Join our zoo community

The traveling Najade is traveling - WA? Why Not?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Najade, 17 Apr 2018.

1. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

This is gonna be my thread for Western Australia. Did a stint in the south-west for a little over a week and just moved to the Pilbara.

Went to two zoos so far:
    Armadale Reptile & Wildlife Centre
    Perth Zoo
    as well as Barna Mia.

The rest of the trip was wildlife stuff and we'll see how things go up north as they happen.

jayjds2 likes this.
  2. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Day 1

I got my Atlas rental and headed for Armadale.
    (I'd hoped to do Perth Zoo in the beginning of my trip to avoid the school holidays but I was still in talks about the possibility of going bts at the time so couldn't and Kanyana had decided to take the Boodie off their meet and greet list, so I scratched a visit there altogether.)

Armadale Reptile & Wildlife Centre

@LaughingDove's review here was my main reason for going as I wanted to see the four legless lizard species. Sadly it seems like there's only one left.
    Overall the place is nice but there were a couple too many enclosures that seemed just sort of filled up with Stimson's Pythons and there wasn't really much conversation to be had with or info to be had from the keepers...

Animals checked off my list:
    Fraser's Legless Lizard

Animals not checked off my list:
    Gray’s Legless Lizard
    Common Scaly-foot

Animals seen (wild):
    Red Wattlebird
    Galah

Onwards to Dryandra it was the usual ravens, ringnecks and bronzewings. Arriving there I got my first of many Western Grey Kangaroos of this trip.

Barna Mia nocturnal tour
    At the tour ($20/$15,50 concession; need to book in advance but no minimum number required) we were only a group of three and so got to go into both predator-proof exclosures (Barna Mia 1 and 2). The tour starts with a short PPP talk about conservation, the centre's work, the animals etc. Then we headed out to the feeding stations (three per exclosure). Most animals come into the first station and then it becomes continuously less. Mala, Woylie and Bilby were always around and easy to see. We also had a couple of Brushtails around that come into the exclosures for a feed. Boodies only came around in Barna Mia 2 and we only saw one Quenda.

Animals seen:
    Wurrup
    Boodie
    Quenda

Dalgyte
    Woylie
    Common Brushtail Possum

Animals not seen:
    Marl

After the tour I went for a bit of spotlighting walking the Wandoo Walk where I saw Common Brushtails, Eastern Greys and had good views of a Red-tailed Phascogale. After that I drove around for a bit and got a Woylie and Barn Owl on Gura Road, two more Woylies on another road in the upper north-western area and another Common Brushtail pulling into the Arboretum parking area.

Animals seen:
    Kenngoor
    Common Brushtail Possum
    Woylie
    Western Grey Kangaroo
    Barn Owl

Next up: Dryandra

Last edited: 17 Apr 2018
    jayjds2 and LaughingDove like this.
  3. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Day 2

Dryandra

I took the path at the Arboretum, then left at the cross-section and walked back via Marri and Tomingley Road. A midday drive around only added one species to the list.

Animals seen:
    Mardo
    Western Grey Kangaroo

Painted Buttonquail
    Western Rosella
    Varied Sittella
    Striated Pardalote
    Spotted Pardalote
    Rufous Treecreeper
    Weebill
    Western Thornbill
    Western Golden Whistler
    Australian Magpie
    Willie Wagtail
    Scarlet Robin
    Western Yellow Robin
    Singing Honeyeater
    Dusky Woodswallow
    White-browed Babbler
    Grey Shrike-thrush
    Red-capped Robin

In the evening I got Western Greys, Common Brushtails and a Woylie again.

Next up: Stirling Range Retreat

Last edited: 17 Apr 2018
    jayjds2 likes this.
  4. MattyP

MattyP Well-Known Member

I’m going to have to find my Mammal Identification Guide to look up some of these animals, because I have no idea of what they are...

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

Are you maybe going to finish the other threads as well? :p

6. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

I'm sure now that I have some more time again I'll get around to it...maybe:p

7. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Day 3
    On the three hour drive I saw Galah and Australian Ringneck.

Stirling Range Retreat

When I arrived at the retreat I got some good advice from the woman at reception and had a wander around. I didn't go on any of the longer walks but mainly stayed in the camping area and got two Shrike-tits and some other stuff after only a short search.

