Join our zoo community

The newly extinct thread

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Surroundx, 1 Oct 2016.

1. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

2. Surroundx

Surroundx Well-Known Member

Rawlence, Nicolas J. et al. (In Press, 2017). Speciation, range contraction and extinction in the endemic New Zealand King Shag complex. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. Redirecting [Abstract]

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Every time I see a new post on this thread a shiver goes down my spine...

5. Surroundx

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Where do they say it is possibly extinct? The account of that species says:
    "conservation status
    This species is currently considered to be Data Deficient (DD), according to the IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria. It is only known from two individuals, both with incomplete locality information, and one of which is an old specimen from 1942. Further research is needed to check the population status, threats and habitat."

Several species in that paper are known from only one or a few specimens, but I can't see anywhere that says mammuthus is possibly extinct.

7. Surroundx

I misread the etymology:

"It is also larger than its nearest relative Cynorkis elephantina, possibly extinct in the wild and only known from dried specimens."

Chlidonias likes this.
  8. Surroundx

The conservation status for Cynorkis elephantina is as follows:

"conservation status
    This species is currently considered to be Least Concern (LC), according to the IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria. It is known from many individuals, at a single unprotected locality, in the shade on basaltic rock, but appears to be distant from the nearest human settlements and roads, no obvious imminent threats are apparent. Further research is needed to check the population status, threats and habitat."

I thought that they must therefore be referring to C. mammuthus, since it would be absurd to refer to a species (viz. C. elephantina) as both least concern and possibly extinct!!!

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Actually, reading that it I'd agree it is referring to mammuthus (i.e. larger than elephantina, extinct, and known only from dired specimens). However that doesn't agree with what they were saying earlier in that the locality data for the two known specimens are incomplete so they don't even know exactly where the plants came from, and that further study is needed. Perhaps the discrepancy is due to a rewrite of the paper and some bits got missed in the edits.

Surroundx likes this.
  10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member