Join our zoo community

The lonely wombat

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Lizard_boy, 3 Nov 2014.

1. Lizard_boy

Lizard_boy Well-Known Member

I want to start a conversation on the wombat at the QLD zoo it is in a 4 by 6 meters and the only thing the wombat has in thier is his food a log and 2 rocks and he is all alone and is pacing up and down (a sign of stress) so yeah a general discussion

2. Lizard_boy

I want to start a conversation on the wombat at the QLD zoo it is in a 4 by 6 meter enclosure and the only thing the wombat has in thier is his food a log a small hole (ment to reassemble a burrow) and 2 rocks and he is all alone and is pacing up and down (a sign of stress) so yeah a general discussion I told them my concerns but no they go ahead and encourage the baboons to give birth not look after there wombat!!!

3. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Maybe you should introduce yourself in the new members section before asking people about their views. I have already responded to one of your other questions, but good manners should tell you that it's nice to let people know who you are etc before joining a conversation, or even initiating one.

4. Lyrebird

Lyrebird Well-Known Member

Any photos of the exhibit? I see you mention it's 'all alone', it can be quite difficult finding Common Wombat individuals compatible with each other. Oh and they dig up or bulldoze a lot of their furnishings, so it can be tricky making an aesthetically pleasing exhibit for them as they tend to re-arrange it overnight. Anyways, just some things to take into account before making judgement :)

5. Suricate

Suricate Member

Wombats are naturally solitary animals, main exception is during the breeding season. Throwing another wombat in with it would most likely only cause trouble. But are you sure about the enclosure only being 4x6m? No hidden tunnels leading to other enclosures? It could have potentially been just a brief holding enclosure while another more appropriate exhibit was under construction. There might be someone on here who has more details on the matter :)

6. Lizard_boy

Sorry no photo and no hidden passegages or anything and Australia zoo has lots of wombats they could buy

7. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You have to remember that just because Australia Zoo has lots of wombats doesn't mean they want to sell. If Australia Zoo has a use for those wombats they won't be going anywhere. This is highly likely for them as they have encounters, breeding and a range of very large enclosures which all have to be catered for.

Their is also the thought that most zoos don't buy animals they trade. With Queensland Zoo being new they may not want to send off any animals or may not have anything which Australia Zoo wants. These trades can take years to get right on each end and to have the animals available.

Most importantly is the safety of the wombat. As several people have pointed out wombats can be aggressive and I have seen this first hand. I certainly wouldn't want to be the other wombat being placed into that territory.

8. Lizard_boy

Well I certainly wouldn't want to be the wombat in that territory already

9. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

If the wombat is a Contact animal it may only be in that enclosure during the day, or for short periods. MOst wombats sleep during the day too, so if this one is usually awake when you go past it is probably anticipating something, like food or a contact session.

:p

Hix