Join our zoo community

The Small Train

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jane Doe, 18 Jul 2015.

1. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Well-Known Member

I was told the Train (The Rio Grand) which is very popular is going from the zoo because it keeps breaking down not bad considering I was also told it was completely refurbished and had a new paint job last year (or was I being spun a yarn)that is why it wasn't there for the beginning of the season

I would think the loss of the train will not be very welcomed especially if it is replaced by something like crazy golf for instance(just a thought), the little train could be used by parents who have very small children.

Ok I am going back a bit now but when the train was run by Brian Hall I cant remember it ever breaking down but it used to go for an over hall was a year or 2 and the tracks were checked if it needed more sleepers then they were done in the winter when the zoo was a bit quieter.

The loss of the train will be yet another thing gone from the old days no wonder people think Twycross has been sold and got new owners.

I feel Twycross is getting more and more like a small Theme Park

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I know I shouldn't take the bait, but....

How on earth can the loss of an extraneous attraction - such as a train - be taken as evidence that Twycross is "getting more and more like a small theme park"?

3. Jane Doe

Bearing in mind this is just MY OPINION and other people have said the same thing and they are just the general paying public. Well look at it they have got the Wet and Wild Splash Park and then if they do do something like crazy golf heaven for bid it would probably be something they can charge for.

4. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where has crazy golf came from?

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Funny that you should comment about it becoming a theme park but correct me if I am wrong,but wasn't the management that you worship that brought the train in,and I am sure they also had some other rides like a merry go round that kids could go on,so if so it was the founders of the zoo that started the theme park!!!

You have to remember times change as do attitudes of what people expect!

As for you question about the train breaking downing it certainly has alot more in recent years,but then when the staff that operate change on a regular basis,then things that should be done daily in regards of maintenance can a be forgotten,and then things go wrong more often!

6. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I heard Danny chimp ran it off the site after the tooting proved too much!!:D

7. monkeyarmy

monkeyarmy Well-Known Member

This thread looks like you've typed up a drunken rant from a late one at the pub.

I prefer crazy golf to trains. But then I'd prefer to pull my own toe nails off than visit Twycross any way

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Jane Doe has not visited Twycross in years either, so you have something in common :p

9. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How would a new paint job affect its reliability?

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They used thicker paint, which altered the centre of gravity and so more damage was done to the track. :D

11. Jane Doe

I don't know why I bother to put things on because all that happens is I get sniped at so you all win I wont bother to put anything anymore so to hell with you all.

12. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I think it's the fact that you appear to be so bitter, so myopic, and so wholly unwilling - or unable - to acknowledge that the current management of the zoo are making some progress. Your persistent banging of the same drum doesn't do you any favours, either. A pity, because the knowledge you have of the zoo's history, and the individual histories of some of the animals that live there, is clearly deep and valuable. Ultimately, however, the unpleasantness of the way in which you express yourself devalues the material you post, whether that material is informative (as when you recently gave interesting background to the individual chimpanzees at the zoo) or opinionated (as when you point out - again - that the zoo is, in your opinion, not being well run). You just come across as a rather sad, angry and rude person - which is a pity.

13. Jane Doe

Thank you for the kind words, unfortunately I admit I do dislike the people in charge of the zoo now and I didn't like the previous one either, yes things do need to move on and be brought up to date.

Thank you for saying what you did about me knowing the history of the chimps at twycross that all comes from working with them from 1984 to when my keeper carrier was finished in 2012.

14. stulch

stulch Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I couldn't agree more with this post.

15. monkeyarmy

monkeyarmy Well-Known Member

Were you sacked by the new management Jane Doe??

16. Jane Doe

NO I never had the pleasure of working for the new management I left when the foot and mouth hit WHY ???

17. TeaLovingDave

One of these facts is not like the other :p but I believe the first post is the reason monkeyarmy asked that question.

However, in this particular case I believe there *is* a reason for the contradiction, but it is not my place to post this information if Jane Doe has not posted the explanation themselves.

18. Jane Doe

I have a split personality one of me left and the other one didn't and NO they were NOT SACKED

19. TeaLovingDave

That's one way to put it :p

20. Jane Doe

Thank you I thought it best not to go into everything