Join our zoo community

The Languages Thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by lowland anoa, 17 Sep 2016.

1. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am able to speak:
    English: Fluent (according to Duolingo)
    Dutch: Fluent (according to Duolingo)
    Norwegian: Fluent
    German: Almost fluent (according to Duolingo)
    Spanish: Conversational (according to Duolingo)

Unfortunately, I have forgotten all of the Malay and Mandarin (and some French) I learned in Brunei, but then I gained Norwegian and Spanish from moving to Norway.
    I am able to speak English and Dutch fluently because those are the countries I come from (I am half Dutch and half English) and I was able to pick up German and Norwegian fairly quickly because they are similar to Dutch (especially German). Plus I have been in Norway for a good number of years and I learn it 3 times a week and speak it in public.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2017
  2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Fluent English, and can just about understand Spanish if it is spoken slowly. Have been learning German, Dutch and a bunch of other languages on Duolingo on and off for a while now, as well as brushing up on my Spanish.

Also had a year worth of Arabic lessons at work (Gulf dialect mainly, but as our teacher was Palestinian we learnt some of that dialect too), but I was pretty awful at it. I can have a good go at reading it, but that doesn't always mean I know what it actually says, and I can understand some spoken words. The most complicated sentence I could string together was 'The chicken is under the table', but I've since forgotten the word for 'under' so I can't even say that any more :rolleyes:

3. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am fluent English. I can speak basic Welsh and very little bit of Spanish and French.

4. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm fluent in English and Spanish. I can understand and read some Italian, Portuguese, and French due to their similarities to Spanish.

5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can speak English,Cantonese and Mandarin.

6. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Um, my first language is Vietnamese, and am both fluent in English and Vietnamese.

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 May 2018
  7. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I'll play.

I speak English (American) and a fair amount of French. I wouldn't claim any sort of proficiency, but I get by. I'm better at reading. I could be fluent, but the chances to practice are few and far between.

I picked up some Malagasy -- basic greetings, etc. -- but I do want to gain some proficiency in Hindi eventually.

8. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I know English and Amharic (those being my stronger languages)

French I know a little bit but so far all of it came from high school and BYU.

9. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

I'm fluent in English and Spanish, but I can say some phares in German and Mandarin, and some word's in Swahili

10. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fluent English and French, decent German and tiny bit of Chinese. Used to know a decent amount of Latin as well as Ancient and Modern Greek but all but gone now unfortunately but either way the two dead ones hardly count.

HungarianBison likes this.
  11. Platypusboy

Platypusboy Well-Known Member

I’m fluent in English and Finnish and know some Swedish (enough to get by)

12. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know no one asked me but I know English and Turkish. I had German class from middle school until my last school year but I sucked at it. I also tried learning Japanese but forgot most of what I learned because I procrastinated a lot. Same procrastination is the reason why I stopped learning Dutch through Duolingo. Per Florida's secondary education requirements I had to take Spanish for two semesters. But once my college found out that I took most of my education in Turkish I was relieved form the need to take Spanish class for a second semester.

13. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

I’m fluent in English and Spanish, and also know a good bit of French as well. I also understand Italian to an extent.

14. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The only language I would call myself truly fluent in is Dutch, my native language.

I have a good knowledge of English in terms of reading, writing, speaking and animal names, but I wouldn't call myself truly fluent in English as there are still some marked differences with Dutch.

I can understand French relatively well when reading or listening to it, but I was never good at French back in school and I don't think I can manage more than basic conversations in French.

I understand German and Spanish to an extent when reading or listening, but cannot do conservations in those languages.

I used to know Latin and Ancient Greek, but those are dead languages anyway and almost a decade and a half post-high school that knowledge is largely dead now, aside from certain terms that occur in for example scientific names or terms.

15. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Fluent English, passable? Mandarin, and then barely any cantonese and probably by now non-existent shanghaiense.

16. Youssarian

Youssarian Well-Known Member

Fluent in English, I can get by in German, and I am a beginner studying Hawaiian. I studied Mandarin in high school, but have forgotten most of it.

17. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recognition:D

18. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

Fluent in Swedish of course :rolleyes:
    Norwegian is very similar so it's easy for me to understand.
    Pretty fluent in russian,probably around 75%.
    Ukrainian and belarusian are similar to russian so I can understand them almost as good.
    English probably around 85%.

Platypusboy likes this.