Join our zoo community

The most miserable zoo animals in the world

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Simon Hampel, 9 Apr 2018.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Animals locked in squalid cages in Thailand's shocking zoos | Daily Mail Online

The most miserable zoo animals in the world: Heartbreaking photos show animals locked in squalid cages and tied down with rusty iron chains that are so tiny they can barely move as tourists ogle them in Thailand
    • Zoos in Thailand lock animals in tiny cages where they have no room to move, some with wire for floors
    • Elephants are secured to the floor with chains so short they can barely turn their feet and tigers help by necks
    • A crocodile had a mould-covered pool so small it couldn't even turn around and a concrete floor
    Read more: Animals locked in squalid cages in Thailand's shocking zoos | Daily Mail Online

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

This article, while shocking, would be a lot more credible, and give a lot less cause to question its motives, if it actually named the zoo or zoos in question.

3. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

I don't recognise it as being Dusit zoo in Bangkok.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Yes I did note that omission in the article and thought it was curious.

I'd imagine there are likely a lot of unofficial or private zoos around the country too.

Welsh Zootographer likes this.
  5. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

As you probably know the Mail is, in the eyes of many, more interested in generating outrage in Muddle England (a typo interesting enough to leave I think) than it is in outstanding journalism. Certainly sells well though.

PossumRoach and Brum like this.
  6. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

The Daily Mail website is, or at least was, blocked in Thailand some years ago after publishing a story about the Crown Prince (now King.)

7. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Highly unpleasant photographs. It’s like watching a car crash, isn’t it? You know you shouldn’t look and that what you see won’t be nice, but you somehow just can’t stop yourself.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  8. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Aye if they include private collections or even archive images from older establishments which have either been closed down or turned around, then they could potentially have even more material to shock with.

I'd also say some of the photos are very, well, close up. You can get a photo of a sad looking animal up to the bars or cage in nearly any zoo in the world. Heck do it right you could even get them at the barriers of vast national parks. If course close ups show the personality "more" and make for a much more grabbing image.

Others like the tiger with a collar are shown without context and thus there's no hint, save that its in a cage, on if the tiger wears it at all hours or if its used at select times for specific reasons.

Overall its a DM article therefore its built to generate shock and outrage with a significantly limited amount of actual information and detail or even expansion of its core point. It's a shame as truly shocking zoos should be held up and made accountable; thus allowing them to be either closed down or aided to resolve their issues.

FBBird likes this.
  9. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definitely not Dusit. My best guess is pata,although i think they don't have elephant.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The Daily Mail, and other media according to a quick Google search, is simply using information produced by Aaron Gekoski, an environmental photojournalist and presenter. If you look at his Facebook page you'll see photos, videos and reports of animal abuse.

11. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I think this is an amalgamation of photographs from various facilities.

12. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Many of the photos are from Pata and Phuket zoos, with others in the project from Bangkok Safari World, Phuket Safari Eco+, Samutprakarn Crocodile Zoo, and possibly smaller collections in Phuket.