Join our zoo community

The rediscovery thread

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Surroundx, 27 Sep 2014.

1. Surroundx

Surroundx Well-Known Member

Reports of rediscovery are regularly made in the literature, but most of the species concerned are not of any great interest to readers of this forum judging by the number of views most of my threads get. So I thought I'd start a single thread to centralize all of these species, so as not to flood the board.

2. Surroundx

Bayartogtokha, Badamdorj and Ermilov, Sergey G. (2014). Rediscovery of Arthrodamaeus rossicus (Acari: Oribatida: Gymnodamaeidae) with remarks on its generic status and ontogeny of the genus. International Journal of Acarology DOI:10.1080/01647954.2014.962085 [Abstract]

3. Surroundx

4. Surroundx

Singh, Sudhir. (2014). Rediscovery of Termitoloemus Marshalli Baranov (diptera: Calliphoridae: Bengaliinae), A Predator of Termites, after 78 Years. The Indian Forester 140(9): 928-931. [Abstract]

5. Surroundx

6. Surroundx

Are people interested in local rediscoveries? Because I come across heaps of those. For example, the Bristled grassbird has been rediscovered in Bangladesh after 135 years:

Tangents | Rediscovered After 135 Years

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Moderator Staff Member

Any rediscoveries that you post about are appreciated, Surroundx. Some of us are interested in them. Thanks for starting this thread, and good to see you back on the forum.

8. Surroundx

Thanks, David! It's good to be back :)

I shall endeavour to list all rediscoveries then, whether local or global, in the future *thumbs up*

For those who are interested, I have started an "article" listing all local rediscoveries here:

The Recently Extinct Plants and Animals Database cubit: List of local rediscoveries

Currently it is very incomplete, with basically all citations post-dating 1990, but I am always adding to it.

9. Surroundx

"A protected snake species, which was thought to be extinct in Romania, was recently discovered, the Romanian Ornithological Society announced. The discovery was first made by an inhabitant in Lunca Dunarii plain, who contacted the society, which then organized a team to investigate the discovery.

They found 10 sand boa snakes – Eryx jaculus – which is the rarest snake in Romania, believed to have been extinct for 80 years. The snake, which is also called two- headed as its tail resembles its head to protect it from predators, is a constrictor snake, who eats mainly rodents. The last time such a snake was found in Romania was in 1937, in the village of Cochirleni."

Rare boa snake believed to be extinct for 80 years in Romania, recently discovered | Romania-Insider.com

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

Very intresting information you are providing us, many thanks for that and if I come across some rediscoveries, I surtainly will add them too.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2014
  11. Surroundx

Please do share your finds vogel, here and on the Sixth Extinction Forum! :)

12. Surroundx

Takeuchi, Cátia et al. (2014). Callianthe montana, a new combination for Abutilon montanum (Malvaceae, Malvoideae), a rediscovered species endemic to the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil. Phytotaxa 177(5): 298-300. [Abstract]

13. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

Machu Picchu arboreal chinchilla rat!

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

This does not surprise me. Why should a snake, even a rare one, become extinct in a rural country like Romania unless it was heavily persecuted for some reason. Its more a case that no one has noticed it I would think.

15. Surroundx

I would say that most rediscoveries (whether local or global) are actually relocations. Finding a species again after a significant period of time while it was never really feared extinct, or that fear was unjustified.

I Googled Eryx jaculus and found this article which documents a road killed specimen from September 2011, so I'm a little confused about its conservation status in Romania:

Eryx jaculus (Reptilia, Boidae) north of Danube: a road-killed specimen from Romania | Covaciu-Marcov | Acta Herpetologica

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

I would imagine that with a species such as this which lives in a heavily rural region, and looks reasonably non-descript, part of the issue will be those sightings that have been made going unreported. Certainly species over here such as slow worm and common lizard are suspected to be much more widespread in the north-east than reported, for much this reason.

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

I think 'Feared Extinct' is actually quite a popular term used by the Press, to hype-up rediscoveries to qive them more exciting emphasis. Obviously some species really are 'feared extinct' e.g. Thylacine, Night Parrot etc but for many others, this doesn't really apply- but it sounds more interesting than 'gone unnoticed' or that 'just nobody looked for it for six decades'...;)

18. vogelcommando

19. vogelcommando

20. vogelcommando