Join our zoo community

The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens The Living Desert News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 5 May 2009.

1. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Three additional desert bighorn lambs have been born since.

In other news, the last two Cuvier’s gazelles have been shipped out. These were the last two individuals of this species on display in the country.

The zoo has also welcomed groups of ellipsen waterbuck, South African springbok, and great white pelicans in preparation for their new exhibit opening this fall.

Last edited: 14 May 2021
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where have the Cuvier's gazelle been shipped off to? Any information on age and sex at all? How many are left in the US at all right now?

3. Kudu21

It was a mother-son pair— I do not know the ages. All I know is that they were sent to a private facility. Larry Johnson maintains a herd, so possibly to his facility in Texas, but I do not know for sure. I am unsure of how many are left in the US beyond Larry Johnson’s herd and just that there are some around in the private sector.

Last edited: 14 May 2021
    ThylacineAlive and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you know what happened to the herd at the San Diego Zoo? I believe that is the only place I ever saw them, about five years back.

5. Kudu21

The breeding age animals were shipped out (most if not all ended up at Larry Johnson's place), and the older animals lived out the rest of their lives at the zoo.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is a real shame.

7. Kifaru Bwana

@Kudu21, I think you may be correct in your assumption the last 1.1 Cuvier's were transferred out to Larry Johnson's, an esteemed private rancher with a penchant for Sahelian and arid lands wildlife and his heart and money in the right place.

It is really sad to see AZA turn away from a good number of rare hoof stock that are far from secure in the wild. Cuvier's, red-fronted, Soemmerring's, Saudi goitred .... et cetera (if talking gazelline species, not to even mention caprids or bigger antelope or wild cattle or equid species).

Antoine, zoomaniac, TinoPup and 3 others like this.
  8. Arizona Docent

0.0.3 chacoan peccaries born May 9, 2021.

9. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Now I need to go out to Living Desert when my lady comes here next :oops: I am curious about one thing: from the concept, it seems that the black rhinos will be sharing some of the habitat with other species. Is that actually feasible? I’ve heard black rhinos tend to be the more aggressive specie compared to their counterparts, usually needing to be displayed by themselves.

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. Arizona Docent

Looks like another great project for them. With its location right inside the entrance it will make a great opening attraction. (As I cat lover I am disappointed that none of the small cats they took off exhibit a while back are going here, especially since they told me at the time they would be).

For those who didn't watch the video, here are the species mentioned:
    eastern black rhinoceros (1.1)
    springbok
    waterbuck
    pelicans (2 unnamed species)
    vulture (unnamed species)
    smaller birds (unnamed species)
    mongoose (2 unnamed species)
    naked mole rat
    warthog (new exhibit, species already part of collection)
    cape porcupine (new exhibit, species already part of collection)

12. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The latest Living Desert magazine gives more information on species they are getting for their new exhibit (Pink back and Great white pelicans, Dwarf and Banded Mongooses) as well as where they are coming from.
    Foxpaws | Summer 2021

13. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Well there are two exhibits in case they need to be separated from the other animals. Also I believe San Diego Safari Park mixes Black Rhinos in their large Savanna exhibit so it has to possible.
    @Arizona Docent when I visited last summer they said that the Sand Cats were off exhibit for breeding, I don’t know why they didn’t put in their Caracals even though it’s geographically correct and they don’t really fit in eagle canyon.
    Also I feel like the two species of mongoose being brought in isn’t being talked enough about. Isn’t that what most people here want, better representation for mongoose over meerkats. Now mongoose will be easier for people to see and enjoy instead of meerkats which you have to go off the main trail to find.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

It will be interesting to learn which vulture species will arrive at Living Desert. Too many threatened African candidates really on the books to make an informed judgement.

A tad speculation: With springbok, waterbuck and klipspringer ... could it be Cape vulture (which has a more robust presence in North American zoos). The other candidates would be hooded and Ruppell's griffon vulture.

I applaud - of course - the black rhino project at LD. My hunch though is that the 1,5 year old male is a wee bit too young in comparison to the 3 year-old cow. Ideally, you would have a bull 2+ years senior to the cow with typically bulls starting to assert themselves more at 7-10 years of age.

Antoine and StoppableSan like this.
  15. Westcoastperson

The zoos website lists it as a cape vulture that will be arriving so your assumption is correct. I would assume they would want the rhinos to be able to get used to each other before they hit breeding age so they can avoid aggressions between the two animals. They might have to considering they won’t be using the normal breeding habit of one or two males and six or so females.

16. Westcoastperson

The Hummingbird Aviary has been converted into a desert plant conservation center. You can walk through and see the botanical garden through the normal routes.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Westcoastperson

The Rhino Savanah will officially open in a few weeks on November 12.

18. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

The zoo was awarded Significant Achievement in Exhibit Design by the AZA for Australian Adventures :) Found on the main page for Honors and Awards, only 3 total winners for this year in Exhibit Design. Honors & Awards: Association of Zoos & Aquariums

19. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to the Zoo’s social media pages, the two new black rhinoceroses, Jaali and Nia, safely arrived at the zoo on Wednesday, October 20th and have both settled in well.

20. Westcoastperson

Today the zoo opened the Rhino Savanna and I haven’t seen many photos but the ones I have seen look great. Besides the very very green grass it’s all very impressive and once again the living desert did a great job with their rockwork. And from the new map it appears that the path now goes through village watutu instead of stopping by the entrance, and there are new warthog and porcupine exhibits.