Join our zoo community

The Nonsense Thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by ThylacineAlive, 30 Oct 2012.

1. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I guess it was only a matter of time before scammers went down this route. Recent phishing email:

"I am a widow from Syrian Damascus my family and I was affected by the chemical weapon in Syrian which has led to the death of my husband and children.. I need an honest and a trust worthy person like you to help me retrieve my family treasure amounting to USD7.2 Million I will be glad if you can assist me"

SealPup likes this.
  2. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is nothing sacred? :eek: I'm not entirely sure why i'm surprised, but this seems to be a new low in scamming!

3. nanoboy

Not at all! Scammers target greedy people and those who genuinely want to help (like giving donations etc). The fact that it references chemical weapons (which is an old story) suggests that this email has been doing the rounds for a while.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My grandmother got a phone call not too long ago and the caller said, "This is your granddaughter. My girlfriend and I were vacationing in the Dominican, were drinking a bit, and have gotten into some legal trouble." They went on to ask for money of course. Thankfully, she gave none.

~Thylo:cool:

5. nanoboy

One of my colleagues got an email from his former boss saying that he was on holiday in Africa, got robbed and needed money ASAP. The email seemed legit, so he called the guy to confirm.

Turns out that the guy's email had been hacked, and the scammers were emailing his contacts using his actual account, and piggybacking off previous email exchanges to make it look even more legit.

I guess the moral is to never transfer money unless you are 100% sure that the request is legit.

SealPup likes this.
  6. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Never ever send money in response to those "I've been robbed wire me money" emails, always call them first.

I always use a long, complicated password on my accounts and if you can get two factor authentication use that too. That reduces ones chances of being hacked.

I'm very picky about who I give my charity money to.

7. Youssarian

Youssarian Well-Known Member

I know I'm not a ~super active~ poster around here but I am a constant lurker and I'm excited to say that I recently started an internship at my zoo. I'm so excited to actually be a part of the zookeeping world now! Hopefully it leads to a paid position in the future. I'm enjoying it a lot so far and looking forward to the rest of the summer.

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

9. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I see what you mean...
    I'm surprised the video didn't mention the second law of thermodynamics which is what creationists often use to 'disprove' evolution. (or it may have done when I mentally switched off halfway through with such nonsense.

10. Chlidonias

I particularly liked #8 at 11.13 where he says "Evolutionists however will not admit that their belief is a religion. Why? My opinion is because it would violate the First Amendment of the Constitution which prohibits the government from supporting any one religion - and evolution is taught in public schools in the United States. Therefore just like public schools are forbidden from leading students in prayer because prayer is a religious matter, they would also be forbidden from teaching evolution."

Totally logical analysis :D

I've been watching quite a few Creationist videos today because they are so funny. But even I couldn't get all the way through Megan Fox at the Field Museum. (No, sadly not that Megan Fox).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32mxZxv3dYM

11. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I got up to 2:17 of that video and thought 'yes, I've managed to get to the end!' and then I realised it was a 30 minute video... :p

12. Chlidonias

just skip straight to the comments section, it's hilarious.

13. ThylacineAlive

I just watched this...

#1-7 are just bizarre, 8-9 are totally insane, and 10 is just stupid.

I think it's funny that he doesn't seem to know that a Plesiosaur isn't a Dinosaur, evolution isn't suppose to have taken place over 6 thousand years, and that most fossils are incomplete and written records by man are, too.

14. ThylacineAlive

But that's when it starts to get really funny!:D

EDIT: Skip to 18:28-23:56! Holy crap this lady is crazy!

..and 27:50.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2016
  15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There is not time enough in the universe for me to waste a second of it watching that :p

16. wensleydale

17. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

18. wensleydale

Could someone explain the impending "Brexit" vote to me? I think I have a pretty good idea of what its all about (And the U.K. has always sort of been into doing its own thing, hasn't it) but it would be nice to hear about it from someone who actually lives in Britain.

19. nanoboy

Another phishing email I received recently:

"Attn: Sir/Madam

My name is Atkins Thomson, a legal practitioner based here in London, United Kingdom and personal attorney to late Robert Fitzpatrick an American who was a contractor with the Shell UK Limited, who shall be referred to as my client,

Robert Fitzpatrick unfortunately lost his life in a terrorist attack in Philippines on the 4th March, 2003 during one of his trip to Asia, and left no clear beneficiary as Next of Kin except some vital documents related to the deposit with me.
    Particularly, the finance company where the deceased had the said fund valued at US$10,500,000.00 (Ten Million Five Hundred Thousand United Sates Dollars Only) has issued me a notice to provide the next of kin. I am seeking your co -operation to present you as the next of kin to the account. Our sharing ratio will be 40% for you, 50% for me and 10% for reimbursement of any expenditure we may incur.

If you are interested, you should reply back immediately and as well include your full name , address and direct phone number so we could discuss more as regard the transaction.
    Thank you and Please treat this with utmost confidentiality. I wait your urgent response.

Regards,
    Atkins Thomson, Esq."

20. Chlidonias

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝq llᴉʍ ʇxǝʇ ɹnoʎ ˙ǝɹǝɥdsᴉɯǝɥ uɹǝɥʇnos ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝN

birdsandbats likes this.