Join our zoo community

The Lion King 2019

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 22 Nov 2018.

1. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Trailer dropped today

Thoughts?

2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looks cool. I’ll definitely be seing it when it comed out next year. Seems like an exciting movie and the animation is great!

3. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am so exited for this movie! I have been waiting so long!

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not sure whether I should be happy or sad that the great movie from my childhood gets a remake....

With all the effort they put into the Jungle Book animals, to have only animals from SE Asia, I am a bit annoyed they just copied an Indian rhino into the Lion King.....

5. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh wow you're right. I didn't catch that. I do agree that for animals nerds like over-selves something like that could be a bit annoying. I excited regardless though

6. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, after Disney destroyed the wonderful, with love drawn movie Jungle Book with a soulless computer replica (and a panther in the size of a Siberian Tiger), it really doesn't matter if they do it with "The Lion King" too.... (just sad).

HungarianBison, Batto and lintworm like this.
  7. CloudPardus

CloudPardus Well-Known Member

Heard that the Indian rhino might be an easter egg for the Jungle Book or a placeholder....i hope it's just a placeholder and they change it to the African species (Black or White Rhinoceros) in the final product

8. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm really excited to watch this movie! Can we also take a moment to rejoice that our Queen Bee is in this movie? ;)

9. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I presume you're referring to the pop singer beyonce? The fact she and others like her are in the film is the worst part about it for me. Those that get into these films through fame rather than through voice acting talent.

SpinyLiving and Batto like this.
  10. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is blatant viral advertising of Disney allowed on zooforum? At least the website should get some money from ads.

The movie itself looks exactly like the BBC film "Pride". It mixed close-ups of wild lions (a spinoff of BBC wildlife documentaries like Spy in the Den), tame lions and CGI. The result was a story of a pride of talking lions.
    Pride (2004 film) - Wikipedia

Kakapo likes this.
  11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Well she is famous for being a talented vocalist!

SpinyLiving and ZooBinh like this.
  12. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

She's not an actor though; a major factor. E.g. Tom Hanks, an actor, not a singer, and a very good voice actor.

If there are any singing sections of the film then have no problem with a very good singer doing those bits. However, I can't imagine live action Lion King will be as 'sing-y' as animated Lion King.

It just irks me that there must be so many talented, yet struggling, voice actors around that would love to land parts like these, but it goes to the uber famous, mega rich pop singer instead.

SpinyLiving and Batto like this.
  13. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

She has an amazing voice though, and remember, these people don't make it though fame, they make it through passing an audition.

14. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My main concern is with how they do the hyenas. The Lion King was my childhood favorite movie and might still be the most important movie to my personal life, but the hyena portrayal has been a constant source of annoyance. I'm tired of the "Noble Lion That Sits Perfectly With The Circle Of Life, Mangy Scavenging Lowly Hyena That Belongs In Hellfire" dynamic - although I get that it will probably still be in there. But I'm really tired of the "100 hyenas = 5 lionesses" fighting matchup, which is so warped as to be almost impossible to depict in live-action... I hope.

Like, I enjoy the villainous, opportunistic hyenas - I just don't want them to be shown as cowardly and weak and undersized. Most maligned animal in children's animation ever.

Jambo, WhistlingKite24 and Hipporex like this.
  15. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For various reasons, I'm neither thrilled by the teaser nor the movie itself; I see no point in this remake, other than Disney making more $$$ without actually creating something novel and original. I agree with Benosaurus' critique regarding said celebrity. And I'm pretty sure that this remake will age badly.

16. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Like how in these new live action remakes there was a darker plot part such as how Shere Kahn threw Akela off the cliff in Jungle Book (2016) and Gaston knocked out Belle's Father and tied her to a tree to be eaten by wolves in Beauty & the Beast (2017) perhaps for this one's darker spot we'll see Scar trying to to make Nala his Queen which would explain why in the animated version she appears out of nowhere far from Pride Rock. In a deleted scene he mentions that they'll have "little Scars".

17. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While I completely understand the frustration in her casting, I feel I must correct you in that Beyonce has indeed appeared in both movies (occasionally as the lead role) and TV shows in the past, including as a voice talent, so she's not exactly out of place here. I mean Donald Glover is not a voice actor but he is a musician as well as a live-action actor, so do you have issues with him voicing Simba?

I do agree that there are many talented voice actors that get pushed to the side in order for more famous actors/celebrities to lead the films, but I do understand why that is the case. The vast majority of these roles require a general acting skill, not a specific voice acting ability. Big famous names catch the audience's attention and increase interest in the film. This is nothing new, and the aforementioned Tom Hanks is an excellent example of this. Tom is not a voice actor, he is a good actor, and as such he was cast in Toy Story- his first voice acting role. Robin Williams is another example of this, with his first voice roles being FernGully and Aladdin, which released the same year. For the original Lion King itself we had Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, and the legend James Earl Jones. Aside from Jones' work as Darth Vader, The Lion King was their first voice acting role in film (not sure about TV tbh).

I agree that the casting of general actors and celebrities can be annoying and feel out of place at times (Scarlett Johansson as Kaa I thought was a bad choice) but I do understand why it's done and, the vast majority of the time, it works out very well. In this case I'm imagining she'll be singing Can You Feel The Love Tonight anyhow.

And as a side note, someone get that rhino some sunblock...

~Thylo

SpinyLiving, Jambo and ZooBinh like this.
  18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This movie is already starting to annoy me.

First if all, I don't really like that Disney is just remaking movies. The Jungle Book was good because of the story changes, but Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast were practically the same. If I wanted to see those movies, I would watch the originals. I imagine The Lion King will be the same (but if they go with the original darker story, I would happily eat my words).

Also, everyone is calling this movie "The live-action Lion King". It's not live action! It's realistic CG! :mad:

And the Indian Rhino. :mad:

SpinyLiving and Jambo like this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree that the shameless cash-grab of just creating live-action identical copies (with maybe an extra scene or two thrown in) of the animated films is extremely annoying and I hate it, too. I hope this film changes the story and isn't beat for beat the same film but we'll have to wait and see. The list of main characters on Wiki lists the same as the original film but also an unnamed elephant-shrew voiced by Amy Sedaris. I don't know if that suggests anything other than perhaps a similar scene to the pangolin one in Jungle Book.

This is an animated movie. It may be hyper-realistic but literally everything in this movie was made on a computer. The only aspect of The Jungle Book that makes it live-action is Mowgli, everything else was CGI.

But what exactly is the "original dark story" of The Lion King? Kimba the White Lion??

~Thylo

JVM likes this.
  20. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Originally, The Lion King had a different ending and a slightly darker plot. This video should explain the ending, as well as other dark original Disney plots: