Join our zoo community

The Princeton Encyclopedia of Mammals

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by savethelephant, 10 Aug 2015.

1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hey guys, so I was wondering if this book might be useful for me. I am seriously considering getting it but I want to know what your opinions of it is first.
    Thanks in advance!
    Here's a link to Amazon.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Encyclopedia-Mammals-David-Macdonald/dp/0691140693/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8"]The Princeton Encyclopedia of Mammals: David W. Macdonald: 9780691140698: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

2. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

David MacDonald's Encyclopedia of Mammals has long been an important part of my library. I highly recommend it.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I would also highly recommend it. I've got the 2006 version and it is not quite as long as the 976-page, 2009 version that you provided the link for but it is still around 940 pages. In terms of bang for your buck there aren't many nature-themed books out there that are comparable in terms of quality for the price you pay.

4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I worked in a library, the David McDonald book was the only mammal book I recommended to be purchased. It is good value for money with lots of illustrations. I hope that future editions will be a bit more balanced, though. The first edition comprised 2 volumes: the first had primates, whales and carnivores, while the second contained all the other mammals.

5. savethelephant

Thank you guys very much for your replies! I already own Animal by Roger Priddy but it is a bit outdated!

6. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

If you can get the newest version in hardback do so. The binding on the paperback is very weak.

7. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have the original two volume hardback version of “Encyclopaedia of Mammals” (David MacDonald;1984). How time flies, it is hard to believe I have had it for over thirty years. This is a very attractive publication, well illustrated with lots of coloured pictures.

Although I am not familiar with the more recent edition, I concur with the other posters; this is an excellent work, that is thoroughly recommended. However, good as this book is, I prefer “Walker’s Mammals of the World” so I also agree with “Dassie rat” that anybody interested in mammals should get a copy of “Walker” too.

These two publications were my favourite mammal reference books for many years; although both are excellent, I guess both will be superseded by the “Handbook of the Mammals of the World”.

9. savethelephant

Well the HMW is a little pricey for me:p

10. savethelephant

Has just been ordered!:D

Last edited: 16 Aug 2015
  11. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I ordered The Princeton Encyclopedia of Mammals a few weeks ago thanks to recommendations here and it arrived today.
    Although I haven't had enough time to look into it very thoroughly yet, I have had a cursory look and it seems very good!