Animals seen:
    Yellow-rumped Thornbill
    Inland Thornbill
    Spooted Pardalote
    Striated Pardalote
    Western Spinebill
    Yellow-plumed Honeyeater
    Red Wattlebird
    New Holland Honeyeater
    White-cheeked Honeyeater
    Gilbert's Honeyeater
    White-winged Triller
    Western Crested Shrike-tit
    Rufous Whistler
    Australian Magpie
    Grey Fantail
    Willie Wagtail
    Australian Raven
    Western Yellow Robin
    Silvereye
    Tree Martin

Next up: Cheynes Beach

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jul 2018
  8. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Cheynes Beach
    Because the day was still young I decided to drive on to Cheynes. Got a map and advice on where to go at the Caravan park. I went to the scrubbird site first but only had a very unsatisfactory run-across-the-path out of the corner of my eye and some silvereyes. As middle of the day isn't the best time I headed for the heath-areas behind the car park to scout out some potential flowers for honey possums later (saw cuckoo, honeyeater, firetail). Met some other birders and went back with one of them to the scrubbird site. While we were waiting a group of very showy fairywren came around for a visit and then we got lucky and the scrubbird ran across the path about a meter away from us so we had some good views:)
    Because it was getting dark I didn't have time to look for the other skulkers or the rock parrots.
    After dark I went back to the flower patches but only saw a stick-insect and no possums. At the caravan park there was a mop of western greys grazing and I surprised a quenda that was trying to sneak past me when I turned on my head-torch (it literally had a caught in the headlights expression on it's face:D). With no honey possums I decided to give Sterling another go and headed back. On the road out from Cheynes I had a Quokka passing my way.

Animals seen:
    Quenda
    Quokka
    Western Grey Kangaroo

Pacific Gull
    Noisy Scrubbird
    Brush Bronzewing
    Fan-tailed Cuckoo
    Grey Currawong
    Red-winged Fairywren
    (Southern Emu-wren)
    New Holland Honeyeater
    White-breasted Robin
    Silvereye
    Red-eared Firetail

King's Skink

Stick-insect

Next up: Stirling Range Retreat (by night)

Last edited by a moderator: 11 May 2018
  9. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Bluff Knoll Road
    Coming back I drove up and down Bluff Knoll Road before going to the retreat. Didn't see any honey possums here, but got another Quokka.

Animals seen:
    Quokka
    Western Grey Kangaroo

Stirling Range Retreat
    I'd been told before to check the banksias in the pool area and when I went there around midnight I got one honey possum that stuck around for a bit in the one right opposite the gate to the pool. After a couple minutes it was joined by a pygmy-possum on the same plant. I checked back a couple more times during the night but didn't have any more sightings.

Animals seen:
    Noolbenger
    Mundarda

Next up: Perup

Last edited: 18 Apr 2018
    LaughingDove likes this.
  10. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member

Wurrup, Kenngoor, Dalgyte and Mardo are new names for me too, so I looked it up. Here is a "translation":

Wurrup = Mala = Rufous Hare Wallaby
    Boodie = Burrowing Bettong
    Quenda = Southern Brown Bandicoot
    Dalgyte = Greater Bilby
    Woylie = Brush-tailed Bettong
    Mardo = Yellow-footed Antechinis
    Kenngoor = Red-tailed Phascogale

MattyP and Najade like this.
  11. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

I'll leave further translations to you @AWP ;)

12. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Day 4

Bluff Knoll Road

Had another go at the road early morning. Only spotted one mammal.

Animals seen:
    Kwoora

Had a quick look at Mt Trio car park but didn't see the Western Whipbird that's supposed to be there and then it was off to Perup.

Animals seen (on the road):
    Carnaby's Black Cockatoo
    Wedge-tailed Eagle
    Australian Wood-duck

13. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Perup
    I drove around during the day but it was overcast and Perup isn't great for birds anyways.

Animals seen:
    Willie Wagtail
    Western Golden Whistler
    White-browed Scrubwren
    Scarlet Robin
    Grey Fantail

During my first night drive around 8pm I saw three quendas, a woylie, a western grey and a tyto-type owl.
    The second drive around 2am yielded common brushtails, two woylies and a tawny frogmouth.

Animals seen:
    Quenda
    Common Brushtail Possum
    Woylie
    Western Grey Kangaroo
    Tawny Frogmouth

14. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Perup Nature Guesthouse
    After that I went back to Perup Nature Guesthouse for some on-foot spotlighting:
    At the main accommodation area I had great views of a brush-tailed phascogale and quenda and common brushtail at the lookout over the lake. At the start of the Ringtail Walk I had another quenda come very close to sniff my shoes and what might have been a quoll (couldn't 100% ID it, before it ran off). On the trail I had a couple more brushies and another phascogale. At the car park I found a mob of western greys. On the Bandicoot Scoot I found common brushtails, a tammar wallaby and a slender treefrog.
    Another night drive around 5:45am only got me another Woylie.

Animals seen:
    Wambenger
    Quenda
    Common Brushtail Possum
    Woylie
    Tammar Wallaby
    Western Grey Kangaroo
    Slender Treefrog

Next up: more Perup

15. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member

I can live with most of your mammal sightings, as I've seen the species in the wild or in zoos, but honey possums is something else. A species I would love to see (I had a slight hope that it was kept by Perth Zoo), so I'm a bit jealous!

Fine, here they are:

Kwoora = Western Brush Wallaby
    Wambenger = Brush-tailed Phascogale (I knew this one!)
    Noolbenger = Honey Possum
    Mundarda = Western Pygmy Possum

The last one reminds me to look up which species I saw several years ago on Kangaroo Island.

Walpurti is next? Or maybe Ngwayir? (translations will follow if @Najade has actually seen these species)

Najade likes this.
  16. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Day 5

Perup

Another day of driving around got me two more western brush wallabies (+some extra stuff) and my main target around 2pm on Corbalup Road when I'd just decided to move on. (I feel like half the time as soon as you give up all the animals come out of the woodwork just to mock ya...)

Animals seen:
    Walpurti
    Kwoora
    Western Grey Kangaroo

Scarlet Robin
    Western Yellow Robin

Heath Monitor

Barna Mia
    Back at Dryandra I had another go at the nocturnal tour and even though we went into both areas and the guide took me out again after everyone else had left we couldn't find any Barred Bandicoots:(

Animals seen:
    Wurrup
    Boodie
    Quenda
    Dalgyte
    Woylie
    Common Brushtail Possum
    Southern Boobook

Animals not seen:
    Marl

Next up: Dryandra

Last edited: 18 Apr 2018
    Swampy and AWP like this.
  17. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

I had seen some on the last trip although it wasn't great views. This time I only got the one.

Other trip reports make it sound like you will just fall all over them in the right areas, but I wasn't that lucky. Maybe I'm not great at finding them or it was the wrong season or those other people had thermal imagers I don't know...:confused:

There's only Little or Western Pygmy-possum around, I think.

What about Marl?:p

18. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Interlude: Dryandra vs Perup

Both places are good for mammals, but Perup doesn't have a lot of birdlife, which makes the stretches between seeing mammals pretty dull and boring.
    Dryandra has parking spots and nice walking trails that are missing at Perup, which is pretty much all roads, the main one at 100km/h which I didn't enjoy because I always felt like there would be a car coming up behind me as soon as I slowed down for too long. Even the dirt roads seem fairly well used. The only real walking trails were at the guesthouse which requires you to fork out a lot of money (starting at $120). Dryandra also felt a bit smaller and more compact in general (trees not as high, areas more well marked, etc.)

Wifi is spotty in both but at Dryandra I had a good connection at the Lol Gray picnic area as well as a parking spot on Coolbardie Road. At Perup I got a decent connection when I pulled into the second overgrown "road" on the right at the start of Corbalup road.

19. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member

Day 6

I had a look at the Lol Gray Trail but only got honeyeaters and silvereyes.

Ochre Trail
    Had a daytime walk up to the small ridge and back. One of each mammal and seven shrike-tits.

Animals seen:
    Nyingarn
    Mardo

Australian Ringneck Parrot
    Rufous Treecreeper
    Striated Pardalote
    Western Spinebill
    Western Crested Shrike-tit
    Grey Shrike-thrush
    Willie Wagtail
    Black-faced Woodswallow
    Singing Honeyeater

Next up: the most frustrating thing

jayjds2 likes this.
  20. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member

I know, but one of them is very rare according to Menkhorst. I guess the rare one is the Little Pygmy Possum, so seeing the Western is more likely.

Reading about Dyandra en Perup, I was expecting Walpurti aka Numbat, but amazing that you actually saw it in the wild!

How many strange names are left?

Nyingarn = Short-beaked Echidna
    Marl = Western Barred Bandicoot