Join our zoo community

The Lionman comes to Denmark

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Toddy, 25 Oct 2009.

1. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The (in)famous Lionman from New Zealand, Craig Busch, comes to Denmark in the period from October 23rd - 25th. During this time the public can meet him in Næstved Zoo in Denmark. For a price of 40 €/60 $/37 £ visitors can ask him questions and see him work with the two young tigers at Næstved Zoo.

I am sure that you all know very well who Craig Busch is so I will just give you some background information about Næstved Zoo:

Næstved Zoo opened in the summer of 2007 and is the only Danish equivilant of a "roadside zoo". It holds less than 25 species with the main attractions being the tigers. These tigers come from a private breeder and are golden tigers and white tigers. The other species are very common such as America bison, red-necked wallby, greater rhea, emu, mufflon sheep, fallow deer black-tufted marmoset and some domestic species.

The keeping of tigers in Næstved Zoo is the most controversial part of the "zoo". First of all the zoo advertises the white tiger as an "endangered subspecies". In 2008 the female golden tiger gave birth to two young cubs. Only one female survived and was taken away to be hand-reared. The owner, Peter Bo Rasmussen, did a horrible job at it and intentionally made the young tiger tame and used to human contact. He even walked it around the zoo in a leash allowing visitors to pet and play with it. In order to make money he set up so that people could pay 135 €/200 $/125 £ to sit and play with the tiger cub (now known as "Tinka") for 30 minutes.

In other words Næstved Zoo became a circus and loaded more ammunition in the guns of the people who wanted to close down all zoos. This lead to all the big zoos in Denmark publically condemning Næstved Zoo and its ways. Then the young tiger mysteriously dissapeared. The official story was that she had been injured while playing in her outdoor exhibit and had to be put to sleep. So either that is a bunch of crap or the owner doesn't have anything under control (or both).

In 2009 two new cubs were born and quickly taken from their mother. They are now suffering under the same circus-like living conditions as their predecessor. This roadside zoo can hardly be called a zoo and has nothing to do with either education or conservation.

And now Peter Bo Rasmussen's new buddy Craig Busch is in town and promoting the park to all the people who have seen him on TV here in Denmark. Næstved Zoo is even encouraging people to donate money to Craig Busch in order form him to have Zion back.

I am completely outraged and did consider the possibility of driving to Næstved and hit them both over the head with a shovel, but the decided that the jailtime woulden't be worth it...

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't know if you've seen the equivalent UK thread Toddy, but Mr Busch's UK tour (intended to link in with the Danish one, as I understand it) appears to have been scuppered by BIAZA, who asked Dartmoor (and presumably all its members) not to take part. Last report is he is having a couple of events where you can meet him, but with no zoo involvement.

Næstved does seem (from what you say here) to be the kind of place that would welcome Mr Busch's approach.

3. blackpanther

blackpanther Well-Known Member

thanks Toddy, i did wonder what type of zoo it was and why he would choose to go there, and you've just handed it to me on a plate

4. madbushfarm

madbushfarm Well-Known Member

I read some of the articles about the zoo in Denmark. It appears to have been very contraversial. As far as I am aware there is one trip and meet up planned in Scotland but nothing set for the UK as yet. From the fans point of view they will be disappointed if he does not go to the UK, on the other side of things if the Zoo Profession do not feel his methods fall in line with modern zoo practice then they are fully entitled to state their positions on this.

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Pssst... Scotland is part of the UK. ;)

(for now anyway - the Scottish government is run by the Scottish Nationalists at the moment so watch this space!)

Personally I was very please to see the visits called off.

6. madbushfarm

madbushfarm Well-Known Member

I stand ready to be bopped over the head for that one. I remember reading the news that Scotland had its own Parliament - I am sooo confused. You put me straight - my mistake thanks.:D

7. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

This zoo has had its share of controversies indeed. Half a year ago or so (don´t remember exactly) a formerly employed tiger keeper, apparently mentally disturbed, sneaked into the zoo at night, snuck into the tiger enclosure, set fire to it but was killed by the cats. Luckily the fire did not do much harm and the incident was only discovered in the morning.

8. condor

condor Well-Known Member

He was killed by smoke from the small fire he started. The tigers only 'played' with him afterwards. Initially it was reported that they ate some of him but they didn't. Tragic case because the man should have been in a mental hospital. I don't like Næstved Zoo and they have made many mistakes/bad choices but this is one case they really cant be blamed for.

In another bad case the owner of Næstved Zoo was recently charged for stealing some reptiles from some east European animal dealer but I don't think that case has been settled. Even if he didn't steal them one of them (Heloderma horridum charlesbogerti) is a very rare CITES I subspecies that probably was obtained illegally.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2009
  9. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Yes, what kind of zoo allows a mentally unstabile person formerly employed at the zoo to keep his keys to the place?

10. condor

condor Well-Known Member

They didn't. He stole them. As I said before: I don't like this zoo. But blame them for the things they really can be blamed for (there are plenty - as you described in your first post and I mentioned another example in end of my last post). Not things that could have happened at most zoos.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2009
  11. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

That is not how the story goes here. Might I ask where abouts you live and how you know so much about this story?

12. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Periodically I live in Denmark. The case was well coverd in the news and I never heard anywhere reporting that he had been allowed to keep his keys. If you know of such reports I would be interested in knowing about a source. All news I heard reported about the stolen key. I presume you can read Danish:

* jp.dk - Tidligere dyrepasser begik selvmord i tigerbur
    * TV 2 Krimi - Politi: Mand i zoo blev ikke ædt
    * Ritzau - Syg dyrepasser stjal nøgler til tigerbur

etc.

13. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

Thank you Toddy for an interesting insight. It sort of sums up 'Craig Busch' up in another two words 'Næstved Zoo'.

14. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of mouth Peter and that fact that Busch would be associated with such a place as Naestved speaks volumes.

15. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

New owners and new name for Næstved Zoo

Næstved Zoo now has new owner and now operate under a different name. The original owner and founder og Næstved Zoo, Peter Bo Rasmussen, has now finally declared personal bankrupcy after years of financial struggle for the zoo.

You may think that this would mean new times for the zoo but Næstved Children's Zoo, as it is now called, is now owned by... (hold your breath)... Anita Scheuermann who happens to also be Peter Bo Rasmussens wife. She has bought the zoo along with another employee of the zoo and Peter Bo Rasmussen will stay on as a "volunteer helper".

The new concept of Næstved Children's Zoo is to give children a chance to get close-up to domestic animals as well as provide other activities for the young ones. However, there is no mentioning of getting rid of the tigers.

16. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

You see exactly the same situation taking place in any number of businesses. I am surprised that there is not a law in place to prevent it. The bankrupt escapes paying off the cash he owes and yet, in effect, loses nothing.