Join our zoo community

The new Najade is new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Najade, 29 May 2017.

1. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Helloooo Zoochatters.
    My name is Najade from good ol' Germany. My home zoo which I also work at is Duisburg Zoo but am currently living in NZ for a few months. (Still hoping for a Kakapo tour this year and Kaikura is calling later in the year too.)

I've been lurking about this forum for a few weeks now to help me plan for my Aussie to Southeast-Asia trip. So I thought I might as well brave it and join the joint:D

With Zoochats help these are the zoos I've decided to visit in July:

Melbourne:
    -Werribee
    (-Melbourne Zoo)
    -Healesville
    -Moonlit Sanctuary (mainly for the Owlet Nightjars)
    +Melbourne Museum

Sydney
    (-Taronga (only if they still have Long-beaked Echidna))
    -Sea Life
    -Wild Life

Perth

-Perth Zoo
    -AQWA
    +Wherever I can try to find some Honey Possums
    +maybe also get some scuba diving in

Darwin
    -Territory Wildlife Park

Brisbane/Gold Coast
    -David Fleay

Basically, I'm trying to see as many Australidelphia families and species as possible plus a few other bits and pieces that are missing from my list like Dugong, Darter, Moloch, etc.

Singapur
    -Singapur Zoo
    -Night Safari
    -River Safari
    -Jurong Bird Park
    -S.E.A.

Hoping to see some Colugos there. The last Placentalia order I haven't seen yet. Fingers-crossed!

Bangkok/Pattaya
    -Pata Zoo
    -Pattaya Dolphin World

Time and finances permitting I might still add an establishment or two.

Quick question to end with:
    I was thinking of adding a few pictures to the galleries (if I can figure out how:confused:), but there seems to be none for Cushing Zoo or even Guam itself for that matter. Should I just upload them to the Micronesia album or to a US folder (as it's a territory) or is there a way to add a country?

Well anyway, that's me for now. Cya guys in the Australian section soon:cool:

PS: I've been to zoos in Australia, New Zealand, Guam, Fiji, Thailand, Taiwan, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and probably some other places that are slipping my mind right now. But as I am more interested in seeing species/families that I haven't seen before rather than going to zoos for the sake of it I probably won't break any records on that front...

animalszoos and LaughingDove like this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

hi, welcome.

You can request for new zoos (and countries/territories) to be added on this thread: Open - New Gallery Request Thread 2017 - sometimes you need to be a bit patient.

I think Taronga's long-beaked echidna is back off-show nowadays.

If you don't mind me asking, why Pata Zoo?

3. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As I know, pata zoo is quite disappointing.I think (or maybe you ask Chlidonias or Laughing Dove for opinion as they visit Thailand) you should visit Dusit Zoo or Khao Khew Zoo, as I think they have a better quality.(And I would also want to know why you'd like to visit these two,and what Dolphin World have for species)

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome to Zoochat!

For Thailand zoos I would agree that Dusit in Bangkok and Khao Kheow near Chonburi are far more interesting from your perspective for a visit.

5. Najade

@Chlidonias: Thanks for the link.

I did email Taronga and it seems that the LbE is off show. Which is a bit weird to me since that's pretty much the most interesting animal they have. But maybe there's a way to see it anyway, like on a VIP guided tour or sth.

I wanna go to Pata because they should have some interesting species there like Burmese Ferret Badger(!), Banded Linsang(!), Siberian Weasel, Hoopoe, Giant Squirrel maybe more (couldn't find a full list anywhere). At least I'm hoping that those are still there...

@aardvark250 : Pattaya Dolphin World has Irrawady Dolphins and Chinese White Dolphin.

I've been to Dusit just last year. (Didn't know about Pata back then, so kicking myself a little for that.) And, judging by LaughingDove's thread Khao Khew Zoo doesn't seem to have any species that I'm particularly interested in. The Porcupines and BoP would be nice but I will probably see those in Singapore anyway. So if I have some time to kill maybe...

6. aardvark250

That's two great species of cetaceans to see!I really don't know about this place before.Is there any others holding of these two species(Except for chimelong's chinese white dolphin?)

7. Najade

Thank you @Kifaru Bwana

@aardvark250 I think Sea World at Aussie's Gold Coast has Sousa chinensis also.
    (But 80$ entry fee. Phew. Nope.)

