Join our zoo community

The Languages Thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by lowland anoa, 17 Sep 2016.

1. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member

Well, after learning languages, I decided to make a thread devoted to the discussion of languages. You can say what languages you know, say what's the language that is easy or hard to learn, say phrases in another languages and translate them. You could even bring up your native tongue, for example you're from Barcelona and talk about Spanish and Catalan. If you think learning languages is fun, then this thread is for you to enjoy and learn new languages!

I know -
    French - about 30-40% fluent
    Spanish - 32% fluent
    Portuguese - 24% fluent
    Italian - 13% fluent
    Polish - 2% fluent
    English - First language

Don't worry if you think it is impossible to learn a specific language for example, it is hard to learn Italian because of all the pronouns. (Italian is the world's second closest language to Latin, after Sardinian) then one of our members can help you on how to learn languages, or learn from the Internet's best language-learning website:
    https://www.duolingo.com/

EDIT: I think being passionate about a subject is in my genes, my sister is passionate about star signs and I'm passionate about languages!

Last edited: 17 Sep 2016
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Three points:

1) How on earth can you be so precise as to say you are 2% fluent in Polish and 13% fluent in Italian, yet you can give only a 10% range for how fluent you are in French?
    2) Were you trying to invent figures which added up to 100% perchance? If so, you miscounted as the total you gave adds up to 101% or 111% depending on which French figure one goes with.
    3) You are 0% fluent in English then? :p

3. lowland anoa

1) Have you tried Duolingo? And I can only estimate as I only learn French in school, and not on Duolingo

2)Nope :p

3)Oh, forgot that, I'll edit it after posting.

4. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I'll admit to using Duolingo the last few days. It's become rather addicting. It does give you a percentage, but take that with a grain of salt. It says I'm 2% fluent in Spanish, but I've had conversations in Spanish in the past with native speakers.

5. lowland anoa

Duolingo has taken over my life, today and yesterday I focused on it with breaks when necessary. Duolingo does not makes you 100% fluent, but about 60-65%

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand how you can be "fluent" in any language at something like 2% or even 40%. Does that mean you're fluent when saying specific sentences? It doesn't make any sense. You're either fluent in speaking a language or you're not.

7. lowland anoa

Seeing as Italian is close to Latin, now I understand how it is easy to learn the Romance language family. If the Romance languages are easy to learn, the first language that a person will learn is French, as it is literally the easiest language to learn

Romance Languages:
    Latin
    Sardinian
    Italian
    Spanish
    French
    Portuguese
    Romanian

8. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Интерестинг тхреад - do you know what these letters will create when typped on latin :p - Interesting thread (the first are cyrilic letters - Macedonian (my mother tongue)), but on Macedonian would be: Интересна тема.

Zoological Society of London: Зоолошко здружение на Лондон :p
    France: Франција
    Scotland: Шкотска
    United Kingdom: Обединетото Кралство
    Great Britain: Велика Британија

9. Chlidonias

great, now I'm 1% fluent in Macedonian!

10. Nikola Chavkosk

:p :p

Chlidonias from New Zealand: Хлидонијас од Нов Зеланд :p

11. lowland anoa

When you say hello, but using your voice or to greet someone, it is the same as the other Balkan languages - Zdravo, the only exempt is Albanian, they say Përshëndetje and Romanian - Buna! Romanian is not in the Slavic language family, instead it is in the Romance family. If you speak Macedonian, then it is easy for you to learn Russian and Polish as they are also in the Slavic. I would also add Czech and Slovakian, they are also in the Slavic family!

12. lowland anoa

Интерестинг тхреад - this translates from Serbian - Interesting thread.

13. Nikola Chavkosk

Yes, indeed most similar languages to Macedonian, are Serbian and Bulgarian. Zdravo is the right word for hello yes.
    What about Greek - it is also Balkan language, but in it's own family, and first in Europe, I think. Macedonian is the most Southern Slavic language.

From Slavic languages, Polish is the language that I find least similar to Macedonian. I can understand quite Russian, but almost not at all Polish.

14. lowland anoa

Czech, Slovakian and Polish make up the sub-family dubbed Eastern Slavic, basically all the Eastern Slavic languages are different than Southern and Western.

15. Nikola Chavkosk

And there are some researches that show that Basque language is most distant from all European, and it is the oldest, and that even is speculated that majority of Basque people carry strange allien genes (not originated on Earth :) ) - not human genes, I read this. They have highest prevalence of Rh factor-negative blood type.

16. lowland anoa

And the Greeks say Χαίρετε for hello. What a interesting way of saying hello. Chaírete is used for talking

17. Chlidonias

there's an article here about their origins (and for you, also, about aliens in the comments section...):
    https://www.sott.net/article/301357-Basque-origins-mystery-solved-by-ancient-DNA

18. Chlidonias

wow, just scrolling down the list of hits for Googling "Basque people aliens"... there are a lot of idiots in the world.

19. Nikola Chavkosk

20. Chlidonias

so, moving onto page two of this thread, how many languages are you fluent in now?