Join our zoo community

Taronga Western Plains Zoo the latest controversy-canned hunts

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jay, 6 Aug 2009.

1. Dave

Dave Member

I think it's amazing the level of pathetic involvement and conviction these politicians have. They want to cry foul at breeding for supervised, licensed and audited hunting purposes.

If they think this is such a horror how about they get off their back sides and stop the widespread animal exploitation in most Asia! Go eradicate the bears getting bile siphoned in cages. Wipe out the trade in illegal animal trafficking. The selling of animal parts for down right retarded beliefs.

Politicians on the most part are just a waste of air.

2. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

well now hold on - i think the point was that these animals were not bred for these purposes. but instead under the guise of very a different purpose.

i personally don't think that the outspoken attitude of a certain greens senator does the party any favours - but since the zoo is a public funded, its very much the right and responsibility of state politicians to speak on matters relating to the management of our institutions.

if the australian museum acquired artifacts in an unethical and dubious manner wouldn't we expect our politicians to raise the issue?

regardless of what they say - politicians very much have a right to comment.

3. Dave

Dave Member

Hear what you're saying Phoenix. I'm not much of a grey thinker really. Just on the scheme of things comments like the following are minimal and just expelled gas.

"The minister responsible for the zoo, Carmel Tebbutt, <snip> said it would include ''what further animal welfare protections should be put in place …"

I know there are portfolios in government but pollies can't even manage children's welfare let alone demand what animal protection plans are in place.

There are bigger issues to address and on a scale of 100 most politicians rate below 20 in thinking wider than one subject at a time.

4. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

yep. for the record i think its hypocritical or naive at best to turn ones nose up at hunting, be it even canned.

i do however, think it is foolish of zoo management to assume that people don't think this way anyway. thus, it was a very stupid decision to sell animals to this individual.