Join our zoo community

"The Man-Eating Predator in the Jungles of History and the Mind" David Quammen book talk

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 2 Apr 2021.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I found this old book talk (from 2003) on youtube by the excellent natural history / popular science author David Quammen on his book "The Man-Eating Predator in the Jungles of History and the Mind".

I thought I would post it here as I know that many of you are interested in this subject and might find the talk interesting or like to check out the book.

This is a powerful book on the subject of apex predators and human wildlife conflict around the world and specifically features the Asiatic lion, saltwater crocodile, Eurasian brown bear and Siberian tiger.

Enjoy ;)

Last edited: 2 Apr 2021
    twilighter likes this.
  2. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's an excellent book which I re-read a couple of times. I would recommend it to everyone.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Great to hear you've read it and not just once but a few times !

What did you like about it ?

Personally I thought it was a great examination of human-wildlife conflict and I liked the four case studies but thought the chapter on the Siberian tiger was the weakest of these.

I wouldn't say it was my favourite of Quammen's books as I much preferred "spillover" and "song of the dodo" but it was still an excellent read.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2021
  4. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I did like that chapter the most :) Probably because the first time I read it, I just saw the NGC documentary of some Russian National Park guys who protect the Siberian tiger in the far east.

But all chapters are good. I particularly liked the mix of cultural fixation on large predators and their struggle for survival. The book has a sence of nostalgia.

"monster of god" is excellent, but "the song of the dodo" is a true masterpiece.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Totally agree with you on that, I particularly liked the chapter on the brown bears in Romania and the Asiatic lion in India, however, like you I would say that "song of the dodo" is his magnum opus.

On the subject of Siberian tigers if you are interested in a great non-fiction book about these big cats and human-wildlife conflict in the Russian far East I really recommend John Valliant's "The tiger".

One of the best books about human-wildlife conflict and tiger conservation that I've ever read.

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant