Join our zoo community

The state of monitor lizard species and exhibits in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by DavidBrown, 4 Dec 2011.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There have been some cool shots of Salvator's monitor lizards and other monitor lizards floating around the gallery lately and it got me wondering about the state of this group in zoos.

Komodo dragons seem to have entered the pantheon of zoo superstar species status with exhibits dedicated to them being opened in zoos around the world.

Where are the great monitor lizard exhibits in the zoo world for species other than Komodo dragons? Monitor lizards seem to be featured in all of the reptile houses that I have experienced, but usually they are in large standard reptile house terrariums. Are there any special monitor lizard exhibits out there?

Looking at the Wikipedia page on monitor lizards, I see that there are approximately 75 species of monitor lizards. Are most or all of them kept in captivity does anyone know (zoos and/or the pet trade)? What zoo has the highest diversity of monitor lizards on display?

2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Dallas has one of the biggest collections with Crocodile, Perentie, Komodo, Black-Necked on exhibit, plus Gray's off exhibit. There are a few others as well.

3. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cincinnati opened an entire exhibit based around monitors last summer. The exhibit is called Dragons! and features the Crocodile Monitor, Green Tree Monitor, Komodo Dragon, Quince Monitor, and the Spiny-tailed Monitor. The zoo also exhibits the Blue Tree Monitor and the Ornate Monitor in the Reptile House, and the Black Tree Monitor in the World of the Insect. Savannah Monitors and Black-throated Monitors are used in the animal education program and are often out-and-about around the zoo with docents. None of the exhibits are anything spectacular, but they're all of at least average quality. Some are on the smaller side, however.

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One of the best that I've ever seen is the lace monitor exhibit at Melbourne Zoo. It's not often that reptiles get open-air, immersion style exhibits so that helps make this one stand out in my memory. ?I tried doing a search in the gallery but there weren't any results. It's got fake mud bank-style walls and has two viewing areas.

5. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Slight deviation here folks, but with so many monitor enthusiasts in one place, I just have to ask: can someone please identify the monitor in the screen shot from the Terra Nova TV series?

The series is filmed on the Gold Coast in Australia, so I am inclined to believe that it is a native species. I could be wrong though...

Cheers.

Attached Files:

6. LizardInsanity

LizardInsanity Well-Known Member

Its indeed a native lace monitor. I've also seen green tree pythons, bearded dragon, and an olive python in the lab area.

7. nanoboy

Yup, those were easier to identify.

Are you sure that is a lace monitor? Many of the pics on websites seem to show a darker lizard....

8. LizardInsanity

LizardInsanity Well-Known Member

Its definitely a lace monitor. Their color varies a bit.

Redirect Notice

9. nanoboy

Cheers!

There is a thread about Terra Nova in the TV, Movies Forum. Feel free to join in the discussion!