 very beautiful ladies...
    [​IMG]

Then we got the grand tour of the balinese garden.
    A visit to the elephant bath, where the elephants made their second appearance accompanied by a group of balinese dancers. All visitiors were given the chance of feeding the elephants some fruits and vegetables.

We continued towards the temples where there were traditional dances and percussion on the "gamelan" (a traditional Indonesian orchestra), led by the Indonesian minister of culture himself!!!

Then it was time to see the rest of the animals housed in Ganesha: the small clawed otters have gotten a huge enclosure next to the flower temple as do the meerkats. I know these are african, but until the savannah project is finished, they are displayed here. later on, some asian mongoose should come.

a little further we find 3 aviaries with papua hornbills, bali starlings and padda birds. Here we also find the indian porcupines (1 of which is sponsored by us, zoosite) and another non asian species, the armadillo. in time, these animals too, will receive another spot in the park and be replaced by asian animals.

We continue our tour along the macaques and the toilets. generally these last are not worth mentioning, but trust me, these toilets are!

Now it's time for a visit of a traditional timor village and a walk through the cave where we find a lot of education on Indonesian history and culture like funeral rites and even head hunting.

We end the tour where we started it. at the foot of the stairs next to the rice fields and waterbuffalo.

After this unique view of Paradisios Balinese garden, it's time for "dinner and a show".
    dinner: several stands with Italian, Belgian and of course indonesian foods.
    show: traditional Indonesian dances performed by a group that flew in from Indonesia for the occasion.

As soon as we've shifted through the pictures, I'll post some here.
    EDIT: not our own photos, but our zoosite collegue and professional photographer has put hers online already: http://www.imaginations.nl

Last edited: 21 May 2009
  5. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

nice review! I haven't realised how big Sandry has grown! The Gamelan would of been neat, seen and heard one once it's really cool! it feels like some sort of magic taking over... it's quite strange as well as awesome.

6. forumbully

I wanted to edit my report on the opening of "ganesha" to add some pics, but apparently I'm no longer able to?

7. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Then why not upload them to the gallery? I am sure that we would all enjoy that:)

8. forumbully

because I'm lazy. :p

no seriously, they'e my girlfriends pics and she has uploaded them to her picasa account. and I find it a bit stupid to have the same pics uploaded twice.

In addition: regardless in which gallery you put your pics. I find it always spices up a report to put a few of them in it.
    hence the question why I was unable to edit my report

9. forumbully

it's been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but here he is in all his glory:

the one, the only
    SAMMY
    [​IMG]

recently a new container with decorative fences and stuff has arrived from indonesia. part of it is already in place

[​IMG]

10. dragon(ele)nerd

, hey thanks. I don't know why but sammy feels so fitting at Parc Paridiso.

11. forumbully

the contact with the females seems to prove your idea.
    I heard that later that day, they were all on the male paddock and it went great.

also, in the stables, they're able to make contact and there too, the interest in each other was remarkable.

who knows, maybe he'll learn ...

12. dragon(ele)nerd

neat, a baby on the way perhaps, of course the wait will be very long!