Join our zoo community

The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore The Maryland Zoo News 2023

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 4 Jan 2023.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

On January 4th, the zoo announced that a (0.1) African penguin that hatched in December 2022 was named Gnocchi.

On January 10th, the zoo announced that a (0.0.1) African penguin was hatched, bringing up the total of the season to 5.

The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
    The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore

Last edited: 10 Jan 2023
    wild boar likes this.
  4. NAIB Volunteer

Not that this matters, but Gnocchi was hatched earlier in the season and named on January 4th. Typically, the Zoo waits about 30 days before they're named.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2023
    Smaggledagle likes this.
  5. NAIB Volunteer

Crane Barn was completed in the Fall. The renovation includes a new food prep area and flexible holding stalls for a wide variety of birds. There are five bird yards in total with the following individuals:
    1.1 Northern ground hornbill - the largest yard by the former tram station
    1.1 Lappet- faced vulture - like @Aardwolf mentioned, the yard closet to the Tiger cage
    1.1 Peafowl - the yard closet to the Mansion House
    0.1 - European white stork - small yard not in direct public view but will be at some point
    1.1 - African crowded crane - small yard adjacent to the big Hornbill yard, also not in direct public view.

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Jan 2023
  6. NAIB Volunteer

The three White-breasted cormorants who usually reside at Penguin Coast are now at the African Aviary. While the Aviary is still closed to guests due to the threat of avian influenza, guests can still see them on one side of the boardwalk. I don't think the move is permanent, just temporary for the winter. It's easier to catch the birds in the Aviary than at Penguin Coast in case of bad winter weather on the horizon.

7. Smaggledagle

8. avidzoogoer

avidzoogoer Active Member

Any giraffe pregnancies?

9. Polar bear fan

Polar bear fan Well-Known Member

None have been confirmed. There is currently only one breeding female, Kesi. She and Caesar had a calf in 2017 but nothing since then, they are encouraged to breed though. Hopefully she’s pregnant, but luck just hasn’t been great.

10. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. NAIB Volunteer

According to the Zoo's social media, Piper, the young female river otter, will be leaving the Zoo for a breeding recommendation. Their other otter, a male, will still be on exhibit in the Maryland Wilderness

Smaggledagle likes this.
  12. Polar bear fan

Hopefully they’ll get a new female for Hudson, the pair were both very valuable. I’m surprised they never bred here.

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

It's not uncommon for zoos to have difficulty breeding otters that come from different latitudes, as they don't always come into season at the same time. That was the problem we had with the one pair of NARO I ever tried breeding.

As for the genetic value - yeah, they are... but at the same time, how many other SSPs see such a constant influx of genes from the wild as NARO?

14. Polar bear fan

I didn’t know that, that’s really interesting, thank you! Hopefully he’ll get a west coast girl to replace his southern Belle then.

wild boar likes this.
  15. TinoPup

16. NAIB Volunteer

I'm curious which project will come first. The bald eagle/snowy exhibit is designed, so I would think funds are being raised for that first. I'm sure the focus now is the dreaded parking lot which is so overdo for a complete overhaul. Time will tell (and the FY24 budget hearing testimony will give some clues I'd imagine).

Polar bear fan and TinoPup like this.
  17. TinoPup

I just hope they start with some animal stuff instead of the event space!

18. NAIB Volunteer

19. Smaggledagle

On February 28th, it was announced that the zoo transferred (3.0) African penguins named Cogsworth, LeFou, and Lumiere to the Lehigh Valley Zoo in Pennsylvania.

Lehigh Valley Zoo

On March 15th, it was announced that the zoo transferred a (0.1) North American river otter named Piper to the Lehigh Valley Zoo in Pennsylvania.

Lehigh Valley Zoo

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. Polar bear fan

Today for Samson’s birthday event (or the email detailing some information about him) it was said that:

At this age, Samson spends more time with adult bull Tuffy, learning to be an adult male elephant, similar to what would happen in the wild when sexually mature males form bachelor herds.”

I know keepers were talking about introducing the boys, but has anyone seen any evidence to support this. I’ve not been to the zoo in a month or so but I’ve never seen the boys near each other, even in adjacent yards, and the volunteers and keepers have never said that they share space. I’ve only been told one time by a keeper that they were going to introduce the boys, and that was months ago, in September. With no breeding females it makes sense to introduce the boys, but it would’ve made sense years ago too. I’d appreciate any insight into the program, it at least seems to be improving in recent years.