Join our zoo community

The third vote

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by savethelephant, 8 Apr 2016.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I would like to nominate the following photograph taken by devilfish; almost certainly one of the most unique and envy-inducing in Zoochat history:

Andean cat! March 2016 | ZooChat

[​IMG]

Arizona Docent likes this.
  2. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Alright looks like we have our 10 (albeit a bit late....). I'll try to put the poll up by tomorrow :)

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

It appears that we have 10 photos; according to the rules of the competition, I suppose that means there are no more nominations to make. That being said, I've noticed that 7 of these 10 photos are from Europe (and only 1 of those from continental Europe). Additionally, 9 (!) of the 10 photos were all taken by British photographers, the lone exception being the bharal photo taken by Chlidonias. Perhaps there could be an allowance for more nominations from other regions and nationalities?

(With that being said, I do believe that the nominated photos are all excellent enough to be worthy of consideration.)

4. savethelephant

Thank you for your suggestion, but I don't really think it would matter too much if they all come from one area. If there just happen to be more photographers and more worthy photos in said area, then so be it.

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agreed - people were free to nominate any photo from any region. These are the choices, now please create the poll so we can vote.

6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Although the long wait for nominations somewhat torpedoes Coelocanth's point and the one I'm about to make, I do think that in the future a more rigorous approach to photo selection would be good. I don't really think that the final list should feature one photographer more than once; and I don't think that it should be decided by simply the first 10 nominations, which is very vulnerable to being weakened by one person's poor judgement.
    Having an open long list that anything can be submitted to, and then an initial round of voting (perhaps with multiple votes per person) to select a shortlist would seem to be much more likely to produce a high quality final round that truly represents the best of the last year.
    The big problem is that there just doesn't seem to be the interest to make this work, but I think with a little "marketing" around the site more interest could be generated.

7. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think there is enough interest, but marketing does need to be better FG, I agree. This exercise has passed me by for one.

I think the biggest challenge for us on the board interested in photography is sorting the wheat from the chaff in the gallery. Its very difficult to keep on top of, when many many (many!) entries on there are poor snapshots of empty enclosures. I recognise that's what many are interested in, but nevertheless, this does create a challenge.

Maybe with the new board we could have a section where we can post images directly, for sharing and critique among those who are into zoo photography? just an idea!

8. savethelephant

And how would you suggest filtering said wheat from chaff? (Of course the pictures we have selected for this year are all very high quality)
    And yes, I agree 100% on the issue of this not getting enough attention as it should. In the first vote there were dozens of voters and I would consider this well voted if we got half of that so.
    Ah well, with nearly 10,000 members we should be able to find some good ones even through those enclosure pics ;)

9. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Let me make it clear I'm not suggesting any chaff was nominated here. My point is there are many notable photographs being buried in the volume of entries in the gallery. Its not really possible for anyone to keep up with all that's posted, especially the way the gallery is formatted where there is a sub-forum for each country.

I'm not sure of the answer. As I suggested above, maybe we could post photo threads in this section of the forum rather than the gallery, or in addition to it. That way those of us interested in photography could share images, discussion and feedback.

10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am flattered to have three images nominated in this thread, but I agree that it would be better if we had one image per photographer. I would be happy to select one of my nominated images to go forward into the final ballot if that would help.