Join our zoo community

The Ottawa Zoo that wasn't

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kingoffreaks, 26 Mar 2020.

1. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This cool article about a planned zoo for the Ottawa Area was posted in the Old Zoos page on Instagram.
    Apparently in the 70s a world class zoo was in the works for Ottawa, it was crippled by politics.
    However a 176 page preliminary report was written which included what animals to get and how many of each.
    I would love to read the report if anyone has a digital copy or could suggest where to start looking for it.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...JVT_b5zLrFu8Jla0uGqVyUWMHsrDuvMhfrC3A03pAnn_4

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw this same article a while back. Guess with everything going on it was time to repost an old article and pretend it was new news. Oh journalists. I'm pretty sure I posted a thread about this back when I first saw it. Maybe a few years ago.

It wasn't until reading the article that it struck me our capital doesn't have a national zoo. It does seem strange. Sounds like it would have been a decent zoo that wouldn't have rivalled Toronto or Calgary but definitely given a solid zoo. These days there is no chance the situation will ever change. Oh what could have been though.