Last edited: 29 May 2017
  8. Chlidonias

the echidna is kept in an outdoor enclosure. Even when there were three of them they were literally never seen out in the daytime although the enclosure was (I think) technically viewable.

the humpback dolphin has been split into three (?) species quite a while back. The individual at Sea World is an Australian humpback, the only one in captivity.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you intend to travel to Queensland, Darwin and beyond, please arrange a couple of days in Kakadu - wildlife treasure trove - and on the tropical NE Queensland coastline to look out for cassowary and tree kangaroo.

10. Najade

@Chlidonias
    Do you know where that enclosure is located? And it's only one left, right?
    Does Taronga offer some sort of night tours other than Roar & Snore?

Quick search on Wikipedia says four. But you're right it's S. sahulensis. Most of the articles I've seen talked about Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin so I assumed. My mistake.

@Kifaru Bwana I won't have much time in Darwin (2, maybe 3 days). That's probably not enough for Kakadu, is it?
    And sadly I'm not gonna be able to make it to NE Queensland this time around. Only have about twenty days off and since it's the holidays flights were already not as cheap as I would have liked them to be:(
    (So Cairns and musky rat-kangaroos have to wait till my next trip.)

I've already seen all the Cassowary species. A trip to Walsrode took care of that:D

Last edited: 29 May 2017
  11. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Najade: The long-beaked echidna is still alive but kept offshow. Myself and another ZooChatter have failed to arrange a tour to see him, but you might get lucky.

Welcome to the forum!

12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

For Australia
    Featherdale wildlife park has a lot of interesting aussie animals.
    So does caversham wildlife park and perth zoo has numbats.
    There is a aquarium(i think sydney) with Dugong. And unless you haven't seen one Adelaide zoo has giant pandas.
    The alice springs wildlife center may have the best Australian animal collection with such rare animals as the kultarr.

13. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Doesnt Taronga have a leopard seal and erect crested penguin? Healesville has lyrebirds( only superb). David Fleay has lumholtz's tree kangaroo. What does this territory place have.
    Have you considered ever visiting New Guinea?
    The zoo in Port Moresby has interesting animals( riflebirds, tree kangaroos)

14. aardvark250

I think Taronga's leopard seal died in like 2015.

15. drill

drill Well-Known Member

And the penguins?

16. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One present :)

17. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member

I think quite a few Australian Zoos offer VIP tours, I have been on Endangered Species tours in Australia where they showed off-show species and other rarities within the zoo.
    May I ask where you found out Siberian Weasels? I found a Zoochat source with an image of an animal labelled Siberian Weasel but was actually a mongoose (incorrect signage), so they may not actually have them.

18. Najade

@drill
    That's another place I sadly had to skip because flights were too expensive.
    Has anyone here been to or heard of the Small Native Mammal Teaching and Research Facility at Western Sydney university?
    They should have Kultarr too according to this article: Link
    Although here they only list Red-tailed Phascogale, Spinifex Hopping-mice and Plains Rats.

Not anymore, but I did see it on my last visit. Would have been nice to see it again though.

Based on this thread and this one there should be some interesting stuff (Bats, Rock Ringtail Possum, etc.). The park doesn't seem to have a gallery yet though.

I've thought about it but it doesn't seem to be the cheapest or easiest place to get around...

@animalszoos
    I found that here.

Last edited: 30 May 2017
  19. Chlidonias

I just saw a colugo today, coincidentally, at the Penang Botanical Gardens. Took me two hours to find one though.

no, I wouldn't be able to say where the echidna is being kept now sorry.

I've never been to Pata and have no intentions to, but my understanding is that the linsang is still alive. Not sure about the ferret-badger. The Siberian weasel isn't there any more (Peter Dickinson's page which you linked to is about a 2009 visit). You'll see hoopoes in much more pleasant surroundings at Jurong in the Waterfall Aviary (aim for one of the feeding sessions). Singapore Zoo has Sri Lankan giant squirrels and Dusit Zoo has a black giant squirrel.

20. Chlidonias

technically, none present - the penguins at Taronga are Fiordland crested, not erect-crested :p

Also, there are now two: one was imported from New Zealand this month (but will still be in quarantine I guess).

Drill is trying to help, but he shouldn't be giving advice on things about which he knows little.